Should I take a low-paying job and get off unemployment?

I worked at a vet assistant for 11 bucks an hour at an animal hospital for 7 years (started in the kennel). It's the only job I have had and I live on my own with really nowhere to go. I did manage to get my A.A. Degree during this time.

I was fired last week from my job but I believe I should be getting unemployment benefits soon. So far I have had 4 interviews, and for two of those I was offered the job but one seemed shady and the other was just part time.

I had an interview today at a law office for a mail room job which I hope I get, but a lot of people applied and Friday I have an interview at Banfield Animal Hospital. I have a feeling I could get the banfield job but Im sure the pay isn't that great.

Tomorrow I will be interviewed at a staffing agency. What should I do? Take whatever I can get? Honesly, the more I think about it the more I realize I don't wanna work with animals anymore.

My real passion is music and I hope to go back to school one day but right now it's not an option.

If you want to lay the foundation for a sustainable career, you'll try your best to get out of unemployment. Hiring managers generally take employment gaps seriously, rightly or wrongly. Unless you're going to school to learn a new skill or trade, or starting a completely new business (like shes2smart), you'll only be consuming money at the cost of your potential growth.

In this economy, it's too easy to be trapped in perpetual unemployment. Don't give anyone a reason to pass you up for someone else.

How much is minimum wage where you are? Here it is $10.25/hour. So... yes. For the sake of 75 cents/hour ($30/week)... yeah... I'd take just about anything.

I guess it's all relative.

Wow that's really high. Where I am the lowest rate got raised from 6.50 to 7.25. To be honest working anywhere is better than living off of the government

Do you think, taking a low paying job...could hinder my job search for something better and maybe even make me look like one of those people that just jumps from job to job? I found a cooking job tht just pays 9 dollars an hour(only sent a cover letter, waiting for a response). I dont wanna be stuck doing work like this forever..I just dont know what to do to better myself though when I live on my own, have to support myself, etc.

Yeah, unemployment is 7.25 here. What if the job offered is part-time? Should I take it anyway? I have heard you can have a part-time job and still draw unemployment. Not that thats what I want...but if the part-time job could possibly turn into something full time I would be ok with it.

You need to check with your state's unemployment agency and find out what the rule is in your state. If I remember right, where I live, unemployment benefits were decreased by the amount you earned, but I am sure this varies by state and your best bet is to check with whatever agency administers benefits where you live.

Do you think, taking a low paying job...could hinder my job search for something better and maybe even make me look like one of those people that just jumps from job to job? I found a cooking job tht just pays 9 dollars an hour(only sent a cover letter, waiting for a response). I dont wanna be stuck doing work like this forever..I just dont know what to do to better myself though when I live on my own, have to support myself, etc.

Very doubtful - the last two years have been hell and everyone knows that. People have taken work they are over qualified for just to be able to support themselves/their families and you'd have to be dealing with a complete idiot if they didn't understand that things have been like that.

You're not going to get stuck unless you allow yourself to get stuck. So you take a low-paying job...but you keep up with your job search. Where people mess up is they get a job, but then they don't keep up with their efforts to find something else. Yeah, there's only so many hours in a day and you may be tired from being at work for 6 or 8 or however many hours, and you may have other things you want or need to do but you have to have the drive and discipline to up the effort to find a better job if you don't want to get stuck.

While there is some element of "luck" involved, I have found that, many times, we create our own luck and our own opportunities through our own efforts.

I had an interview today at this staffing agency and told them I wanted office work. Even told them I am a musician and I want something that will let me have my evenings free. They had me take a test which I got 50% on Excelt, 100% on Data Entry and I don't remember on typing but it was pretty good. I don't have many skills other than writing songs though. I told them I would take a manual labor job. They then told me about a company that is manufactures speakers and they need people in their warehouse. Now this company wants to interview me on Tuesday...the staffing agency sent me info about the job and it says that the job is looking for people who are fork lift capable, know about picking and packing, etc. I have NEVER dont any of these things. What do I do? The job will only be 4 hours a day but "could be moved up to full time in 30 days" Is it a scam? My mom tells me to draw unemployment for a while and continue looking for other things, but I HATE being without a job and I am so worried I will never find anyth ing. I live on my own though and I pay about $585 a month for rent plus utilities, food, etc.

Some things to say here... have a game plan.

1. Working with animals is close to working as a volunteer unless you are a certified vet. Zoos, rehabilitation centers, humane society, shelters, and vet offices run most of their business through charity donations. You're not going to find good money in that field, period.

2. Being a Musician isn't reliable. There are those who make bank (not a lot) while there are starving artists out there trying to make a buck.

3. Take any crappy job you can find. Keep job hunting every time you get off from work. Use sick/"my car broke down" excuses to attend job interviews where pay is higher and offers more hours. I have done it and don't regret it when it boiled down to my survival.

Now this company wants to interview me on Tuesday...the staffing agency sent me info about the job and it says that the job is looking for people who are fork lift capable, know about picking and packing, etc. I have NEVER dont any of these things. What do I do?

You have to be licensed to run a fork lift. Does this mean the company is willing to train you? Ask before going to the interview.

The job will only be 4 hours a day but "could be moved up to full time in 30 days" Is it a scam?

Is the company well known? It is always a good idea to research the company before going to the interview. Not only does it impress your employer, but it reassure that the job is right for you.

Archived