At Home Births

OptomisticGirl

I was reading this article while at work yesterday:

link removed

And it got me thinking. For those women who don't want an epidural (because they say it can harm the baby) would you consider a home birth because it's considered less medical care is needed (like they don't just jump to C-sections) and would be more au natural for your baby?

Or would anyone consider this in this day and age?

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read on another pregnancy board, and was surprised at how many women are opting for this. I have seen it on the Discovery Channel, and to me it is fascinating. I personally would not have a home birth, because I do want an epidural, and I also want medical professionals around in case something were to go wrong. Oh, and not to mention the mess that I wouldn't want at my house! I can totally see why women would choose this option, it is much more personal I'm sure and probably very comfortable for some. It's just not for me, though!

Well it's definitely an option. Personally, i'd be worried. What if you end up needing a C section (this is how I had to come out), or there is too much bleeding, or the baby isn't coming out "head first"? Lots of things could happen and it may be better to have doctors/nurses nearby.

Oh and sometimes the baby needs help too. I had trouble breathing when I came out. My mom didn't get to hold me right away because I needed help.

Well it's definitely an option. Personally, i'd be worried. What if you end up needing a C section (this is how I had to come out), or there is too much bleeding, or the baby isn't coming out "head first"? Lots of things could happen and it may be better to have doctors/nurses nearby.

I think that's the number one reason people want to do it, they think c-sections are just thrown around when doctors can't get the baby out.

I had entertained that idea because I hate hospitals. But, one of the reasons I could not do an at home birth is because I have a feeling I will want an epidural. I'm not worried about "it going wrong"--I think worrying about it going work, could VERY well lead to it going wrong. I would never go into a labor(or any situation) with a negative mindset. I do plan to get midwife and do a birth at a birthing center or in a hospital but in a center in the hospital that allows me to give birth in a tub, but other than that I cannot see myself doing a home birth solely because I want an epidural.

OG,

When my mother had a C-section (21 years ago, lol) for me, it was very different from how it is now. She has a scar where they took me out but these days, they do it so you can barely see any scar afterward. Man, I was jammed up there good and tight, PLUS I was facing the wrong way. I have read a lot about how women think C sections are "terrible" but hey, sometimes you just can't come out. My mom was in labor for nearly a whole day and there was just no budging.

She was awake for the C-section too. They put a board in front of your face so you can't see yourself getting opened up. It's a pretty quick procedure.

I think we owe a lot to C-sections and medical care in general. Back in the "old days", people gave birth at home all the time....and there were many more cases of woman and child dying during it. Either someone got "stuck" or she bled to death. This is America and it's the 21st century...there's no reason for that to happen when you have hospitals and doctors.

ACtually some women PREFER c-sections over vaginal births. I know women who ACTUALLY scheduled c-sections in order to avoid having to go through with the vaginal birth. I'm not sure how they were able to do this, because most doctors won't perform those on just anyone, but for these women(for whatever reason) they were more interested in doing a C section. One of my friends who did do a C section has no scar. The only thing that was brutal was the recovery.

I hope to give birth vaginally, however, my husband was a c-section because his head was so big! Soo, that's slightly scary for me, but so far his head is not measuring much bigger than normal, so fingers crossed! I trust my doctor, and know that she will make the best decisions for my and baby's care, so I will follow whatever recommendation that she has!

Yeah I can't blame them, lostnscared. Vaginal births hurt! LOL.

A concern I have heard about vaginal births vs C-sections is "face smushing". Apparently, there is a worry among some mothers that birth through the vaginal canal will cause smushing of the head or facial features, so they opt for C-section.

I never saw any of it being a problem but ah well. It's nice that you don't really get the scars from it like you used to. Even my mom's isn't that bad...and she had me AND my sibs 3 years later, so same surgery twice. And it's so much better today.

It is! It's hilarious!

One of my best friends was a "C-section" baby too. We like to joke when we're together...one time in Bio we were talking about C-sections and we cradled our faces and were like "look at us! Beautiful, UNSMUSHED C-section faces. We are gorgeous!" hehehe.

It's all just B.S., haha. If I came out of my mother's vagina, I'd look the same as I do now, barring any "horrible" accidents.

Yeah I can't blame them, lostnscared. Vaginal births hurt! LOL.

A concern I have heard about vaginal births vs C-sections is "face smushing". Apparently, there is a worry among some mothers that birth through the vaginal canal will cause smushing of the head or facial features, so they opt for C-section.

I never saw any of it being a problem but ah well. It's nice that you don't really get the scars from it like you used to. Even my mom's isn't that bad...and she had me AND my sibs 3 years later, so same surgery twice. And it's so much better today.

Good grief...

I always find it funny that four millions of years women gave birth without fear of face smushing and now suddenly it's a fear, lol

Well, for millions of years women have been giving birth without c-sections, pitocin, doctors and hospitals and now suddenly it's a fear not to. The U.S has the highest number of maternal and infant mortality rates than any other developed nation, yet uses home birthing/midwives the least, and c-sections and intervention the most. Now I know other factors are at play here, including socio economic factors and issues with access for all people to health care services - but it is a correlation to consider.

Well, for millions of years women have been giving birth without c-sections, pitocin, doctors and hospitals and now suddenly it's a fear not to. The U.S has the highest number of maternal and infant mortality rates than any other developed nation, yet uses home birthing/midwives the least, and c-sections and intervention the most.

Yes but there is a difference in wanting the best medical care to give birth to your child and not wanting to do something becaseu your child's face might be smushed.

I had a teacher who gave birth this way. She had only her husband and a midwife. I always thought this is what I wanted if I had kids because then I could sleep in my own bed. However I know this isn't a possibility because I am high risk and would possibly have to have a c section so I can't take the chance. Plus, I used to hate hospitals but most of the hospitals around here have very nice birthing centers where the rooms look like hotel rooms and they even allow someone (usually the dad obviously) to sleep the night.

Almost every hospital I know allows the dad to sleep the night, just on the couch in the room.

Yes, but at some of these places they even allow more than the father. Personally I just want the dad to spend the night but some want other relatives. This has come so far because even 10 or 20 years ago most of the people I knew who had babies the dad went home to sleep.

Exactly, the number one reason I wouldn't do is in case something goes wrong.

I would definitely want to be in a hospital setting in case something were to go wrong. Also, I think only low risk pregnancies even get this option to have a home birth. Though even with "low risk" pregnancies, something can go wrong..

Women have been giving birth for thousands of years. We are the only ones who can give birth to another human, our bodies are MADE FOR IT!! Today's women want it all with no fuss, "I can't take pain", "I don't want a mess", etc... Jeeze! Do you even want to be mothers at all? Pain is part of life, you can't avoid it altogether. If you think giving birth is hard, wait until you bring the baby home. I sometimes went 48- 72 hours without sleep and breastfed for a year (now THAT can get a tad uncomfortable!) Being a mom isn't for wimps, but I highly recommend it! Love will take on a whole new meaning to you.

Women have been giving birth for thousands of years. We are the only ones who can give birth to another human, our bodies are MADE FOR IT!! Today's women want it all with no fuss, "I can't take pain", "I don't want a mess", etc... Jeeze! Do you even want to be mothers at all? Pain is part of life, you can't avoid it altogether. If you think giving birth is hard, wait until you bring the baby home. I sometimes went 48- 72 hours without sleep and breastfed for a year (now THAT can get a tad uncomfortable!) Being a mom isn't for wimps, but I highly recommend it! Love will take on a whole new meaning to you.

Times have changed and I am glad they have. Today's women can vote and have careers and choose whether they want to be married to not or even have children. Just because a woman might prefer to have a painless childbirth I don't think it's fair to call her wimpy.

There are women who have a completely natural birth and end up horrible mothers, sell their daughter to prostitution, abuse them and whatever else, and there are those who require an epidural or a c-section and these women can be love and caring, it really has nothing to do with how they gave birth, but rather what type of people they are.

Archived