Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

What to do with my life...?

-Sanguine-

Yup.. I think about this almost daily. I know I'm only 19 and there's no rush.. but it's something I just wish I knew (don't we all).

It's just so hard to know. First of all, I would really rather not go to school for another 4 years. I feel this way for a few reasons.. a) I do not look forward to paying of thousands of dollars in loans once I finish. I realize it would be worth it, because I would have a good career, but at the same time that just stresses me out and it hasn't even happened yet.. b) I don't like school that much. Yes, I did enjoy it (probably more than my job now).. but I have a lot more freedom than my friends who are in school, and I like that fact. c) In four years, I will be almost 24. To be honest, I want to be married by then and possibly starting a family. If I were just to be finishing a degree, I know I would want to postpone having kids so that I could work for a few years because I don't see the point in getting a degree if you're not going to use it. I know this is just wishful thinking because who knows if I'll even be married or perhaps I will want to hold off on kids. But I've always imagined myself settling down early-ish.

And to be honest.. there's not a lot that I even want to do that involves a degree. I think I would like to be a counsellor professionally.. but that would be SIX more years of school. Plus, I am not even sure I would like it so I'm not willing to risk that.

Other than my interest in psychology, I can't think of anything I'd like to get a degree in. I just really don't know what I want to do.

My other interests also include architecture, interior design, and graphic design.

I already took a one year program for graphic design and I enjoyed it. It's a tough field to get into though, with a lot of grunt work to get to the top.. plus it's very competitive and demanding. I like it so far, but I don't think it's what I want to do forever. I have a job designing construction signs, though.. so perhaps if I had a design job doing something more creative I would enjoy it more?

But my job is REALLY good. I have good hours, work with GREAT people and my boss is one of the nicest guys you'll meet. It's really hard to find a good job, so I want to hold on to this until I know I have something else I am certain about. I enjoy it, but it is very boring. A lot of the time I sit for 6 hours on FB or on this site because there is no work for me to do. I am hoping once they teach me more things about what I can do that my workload will pick up..

I'm not sure if I want to go back to school next fall. I want to, but I don't. Mostly I don't because I don't know what I want to do..

I've also been considering architectural technology - a 2 year course where in the end, I could design floor plans and stuff for homes, which would be REALLY cool. But on the other hand, I like interior design as well.. I wish I could combine both.

I basically like anything where I can be creative/design things. Or where I can help people and feel I'm making a difference.

I just really don't know. Plus I don't really like the city I'm in.. but the city I want to be in has NOTHING offered for design. I could get a degree in psychology there, though.. but I don't think that's what I really want.

Ughhh.. if I'm going to go back to school, I need to start applying soon. Decision time..

Architectural technology sounds really cool and fun! I don't know much about it, but are you sure the course doesn't include interior design aspects as well? It sounds like they kind of blend into each other a bit. But all I know is from watching TV shows where interior design includes knocking down walls and making tile floors, lol.

Just keep your eyes open, and if something looks fun and interesting to you, jump on it! There's nothing wrong with taking a year or so off from school as well just to work and figure things out.

I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I'm getting my degree next year in photography, which I always thought was my one true love, but over the course of my studies, I've also fallen in love with art history. And recently I picked up an internship doing public relations, which is also really fun! So I'll probably be able to get a PR job once I graduate, but I'd still like to go to grad school, and if I do that, I'd have to choose between photography and art history, aaahh!

Unfortunately, the course doesn't include both aspects. It does in another city, but I'm not interested in living there.. it's far from everything and everyone I know. I think I may apply for the architectural technology course and I can always decide not to go even if I do get accepted. But it would be nice to have that option later on if I decide I want to go back to school for that.

Photography sounds really cool! And so does art history. I hope you can decide between the two easily! If not, I'm sure you can find some way to incorporate both of them into your life

Archived