Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Legal Steps for Bullying?

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Originally Posted by sidehop
    Have you involved the police? At least around here they have zero tolerance, either the child will be expelled or have the police involved immediately.
    I think that is my next step sidehop because it is getting out of hand. I have let the school try and bring about a solution, but it does not seem to be working. They say they have a no zero tolerance policy but I have found that to be BS in any school.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Originally Posted by -D-
    How old are these kids if you don't mind me asking?

I'm so sorry this is happening.. it's really, really sad when things have to get taken that far.
    13 and 14.

Originally Posted by Victoria66
    It is not easy to get students expelled here unfortunately. There is a steps process before you come to expulsion and it takes a while and it seldom ever happens because every person has a right to an education.
    That's really sad, I'd be livid too. I mean four times? What is it going to take them to take drastic action? I'd honestly put more pressure on the school as obviously they can't even protect your son to learn.

have you talked to the parents of these boys and talked to them about the bullying?

i agree if that doesn't work, the next step is the police. since you took your son to the ER, there is proof.

My son is a bit of a loner, because he is slightly autistic, he finds it hard to read the social ques correctly. So he has a few friends and a few people who defend him.

Right now his EA has been turned into his "body guard" of sorts and he can not leave the school without her.

The scary thing is he goes to a religious school.

I am so sorry this is happening to your son and you - it's a real concern for me as a would-be parent, because I went through terrible bullying at school where I was repeatedly beaten by another child.., but to be beaten by several children must be absolutely terrifying.. I cannot begin to imagine the state of mind your son is in. My thoughts are really with you.

The first thing to look at is: The Protection from Harassment Act - the link is below.

The other bit of this post you may consider to be useless but I think it's worth considering: it was relevant for me: I have learned through my experience of serious bullying at work, even as an adult (yes I am ashamed to say it - it was a female manager who made my life hell for two years) is that there is greater protection from bullying for people where discrimination is involved or the person has a medical condition to manage - because education providers, employers, etc, have a legal obligation to pupils, students, employees, etc to guard their health and safety at all times if either of these are relevant it has a huge bearing on what the adverse affect is of bullying on this and rights in this respect, if this makes sense e.g. if he is dyslexic the bullying - this could be part of why he is being bullied and the serious consequences of this are the knock on effects of being bullied and his learning progress suffering - in which case the school will sit up and take action much more immediately, without you being given woolly answers. Subsequently, you might want to assess if there is some other issue that gives you a legitimate legal umberella to argue along side your case for bullying, that cannot be put to one side easily, to protect your son.

Have you contacted your local citizen's advice service? - if you are in the uk you will already know about CAB (Citizen's Advice Bureau) but if your son does have a medical condition you can look up the relevant law relating to his rights as a minor, as this may be the most effective approach to start getting people to sit up and take notice.

Does he have lots of friends at school who he can hang out with instead of getting caught alone? I know you will already have thought of most things, but bullies thrive on getting the person they want to bully isolated and that is why I suffered seemingly endlessly but repeatedly.

This link might be helpful link removed

Originally Posted by annie24
    have you talked to the parents of these boys and talked to them about the bullying?

i agree if that doesn't work, the next step is the police. since you took your son to the ER, there is proof.
    I do not know the parents as we are new to this area and they do not like the families of opposing sides to mix too much. I can see why. I can pretty much tell these kids are not taught much at home if this is how they behave so I am not too sure how successful it would be to talk to the parents. I imagine they are the same. I knew all the families in his old school.

Thanks.......you have given me some ideas. I am in Canada, but I am sure we have something that corresponds.

This sounds horrible, i dont know what can be done but going to the parents probably wont help as the kids most likely have learned there attitude from them. As they say, theres no such thing as a bad student, only a bad teacher. Some of the other posts might be able to help you in terms of legal action, but taking your son to a self defence class wouldnt hurt. Depending on the martial art, they teach discipline and respect, it wont encourage violence in your son, but will give him more peace of mind.

Originally Posted by sjjohnson89
    This sounds horrible, i dont know what can be done but going to the parents probably wont help as the kids most likely have learned there attitude from them. As they say, theres no such thing as a bad student, only a bad teacher. Some of the other posts might be able to help you in terms of legal action, but taking your son to a self defence class wouldnt hurt. Depending on the martial art, they teach discipline and respect, it wont encourage violence in your son, but will give him more peace of mind.
    He has taken it before. He did like it. The thing is my son is very naturally timid and with his own lack of social development it leaves him open to be a big target for others. Thanks for your reply it might be something he could consider doing again.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice