Wording...how to ask my roommate to leave/issue 30-day notice?

findingbeauty

I have a new roommate (she's been here one month) and I would like to issue a 30 day notice for her to move. I know it's legal for me to do this because I rented the room to her. Also, she is not on the apartment lease and I have lived here 10 years. I am wondering how can I do so in a polite way that is not personal to her? By law, I am not entitled to give a reason and I've read it's best to give as little detail as possible - to keep it clean and less dramatic. She is a decent person, but we are not compatible as roommates. I have found someone to replace her and need to get the ball rolling at the end of the month.

I don't want drama and would prefer her not feel bad. Is there a way I could say this without giving the reason? Or should I make something up that would make it feel less personal to her?

On the other shoe, I've had a couple roommates give me 30-days notice that they are moving out, and unless it is for a very specific reason, they have just said they are moving in with a friend, or want to be closer to school, or something.

It just feels so much harder to tell someone that THEY need to move rather than telling them that you are moving.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Wow. Rough. If you know it's legal then I won't harp on it... but it's not legal where I am. You can give 30 days notice as a tenant but the landlord (you in this instance) has to give you 3 months notice. Anyways... I guess that's moot.

I don't think there's any way to have her not feel bad. She's going to be mad. I would be... Imagine you just paid/gathered all your friends to move into a place just to have to turn around and move again. Not to mention the hassle of having to find another place... yikes. That's both expensive and time consuming. And the fact that you aren't giving her leeway? She could be homeless in 30 days. That's extremely stressful. Yeah... I'd be mad and hate you - regardless of your reasoning.

I agree with maroney. Just tell her that it's not working out and that you want her to find a new place. Put it in writing (and keep a copy) - in case she tries to come back on you.

Don't worry about the hurt feelings - because she's going to be mad. No two ways about it.

just tell her a really good friend of yours has got out of a rough relationship or is moving to the area and you really want to be there to support her, and that you appreciate it's a horrible thing to do, but you really need her to move on.

she'll not be impressed.... but what do you expect ?

(p.s. is she really that bad a roommate?!)

I did a google search on "issuing 30 day notice to roommate" and this thread was the first that popped up. Now I'm afraid to write on this. What if the roommate does a similar search in order to investigate her rights and runs into this? If I put enough detail in it, it will be clearly obvious it is the same story. Not sure how anonymous I'm feeling right now.

Archived