"We'll call you by that day....." - yeah right!

ibu

I recently had a job interview. The three women who interviewed me seemed very nice, and overall I came back home with a positive feeling.

But I know full well that I shouldn't get my hopes up too much 'cause I've been disappointed in this particular field before.

They said "we'll let you know something by Friday. We make our decision on Thursday and we'll let you know by Friday."

Well, Friday has almost passed, and no call, no rejection e-mail, nothing. ](*,)

I've had my phone in my jeans pocket the entire day and checked my e-mails a 1000 times so I would not miss any form of contact at all.

This really drives me crazy.

Is this a good or a bad thing?

Is it normal for employers to say they will call or have more news by a certain day but then don't follow up on it?

Am I expected to call myself on Monday?

I'm already preparing myself for bad news, because I keep thinking that if they really wanted to hire me, they would've already called. Or do they need more time to decide?

UGH, I hate this!

Anyway, it drives me completely crazy when employers promise you more news by a certain date and then you hear NOTHING at all.

Yeah, it is pretty bad these days. I send resume after resume and then nothing. No response, nothing. Not even a "thanks for sending us your resume, we'll let you know." Nothing.

I hope you get the job but with the way things are these days, I would say it's not a good sign that you haven't heard anything yet. If you don't hear by Monday, I would call or email. I'll cross my fingers for you.

Well, it is still friday (at least in the US!) it is possible that they will call later in the day. A friend of mine got a phone call saying he was hired on a Sunday night!

one possibility is that they are offering it to someone else, but that person hasn't gotten back to them. i would call next week, maybe tuesday or wednesday, if you don't hear from them first.

This is my number #1 frustration about interviews. I couldn't tell how many interviews I've had where they said "we'll let you know next week" then nothing. No rejection, when I call they have no answer, etc. In fact my last interview they said they'd let me know and it was a month ago. No rejection letter or anything and when I emailed the woman no contact back.

However if this makes you feel better I know someone who went for an interview in April. They said they'd let her know by the end of April and no response. She figured she didn't get it but in August she got a second interview. Apparently there was a reason it was held up (can't remember if someone wasn't leaving or maybe budge issues). Long story short she got the job in December! That was 8 months from the initial interview.

Still no news....it is now about 2pm on Monday....ugh this sucks. ](*,)](*,)](*,)

If I don't get any news today I'm calling them myself tomorrow to find out about it.

I don't care if it's bad news, I just want the peace of mind.

It's really not fair. We create and fix up our resumes, often going crazy trying to make it sound good and appropriate. We search for hours for jobs. We find a place and send in our resume. Then often times they want cover letters. Then we have to spend a while writing the perfect cover letter. Then we wait. If they call, then we have to go for an interview. And then a second interview. And then possibly a third interview. And we dress up nice, travel to the job, and take out time in our day. And some people even send a thank you letter to the employer.

Then AFTER ALL THAT, we often don't get the job. After all the effort we put in we don't even get a call or formal rejection. Nothing. I mean they should be thanking us for all that effort!

it just seems so degrading

Still no news....it is now about 2pm on Monday....ugh this sucks. ](*,)](*,)](*,)

If I don't get any news today I'm calling them myself tomorrow to find out about it.

I don't care if it's bad news, I just want the peace of mind.

I hope you called... Sometimes employers want to see who calls in to check up on their status of if they got the job or not to see who really wants it. Just something to know for future use. I heard this from the lady in human resources at my old job. Those who called in seemed to "want the job more" and were more likely to get hired. Like the saying the "squeaky wheel gets the oil", if you really want the job and show that you do, then you most likely will get it.

I know how frustrating it can be looking for a job. I was unemployed for a few months after being laid off from my last job. I hated job hunting and going place to place. I'm not very good at interviews(I get really nervous for some reason), but somehow landed a pretty good job. The lady who interviewed me, said she'd call by Friday and my interview had been on Monday. I called on Wednesday. They hadn't finished interviewing the last candidate, but said they'd call me when they knew. I got a call the next day on Thursday and was told I got the job. phew. lol.

Try to keep your head up and keep going at it. You'll get a job eventually and hopefully it will be one you enjoy.

^ Yep. Calling back is a must because you never know. You might have been second or third or even further back in the running, but maybe they tried calling their first candidate and got no response. Their phone rings, it’s you on the line asking whether or not they’ve made a decision and suddenly, you’re starting a new job next week. I think a lot of it has to do with timing, certainly and that’s a matter of luck to some degree. You can invest in your own luck by doing the little things, though.

Also, I know it’s extremely difficult, but don’t worry or invest so much into any one possible job. Sure, if you get it it’s great and it was worth the worry, but if you don’t, it will bring you down and the worst thing in the world is feeling discouraged. You’ll land a job and it will be a sigh of relief when you do. I certainly hope you get this one, but don’t take it to heart if you don’t.

Yes, I called. They said no decision has been made yet, and they will let me know as soon as it has.

So, I guess I can't do anything but wait now.

In the meantime I still keep sending resumes and cover letters for other possibles jobs that interest me. It's certainly not like I'm putting all my hope into this one job. I've already been on a few interviews and received a "no" afterwards, so I know what's it's like to get rejected. I'm certainly not going to become depressed or anything. But I had a positive feeling about this particular interview, so it would be great if I could actually get this particular job. But we'll see.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, there are so many applicants for every job opening that if they sent status notifications to every applicant, nothing else would get done. I work in a law office and if we advertise for help, we can get close to 50 -100 applicants. We are a small office and that overwhelms us so we just don't hire anyone and carry on with the people we have. Sometimes a business doesn't have the time to read all the applications and respond to them all. Heck, we barely have time to schedule any interviews. This recession is crazy! We have less employess doing more work. Oh well, it's quiet today.

Yeah, but I didn't only send in my application. I first did an online assessment thing, and then went to do an actual interview as well. So I can imagine their applicants suitable for the job were already limited to, let's say, 10 at the most. They only did one day of interviews (at least that's what they said)

Still, they probably knew early on who they were going to take, and who they weren't hiring. Why let those who don't get the job wait so long? I mean, if they had sent out that e-mail that I didn't get the job a week after the interview, okay, no problem, next. But by not giving me any news at all (not even when I called), I kept having a little bit of hope that maybe, just maybe, I'd get hired. Guess not. Oh well....

University job....but yeah, I know about the internal job openings in the higher education field....mostly these are advertised as "tenure" jobs...then I just know I don't have to apply because I don't have any chance at all. This job was a 1-year job with a possibility to continue working after 1 year so I didn't think it was an internal promotion, but who knows....it could have been. Ugh it sucks.

I love how they advertise for "recent graduates", then you read the fine print and it says "5+ years experience required". I'm trying to re-enter the working world, but only on a part-time basis and it's looking like the only thing I'm going to be able to get is retail, even though I earned my bachelor's degree while I was "on hiatus".

Archived