inguinal hernia problems

bapbapbap

My boyfriend had an inguinal hernia when he was a child and had an operation at the time.

After reading up on this it seems that this operation results in a painful testicle on the side of the hernia repair and the testicle shrinks in size and becomes nonfunctional.

The problem now is he sometimes recieves very strong pain and tightining in the testicle that he had the operation on before or after ejaculation or sometimes for no reason. He initally feels like he is 'winded' but it is much more.

Last night it happened and he couldnt even get up of the floor with the pain, I am so worried about him, I told him to go to the doctors but he wont because it doesnt happen that regulary and the pain goes away during the night so he thinks it is normal. But surley this is not normal?

Does any one know anything about this?

Another thing that has been worrying me is the chances of fertility, does an inguinal hernia ever affect this to the extent that it could be impossible? I am at my wits end worrying about this, what should i do?

I recommend that he goes to the ER the next time he experiences testicular pain. It could be a variety of things - possibly due to the operation, a recurrent hernia, torsion, inflammation/infection. He needs to be examined and would need an ultrasound to rule out torsion (the pain would be excruciating, so he should want to go to the ER). Worst case scenario if he doesn't see a doctor, he loses his testicle.

Regarding fertility, if he has his other testicle, he's fine.

If he's on the floor with pain, he really needs to see someone. If the issue is insurance (which is common with many patients I've seen), find out from your local ER if there is a policy for the uninsured in emergent situations. At my hospital, the uninsured do not have to pay in emergent situations.

just had inguinal surgery 9 weeks ago, pretty quick recovery considering the first week it hurt like nothing i've ever felt before and i could barely stand and walk...

After reading up on this it seems that this operation results in a painful testicle on the side of the hernia repair and the testicle shrinks in size and becomes nonfunctional.

hmmm... i never read anything like that before getting my surgery, doesn't feel like the testicle shrunk @ all

The problem now is he sometimes recieves very strong pain and tightining in the testicle that he had the operation on before or after ejaculation or sometimes for no reason. He initally feels like he is 'winded' but it is much more.

pain & tightening was the main reason i knew something was wrong and went to see a dr. asap... i knew i had the hernia for years, but it never bothered me and a dr. told me that i could probably live w/ it and be alright... well, it didn't bother me for almost 20 years and then woke up one morning a couple months ago w/ the symptoms you described, felt it in the testicle all the way up to the belly button on my right side... a few weeks later i had the surgery and don't regret it one bit...

Last night it happened and he couldnt even get up of the floor with the pain, I am so worried about him, I told him to go to the doctors but he wont because it doesnt happen that regulary and the pain goes away during the night so he thinks it is normal. But surley this is not normal?

definitely not normal, your bf should see a dr. right away before it gets worse...

It's not normal.

I had surgery for an inguinal hernia some years ago and it never hurts at all.

How can you collapse on the floor with pain and still maintain you don't need to see someone?

i no this is not normal but im still unsure if it has anything to do with the inguinal hernia or not.is it not strange that the pain is only there sometimes,its not constantly there. but i just hope i can get him pursuaded into going to the doctor, i know that the only thing stopping him is nerves and he would be very conscious of himself and embarresed about it all i just hope everythings ok.

Archived