Just how horrible is labor?

lostnscared

I know it's common knowledge that having a baby is very painful, but is it as awful as everyone claims.

I recently read this:

link removed

And after watching 16 & Pregnant--I really get scared about it. For instance on two of the 16 and pregnant(latest episodes) the girls both vomited during labor. One actually looked so crazy and dazed in pain that it seemed surreal.

Then one girl was crying during the labor and in labor for 26 hours(2-4 of them pushing).

My friends all had easy deliveries, and pushed for less than an hour. So I wasn't as afraid. But ugh. I'm not delusional enough to have a natural birth--just wondering for those who've had babies, how horrible was it?

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Labor varies from woman to woman, but for me, it was the worst pain I had ever felt and yes, I vomited regularly during labor. I did not want an epidural or any pain meds, I had had friends who regretted doing that, their babies were adversely affected in ways I won't go into and I felt I could take it, so I went with natural childbirth. I would soo do it again, though. It is more than worth it.

I too have questions about this myself. For instance how bad are the contractions? Is it true that they feel like being punched in the back? I've also heard that some women poop during delivery. That would make me uneasy. I will admit labor is one the reasons I was afraid to ever get pregnant.

My mom said it was fairly easy for her though. Both me and my brother just popped out. She didn't need stitches. Whether it really was easy or she just forget (her last pregnancy was 36 years ago) is hard to say.

They feel like a white-hot twisting of you insides. Any more questions? Think of the worst period cramps you have ever had and magnify that 5x. Pretty much that. I had piggyback labor, I had a rest of maybe 20-30 seconds between contractions for over 5 hours. My labor was short, though. Only 6 hours. You should go natural because it gives you the belief that you are powerful, strong, and that you can take ANYTHING! Plus, you have the most wonderful prize waiting for you at the end. I was so glad that it was ME who pushed at the end, it was Me who felt him being born (which by the way, does NOT hurt), and it was ME who faced my fears just to have him. I haven't been the same person since, it gave me such inner strength and self esteem. This was 22 years ago, and I still remember. I had a couple of friends who had an easy labor, but most of us did not.

I too, wonder about pooping during labor. I hate vomiting but I guess I'll get over that. I would like to have a natural birth, but I won't kid myself into thinking that. Though I have a high pain tolerance, I am a wuss when it comes to being in too much pain, and most likely I would beg for an epidural the moment I felt an intense contraction.

i had a natural birth. i loved it, i felt empowered and strong. but yes it is alot a lot of pain!!!! it is similiar to the pain of cramps but much much worse. thank god there are breaks in between contractions so you can try to brace yourself for the next one. concentrating on breathing helped me not to freak out to much. except for the actual pushing baby out. lots of women say this is not hard but for me(both times) it was the worse part of the whole labor. it didn't last long, i think maybe 20 mins, but my god, you could hear me screaming all around that hospital and i felt really panicked, like i was gonna burst. and then its over. baby comes. pain totally disappears and your cooing and smiling at your baby. and i just felt so.... proud!

for anyone who doesn't want pain then get an epidural...... but hey isn't a challenge great!

I'm not sure if I want that sort of challenge, unless my labor is under 5 hours. If it's more than 5 hours I wouldn't be able to last without getting an epidural. My friend told me that pushing the baby out burns. But that pushing wasn't that difficult for her. I'm frightened about labor honestly.

Ideally I see myself having a baby in a tub full of warm water, getting a doula, and getting an epidural. I want to have a comfortable labor--not a challenging one lol.

Labour is not horrible ........ its the best thing ever and after it, you have the best experience ever....... remember.......... labour is the easy bit!!!!

What happens after labor? stitches and painful boobs--I heard, 3-5 months of no sleep, and 18 years of a child. LOL. I think I can wait a few more years before I go through with it.

Labour is not horrible ........ its the best thing ever and after it, you have the best experience ever....... remember.......... labour is the easy bit!!!!

Not what my mom has to say about that. She says that it's worth it for the child. But, it was not an enjoyable or spiritual experience at all.

I really don't believe it's "the best thing ever"

Not what my mom has to say about that. She says that it's worth it for the child. But, it was not an enjoyable or spiritual experience at all.

I really don't believe it's "the best thing ever"

My mother says the same. Of course she was from another era before natural childbirth. She also didn't breastfeed or many of the other things today. My dad wasn't even allowed in the delivery room.

For a lot of people it is a horrible experience until the child comes. I've seen my friends after they've been in labor and saw how crazy they've looked, and they looked as though they have literally been through a h*** of an experience. I doubt I'll feel happy as I'm getting pain that very well will make me want to kill myself, but I do think that once the baby comes I feel it was worth it and may even forget how horrible it was and try for another child. I'm not looking forward to the labor part of having a baby. I almost wish that I could just be knocked out and have the baby pulled out of me. Then wake up, and viola, my baby is handed to me. When I was teenager I had nightmares about labor. My mom shudders when she describes labor pain.

I don't have any children. I've asked the same question though, of my friends and family who have had children.

They say it hurts like hell, but wasn't nearly as bad as "so and so" makes it look (some woman who screamed louder than her). lol.

I suppose it depends on a lot of things how badly it would hurt. Complications. Your age (a 16 yr old is clearly going to have a tougher go usually than a grown woman who is accustomed to more pain tolerance and whose body is fully grown, I would think!). Pain tolerance.

But it's only pain. Chances are you've been in some significant pain in your life at this point and so if you aren't someone who gets freaked out by it , and who has developed ways to cope with pain, it wouldn't be nearly as rough as you imagine. That's what I figure, anyways.

The one woman who moaned about how awful it was that I talked to, is a wimp anyways lol. I'm not saying she didn't go through pain , and i haven't gone through labour, but c'mon - there are surely more painful things in life than having a kid. She whines if she gets a headache like the world will end.

I had an epidural - but then I ended up with a c section. Before the C Section they turned the epidural off and the pain was unbelievable. Worst I ever experienced. Also for me they had to induce labor because the baby was late and the sac was leaking - believe it or not, that was more painful than contractions.

And the poop yes - happened to me, but that was the least of my concerns at the time.

But if you want a baby, labor is the sacrifice that you must make. Some doctors will schedule a C Section - but the recovery from that is brutal too. Plus then you have a scar.

Then I say get the epidural.

I had a root canal and did not find that painful.

It wasn't the root canal surgery that hurt or during the procedure. it was the next day when the numbing wore off. My tooth hurt like a mother--I couldn't even move my neck without feeling pain--I actually had an infection(my face blew up) so I'm sure it was the complication that caused me to cry. The actual root canal went very easy. It's always "after it happens" that I feel the most pain(same with my tonsils).

Then I say get the epidural.

I had a root canal and did not find that painful.

It wasn't the root canal surgery that hurt or during the procedure. it was the next day when the numbing wore off. My tooth hurt like a mother--I couldn't even move my neck without feeling pain--I actually had an infection(my face blew up) so I'm sure it was the complication that caused me to cry. The actual root canal went very easy. It's always "after it happens" that I feel the most pain(same with my tonsils).

I think I have a high tolerance for pain going by my surgeries. I had an emergency tooth removal where the abcess was spreading and they had an ambulance on call. The next few days I was in pain but mostly sleepy. When I had another tooth removed I had it removed with novacaine and walked out of the oral surgeon with little pain. They at the oral surgeon's office even said most people suffer pain but I didn't. When I had knee surgery, I recovered fast too. I get headaches all the time too and rarely take medication. I get terrible menstrual cramps where the first day I often chill but even then I sleep a little bit and the pain subsides.

Hmm I'm really scared about it too. I'm going to try and have a natural birth (an epidural can always be an option if it doesnt work out) simply because my friend just told me you can have back problems for life if you have an epidural.

I consider myself to be a MASSIVE woos.. but my doctor told me once that I have an impressively high pain tolerence threshold - which surprised me. I think I'll try for it. I think that if I can get myself in the right frame of mind I might be able to handle a natural birth - and IF i can't then the epidural is an option. Although I suppose theres a point after which you cant have it anymore?

I'm really not looking forward to my you-know-what tearing or being cut though. Jesus. It sounds so traumatic. And you really have to wonder if its truly worth it.

I think I have a high tolerance for pain going by my surgeries. I had an emergency tooth removal where the abcess was spreading and they had an ambulance on call. The next few days I was in pain but mostly sleepy. When I had another tooth removed I had it removed with novacaine and walked out of the oral surgeon with little pain. They at the oral surgeon's office even said most people suffer pain but I didn't. When I had knee surgery, I recovered fast too. I get headaches all the time too and rarely take medication. I get terrible menstrual cramps where the first day I often chill but even then I sleep a little bit and the pain subsides.

I have a high pain tolerance as well. When my tooth was dying(they say pretty horrible pain) I had no knowledge of it, and I rarely take pain medication for headaches or anything of that sort. I do need pain medication for menustral cramps but if I don't take the medication--as long as I'm in hot water my cramps are soothed.

I think my mindset would be similar to yours--I would walk into the labor with a positive mindset and with the conviction to go "natural". I would also try to believe(even before I'm in labor) that labor is truly a beautiful process and not painful. Sometimes when we tell ourselves things, and also BELIEVE what we are telling ourselves we can trick our body and minds into believing it to be true. I plan on getting doula and having the baby in a tub of water, to soothe comfort and pain(if there is any) and the epidural will only be if I absolutely can no longer take it.

Archived