Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Commuting to work, how much is too much?

Anonymous122
    Silver Member

Commuting to work, how much is too much?

How many of you commute to work? How long of a commute do you think is too much to handle? I might have a commute of one hour each way next year in order to go to work and graduate school. Has anyone done that before? My normal commute now is about 15 minutes, the most I've ever done on a regular basis is 25.

SayWhen
    Are you driving? I commute 1.5 hours each way but I take public transit and I actually don't mind it at all since I can just sit back and read a book/relax/listen to music. If I was driving I'd probably go nuts with a 1.5 hour commute. Maybe you should try out the commute a few times to see how you feel about it?

ut804
    Depends. I am used to 1 hr to 1.5 hour commute. geographically my job and schools are not far, but I live in NYC and take the subway/ buses which cn take a while due to traffic/ making local stops. It doesn't bother me because I listen to music on my MP3 player.

Highway driving taking that long? that's different. i don't think i could handle that.

Anonymous122
    Silver Member
    Yah, it would be me driving the whole way. Neither of you think you could handle it?

avman
    My commute just went from 30 minutes to 1 hour when our company moved it's offices. It is definitely no fun. It isn't to the intolerable level quite yet but when the weather is bad the commute is 90-120 minutes one way. THAT is intolerable for me.

ut804
    this is going to be on a regualr basis? well if you like driving then you could do it. but i don't know..

Anonymous122
    Silver Member
    It would be 5 days a week for about 10 months.

Anonymous122
    Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by avman [Register to see the link]
    My commute just went from 30 minutes to 1 hour when our company moved it's offices. It is definitely no fun. It isn't to the intolerable level quite yet but when the weather is bad the commute is 90-120 minutes one way. THAT is intolerable for me.
    Yah, that does sound intolerable. Do you travel on the interstate? My route would be all backroad highways.

avman
    Backroad highways might be ok. If it is steady driving and not stop and go it is much easier to handle. My drive used to be 30 minutes along the river, scenic roads, etc. Now it is 60 minutes of stop and go on the interstate. It is really not much fun. I'm right about at the limit of what I think I can put up with now.

Anonymous122
    Silver Member
    Yah, I mean, its a pretty steady route, but its also like 47 miles at speed limits that fluctuate between 35-50mph. How long do you think you'll be able to tolerate your drive for?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Top Threads
Potential Bullying at Work? How Do I Handle Situation?
I've recently started a new job as an assistant manager. For the most part, I love my job and do my very best. I'm not exactly new to managing as I
Boss Won't Give Me Time Off for My Stag and Doe
I've been working on a temporary contract with a company since March. I was told that after the contract was done, they like to try to keep employees
Need Advice - it's urgent for me
Hello Everyone, I meesed up my life and I take full responsibilty. I ned advice and what to do to remedy the situation immediately and prevent it
An Update
Just wanted to let you all know my job is still fantastic! I'm happy, it's going well, even had a one to one meeting and it was very positive. :) I
How do I tell my boss that I'm feeling "left out"?
Hi everyone. In December I took a new position with a hardware store called Regional Operations Team. In essence I go around our region fixing up
Fearing Bankruptcy and May not Qualify for Bankruptcy
I'm on disability after five months in the hospital and a group home place inpatient and have made it through Bipolar. However I have ten bills I

Featured Threads
Parent and relationships problems
So clearly i need help sooo i will get right into the story.....sorry its so long I am a 25 year old male who is in a relationship with my 19
My boyfriend is trying to date other woman on online dating site.
I really need help. I am so confused. My boyfriend is on online dating site. He said he wants to date other women. We were on and off relationship
My wife left me without having even a talk
Hi everybody, I wonder if this is normal just to leave a marriage of 7 years without having a proper talk before moving on? It happened to me that
Confused about FWB
Last weekend my FWB and I made plans to meet up. He drove down from his place to go to a party with friends, afterwards he was coming to spend the
Everything is just JUMBLED
I have an extremely, EXTREMELY screwed up life. At least from my point of view it is. At least I think I'm the only one that knows my own
Getting over someone to be with them again later?
Long story short, my ex broke up with me after 4 years because he said he was immature and needed to grow up without me and part of that was meeting
Need Advice - it's urgent for me
Hello Everyone, I meesed up my life and I take full responsibilty. I ned advice and what to do to remedy the situation immediately and prevent it
Ask For Advice