It's become an obsession.. is it real??

-Sanguine-

Lately, I have been kind of freaking out.

I am known to be a huge worrier. If my boyfriend and I are having an argument, and it lasts a day or two, I will physically feel sick until the argument is settled. That's just how I am and always have been. I've actually missed work because of it a few times.

So, my boyfriend is going through a rough time. He was in an accident where it wasn't his fault, but he's getting his license taken away and he's being sued unfairly. He also had someone die in his arms. It's taken a toll on him and he's not himself. We've hardly talked this week because he needs space. This is also very stressful for me because I don't even know the state of our relationship and I feel so disconnected. I wish he would let me in.

Getting to the point.. I last had my period on September 14th. My boyfriend and I had sex on the 19th and that's it. We had sex once, maybe twice but I don't think he came the second time. I am supposed to get my period tomorrow. Except I decided I was going to skip it because my boyfriend will be home tomorrow and it always happens that I get my period when he comes home for a week. So I just started my pill pack right away, it was approved by my pharmacist.

I have been having this constant obsession, I would say.. that I might be pregnant. I have NO idea where it came from. I haven't missed a pill and we had sex once. The odds are very low. We've been having sex with just using the pill and no condom for months now and I've never forgotten a pill and have always been good at remembering to take them on time. I have, other times, become worried about being pregnant for no reason and it always turns out I'm not.

But this time.. I am feeling symptoms. I have become COMPULSIVE with checking my breasts for tenderness. This started probably a week ago. In the beginning, they weren't tender at all. Nothing. Yesterday, the sides started feeling a bit tender and they still are today.

My whole body aches. My lower back especially. My legs. The backs of my arms have been tender. I feel cramp like pain a lot in my lower abdomen and twinges of pain as well.

Twice last week, I went through a half hour spurt where my temperature rose and my palms were sweating and I was sweating at work. This never happens.

I honestly believe I am giving myself a hysterical pregnancy. Just like I make myself sick when I'm fighting with my boyfriend. And to be honest, the symptoms persist the most, when I spend time thinking about them.. if I am distracted or having fun, I don't feel 'pregnant'. But lately, I haven't been able to take my mind off it..

I haven't been sleeping well lately, so my mom said I was achey due to lack of sleep. I feel I am so stressed out about my relationship that I am sick of worrying about it, so maybe I made this up so I can take my mind off my other problems. I feel like this is all stress related. Is it possible my breasts could become tender because of hysterical pregnancy?

So I'm not going to get my period on Tuesday..Because I've already started my new pack of pills. But I don't feel like worrying about this. Should I just take a test? Or go to the doctor? If I were pregnant.. well, let's just say it is NOT the right time. I probably should have not started my new pack.. because then tomorrow I would just see if I got my period and then I could stop worrying. But I did. Because my boyfriend and I need it, I think.. we need to reconnect physically and emotionally.

Thoughts??

I think I will tomorrow. Except I'm scared that I won't believe it.. don't ask me why..

They'd be able to be accurate by now, right? I mean since I'm supposed to be getting my period.

Doesn't matter to me if he wears a condom, feels no different and I would prefer that. But he hates them and they make sex less pleasurable for him. And we hardly have sex as it is due to distance and stress, so I would hate to limit that even more. But at the same time I'd rather have that then be pregnant.

Well, to be honest, If your going to get this worried then mabe a different method? Maybe an implant, coil, something more permanent that you dont have to worry about taking or forgetting?

Perhaps go and speak to a nurse/gynacologist tell them your fears and ask their advice.

Obviously the best method is no sex!

I think you are being obsessive and you need to cut yourself some slack. The symptoms you describe can develop because of missing your 'period week' on the combi pill - it's just to do with the amount of hormonal activity that results. If you are as compliant as you say then it is very unlikely you got pregnant, the combined pill is the most effective method of contraception there is. Try to stop thinking about it and checking yourself obsessively. Take a warm bath, listen to some music, go for a run, anything to break the cycle of thoughts.

I think you are being obsessive and you need to cut yourself some slack. The symptoms you describe can develop because of missing your 'period week' on the combi pill - it's just to do with the amount of hormonal activity that results. If you are as compliant as you say then it is very unlikely you got pregnant, the combined pill is the most effective method of contraception there is. Try to stop thinking about it and checking yourself obsessively. Take a warm bath, listen to some music, go for a run, anything to break the cycle of thoughts.

Thanks, that made me feel better.

The only thing I can think of..

is that we had sex on a Monday. I started my new pill pack at 6pm on day before. Normally, I start at 6 am, but I thought I was going to throw up (and I did) so I held off.

So I took my pill 6pm Sunday night and then at 6 am on Monday and for the rest of the time. That's the only time I can think of about not taking my pill on time, but it was the first pill in the pack so technically it was the standard.. I just took the other ones early, lol. And here I am obsessing again!!

I took a warm bath. Now I'm going to try to relax..

Yeah, I guess so.. I'll have to think about that.

Do you think it's possible to worry so much that you start to develop the symptoms?

Yes. Your mind can "make up" these symptoms and because you are looking for them, you will see them even when they have nothing to do with pregnancy. Stress and PMS can both mimic pregnancy symptoms. You can not tell if you are pregnant off of symptoms, they are not reliable. The only way to know is to take a test. Home pregnancy test tend to be very accurate if taken correctly. It's also best to use first morning urine.

Your breasts could be tender from you poking and prodding at them. Just a thought.

I've heard of women so convinced they were pregnant they even began skipping periods, so it is possible. Just take another test in the morning and if it's negative, then trust that it's right. It's been nearly a month, so if you are, it should show.

I wonder if it's because you delayed your period, though. Logically you know it's because of the pills, but you were still expecting it to show up so when it didn't, I think you automatically jumped to the pregnancy conclusion, and it is so hard to get away from.

When can you take the placebo week? Sunday?

Your breasts could be tender from you poking and prodding at them. Just a thought.

I was going to say this! lol.

You really REALLY need to calm down! You can do all sorts of things to your body by letting your mind go off on a crazy tangent. Calm your mind and your body will begin to behave itself again. Oh and stop poking and prodding yourself about- it's enough to make anyone feel there was something wrong!

I've heard of women so convinced they were pregnant they even began skipping periods, so it is possible. Just take another test in the morning and if it's negative, then trust that it's right. It's been nearly a month, so if you are, it should show.

I wonder if it's because you delayed your period, though. Logically you know it's because of the pills, but you were still expecting it to show up so when it didn't, I think you automatically jumped to the pregnancy conclusion, and it is so hard to get away from.

When can you take the placebo week? Sunday?

I don't think it's because I delayed my period. Well, perhaps the tender breasts could be. But the other 'symptoms' I thought I had showed up last week before I had even decided to skip my period. But today I feel 100x better after taking the pregnancy test. I don't have any 'symptoms' except tender breasts and they aren't even that bad.

I don't think it's because I delayed my period. Well, perhaps the tender breasts could be. But the other 'symptoms' I thought I had showed up last week before I had even decided to skip my period. But today I feel 100x better after taking the pregnancy test. I don't have any 'symptoms' except tender breasts and they aren't even that bad.

The test came out negative, so try to stop stressing. It's really bad for your body to be stressed for long periods of time. You'll end up making yourself sick. Trust in what the test said, you are not pregnant.

Archived