abnormal pap/ hpv, need support

ut804

sooo I had my first abnormal pap test, lucky me apparently everyone has this HPV and yet it usually your body gets rid of it, and yet my immune system couldn't clear it up. it's always something when I go to the gyno.. I have been diagnosed with PCOS, UTI, bacterial vaginosis, yeast infection, and now squamos cells or whatever it is called. and I don't have health insurance.

my gyno wants me to get a colposcopy, so i will have that done on friday. I have a lotttt of questions:

1. what are the chances it will go away on its own? I am 24 years old, dont smoke, take multi-vitamins, get 8 hrs sleep, walk a lot, not overweight. i mean do vitamins help get rid of it? my last pap in Oct. 2009 was normal. but what happens now? will it most likely go away or will I need treatment?

2. anyone here have abnormal pap? what happened to you? please share your story.

3. how much does treatment cost without health insurance? (and no i dont qualify for medicaid because I have too much money in the bank)

4. does treatment affect fertility?

5. do i need treatment? or should I just get a repeat pap in 6 months? i mean im only 24 years old

6. did i get it from a new partner or one from years ago? which is more likely? I know both are likely, but is it more common to have HPV for years and then it causes abnormal cells or this can happen within weeks?

AND IM SO MAD BECAUSE I WAS ONLY WITH 1 PERSON BEFORE GETTING THE GARDASIL VACCINE.

and I feel like crying because i am not a promiscous dirty person its so not fair. my friend had over 20 sex partners and has a clean bill of health.

what the hell is wrong with my immune system

Most people have HPV - it's the virus that causes warts. Abnormality in the squamous cells of the cervix doesn't indicate malignant cancer, but it is a problem. HPV can be transferred vertically or horizontally - so you may have been born with the virus. It is the same with coldsores caused by HSV1.

Abnormal paps are something to be concerned about, because abnormalities in the cervical cells can develop into malignancies. Because you have the coexisting infections, I would suggest you treat this as soon as possible, or it could develop into pelvic inflammatory disease and/or cancer, which is very difficult to treat without serious implications for reproduction and living standards.

You may not be a dirty ho (lol), but everyone is different and has a different propensity to contract or develop these infections, due to genes and environment. It may seem unfair, but nobody said life was fair. The best thing to do is hold your chin up and deal with it pronto. Asking 'why me?' is not going to solve your problem.

When you have treated this, ASK YOUR DOCTOR ABOUT PROPHYLACTIC TREATMENT. Things as simple as learning how to go to the bathroom properly - as a female: feet flat on the floor, knees apart, leaning forward with elbows on knees, wipe thoroughly from front to back; this will reduce the risk of developing UTIs and thrush.

Prophylaxis will help you prevent this happening in the future. Also ask about health care plans and free clinics in your area. This is something you will have to stay on top of for the rest of your life - but as it becomes habit you will barely notice.

EDIT: for an abnormal pap - usually a D&C is required. They put you out for a couple of hours and burn off the surface of your cervix with a laser. This removes abnormal cells, and although uncomfortable results in very little bleeding and actual pain.

thanks..

the PCOS is being treated with birth control pills and those other infections were in the past (years ago) not now. and those other infections were couased from sex, not by wiping the wrong way.

do I really need treatment? i mean isn't "watchful waiting" better? I am 24 and i dont have any kids yet, I dont want this to mess up my fertility.

If you have an abnormal pap, you need a D&C. Do not watch and wait - you can't see your cervix and you are not a doctor (I presume). The D&C procedure will not affect your fertility, however cancer will. Better safe than sorry, right?

I'm not suggesting you are doing anything wrong, just that all people need to keep an eye on their reproductive health and know how to look after themselves (that comment was more for other readers as an example).

1. what are the chances it will go away on its own? I am 24 years old, dont smoke, take multi-vitamins, get 8 hrs sleep, walk a lot, not overweight. i mean do vitamins help get rid of it? my last pap in Oct. 2009 was normal. but what happens now? will it most likely go away or will I need treatment?

Please do not ignore abnormal results. If your doc wants to do a colp then get it done.

2. anyone here have abnormal pap? what happened to you? please share your story.

Yep, at 21. The scary story is that now in the UK the recommended age where you're called in for smears is now 25 - I'd be dead basically.

I had a cone biopsy and laser treatment which got rid of the pre cells. I have had yearly check ups ever since (in the UK after a normal smear it's usually 3 yearly).

I also was diagnosed PCOS at 28. I have had 3 children, no problem - it's all good. I had another abnormal smear 4 years ago, had a colp and was clear after that.

3. how much does treatment cost without health insurance? (and no i dont qualify for medicaid because I have too much money in the bank)

Can't help - free here.

4. does treatment affect fertility?

No. I was warned I *may* need a stitch in my uterus due to the cone biopsy but this was never needed.

5. do i need treatment? or should I just get a repeat pap in 6 months? i mean im only 24 years old

If the doctor says treatment GET TREATMENT! If you're worried about the costs then ask for a repeat smear, sometimes they can give false result. The general rule here is a smear, another if the result is abnormal then treatment if the second one is abnormal. I was told due to the way the tests are done now (here) that false abnormals are pretty rare whereas they used to be fairly common.

6. did i get it from a new partner or one from years ago? which is more likely? I know both are likely, but is it more common to have HPV for years and then it causes abnormal cells or this can happen within weeks?

I don't know about this. I was told it's the luck of the draw, some people are just most suseptible.

AND IM SO MAD BECAUSE I WAS ONLY WITH 1 PERSON BEFORE GETTING THE GARDASIL VACCINE.

and I feel like crying because i am not a promiscous dirty person its so not fair. my friend had over 20 sex partners and has a clean bill of health.

what the hell is wrong with my immune system

Hey (((hugs))), being aware if your body is the best thing you're doing, you're not promiscuous or dirty! It's one of those things x

You need a D&C for an abnormal pap?! WHAT?!

I had an abnormal pap (twice in a rown) and all I had to do was get pap smears more frequently (every 6 mos as opposed to every 12) until it cleared. Which it did. I had an abnormal pap for the entire time I was with my ex (UGH) and finally with a new partner I got another pap and everything came back normal, so I'm back to the yearly paps after 2 consecutive normal paps.

I've never heard of getting a D&C for an abnormal pap. Unless those cells are definitely cancerous --not pre cancerous -- (which is why you now get paps more frequently), give it time and keep an eye by doing your paps regularly and it will most likely clear up on its own.

yeah but I only had this one and only abnormal pap. I dont want to go right ahead and get the laser/freezing/LEEP surgery if it says 50-80% of the time it goes away on its own in 2 years (just read that..)

I hear that these procedures change the amount of cervical mucus which makes it harder to get pregnant.

plus, it takes 10-20 years for cervical cancer to develop.

I just don't want to mess with my fertility if it is not needed. i will discuss all this with my doc on firday, im just wondering what is likely to happen.

I am doing the colp, I have the appointment this friday. I am just wondering if surgery is really necessary.

I had an abnormal pap (twice in a rown) and all I had to do was get pap smears more frequently (every 6 mos as opposed to every 12) until it cleared. Which it did. I had an abnormal pap for the entire time I was with my ex (UGH) and finally with a new partner I got another pap and everything came back normal, so I'm back to the yearly paps after 2 consecutive normal paps.

I've never heard of getting a D&C for an abnormal pap. Unless those cells are definitely cancerous --not pre cancerous -- (which is why you now get paps more frequently), give it time and keep an eye by doing your paps regularly and it will most likely clear up on its own.

yes yes, this is what I was saying. and with me, I don't have any sexual partner and so I am no longer getting this virus from anyone. I was just wondering on the statistics, like how common it is, and what is usually done, how often it goes away on its own, if surgery is really needed, etc.

edit*, thanks, that made me feel better. i just dont want to get surgery unless it doesnt go away within 2 years or whatever, I hope she doesnt recommend it just to make money. I mean this is my FIRST abnormal pap, its not like I've had these abnormal cells for a long time. i am scared of surgery because i dont want my fertility affected, I am 24 and I didnt start having kids yet. I already have PCOS, this surgery might make it even harder to get pregnant one day

I don't know where you're from - I'm in Australia. Maybe it's an insurance thing (to cover our butts), but every patient with an abnormal pap is recommended to have a D&C - though it's not forced on them. It's the same with finding a lump in your breast - you can have a biopsy, or you can wait and see if it goes away in case it's a hyperactive lymph node or something.

It would depend how abnormal the smear is - did they tell you what grade abnormality? I wouldn't be taking the risk, personally. It also depends on the history of cancer in your family etc. etc. If you already have a history of problems down there, I wouldn't risk it. But that's me.

I don't know where you're from - I'm in Australia. Maybe it's an insurance thing (to cover our butts), but every patient with an abnormal pap is recommended to have a D&C - though it's not forced on them. It's the same with finding a lump in your breast - you can have a biopsy, or you can wait and see if it goes away in case it's a hyperactive lymph node or something.

It would depend how abnormal the smear is - did they tell you what grade abnormality? I wouldn't be taking the risk, personally. It also depends on the history of cancer in your family etc. etc. If you already have a history of problems down there, I wouldn't risk it. But that's me.

I'm in England and there's no D&C for abnormal smears here either!

yeah but I only had this one and only abnormal pap. I dont want to go right ahead and get the laser/freezing/LEEP surgery if it says 50-80% of the time it goes away on its own in 2 years (just read that..)

I hear that these procedures change the amount of cervical mucus which makes it harder to get pregnant.

plus, it takes 10-20 years for cervical cancer to develop.

I just don't want to mess with my fertility if it is not needed. i will discuss all this with my doc on firday, im just wondering what is likely to happen.

It doesn't. Like I mentioned earlier, the UK guidelines have been moved to age 25 for first smears, there are a lot of young women dying un-neccessarily.

she said something about low-grade squamos cells. she said the next step is a colposcopy which I am getting on friday. i guess to get a better look. but i already have this diagnosis so what is the colposcopy going to reveal? i just hope she doesnt recommend surgery unless it is truly necessary. just wondering if people typically get the surgery or if the do the "watch and wait" approach. that is my question.

she said something about low-grade squamos cells. she said the next step is a colposcopy which I am getting on friday. i guess to get a better look. but i already have this diagnosis so what is the colposcopy going to reveal? i just hope she doesnt recommend surgery unless it is truly necessary. just wondering if people typically get the surgery or if the do the "watch and wait" approach. that is my question.

All of my friends (some sexually experienced, some 1 or 2 partners) have had abnormal paps at one point and I don't know of one of us who has ever gone beyond just getting more frequent paps.

I think it's kind of odd that your doctor is being this aggressive this early, and while I don't fully trust doctors I guess I have to say that your doctor knows best...BUT I would start writing up a list of questions you'd like to ask your doctor now so you're ready for your appointment. Make her sit with you and clear up everything for you and don't leave until you're sure you understand it all. It is her responsibility to make sure you understand without a doubt what is going on with your body. I would then go a step further and do some personal research to decide what the best course of action is for you and your situation.

Ok, well I must be a wrong doctor then, doing the wrong thing, and they taught me the wrong thing at med school!

My mother, aunt, friend and friend's mother had abnormal smears, they all had D&Cs. As I said, depends on the abnormality. Abnormalities caused by yeast - of course you don't need a D&C. If I had a patient with abnormal squamous cells, and a history of poor reproductive health or general health (i.e. repeated infections, PCOS, existing infections etc.), I would be sending them for a D&C without even thinking - administering antibiotics to prevent superinfection.

But yeah, ask your doctor. And if you don't like what they say, get a second opinion.

You know what? Instead of coming to a forum, why don't you do some research, form a list of questions and ask the person who is treating you?

I have had two partners and have had HPV and abnormal paps. I got the colpo and then have had 1 Leep procedure. That has been almost 3 years and I have had a few paps come back with mild changes but the most recent was normal so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Never heard of a D & C for a cervical problem. Are they using that term for a LEEP?

but I am healthy! I never smoked a cigarette in my life. dont drink excessivly, get 8 hrs sleep, healthy weight, now I take multi-vitamins, i walk a lot, i go to all my doctors every year, heck i dont even have a cavity.

do I really need surgery after one abnormal pap? this is scaring me.

but I am healthy! I never smoked a cigarette in my life. dont drink excessivly, get 8 hrs sleep, healthy weight, now I take multi-vitamins, i walk a lot, i go to all my doctors every year, heck i dont even have a cavity.

do I really need surgery after one abnormal pap? this is scaring me.

Just ask your doctor. No point in getting scared for no reason. The reason I brought up the surgery is because you have existing problems (such as PCOS), it is not an isolated incident of poor health in that region. It is what I would recommend, but it is up to you and your doctor.

"If, after colposcopy and biopsy, you are diagnosed with CIN 1, (mild dysplasia), you are most likely in good shape. CIN 1 very rarely becomes cancerous, and much of it (70-80%) resolves on its own without treatment. Statistically, 15% or so persists and a smaller percentage will progress to more severe dysplasia." link removed

i hope im not gonna need surgery this is encouranging though...

I wouldn't worry yourself just yet. If the pap shows low-grade cells, your doc is doing the colposcopy to verify it shows the same results. I had high-grade cells with HPV and needed to have a cold knife cone biopsy to remove the pre-cancerous cells. FYI, in 15 years, I've only been with 4 guys, so it has nothing to do with how many partners you've had. You really don't want to mess around with high-grade cells. This was 3 years ago and my paps since have all been normal. If the results come back low-grade, she will probably have you come back for a pap in 6 months as opposed to 1 year to monitor the results. Some people don't get rid of the HPV virus like they are supposed to. After my cells were removed, she did another HPV test 2 years later and I am clean. Your affected cells won't become normal once the HPV is gone. Once it's affected your cells, you need to monitor it and take care of it or you could be facing cancer later down the road. Good luck.

I've had abnormal pap smears back when I was 28/29. Now they're normal and I'm not sexually active like I was so I think that may have something to do with the abnormality of the previous years. Just go back in 6 months, and odds are it'll check out fine.

Archived