LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice

Thread: my superiors over the years

somewhere between the free world and the Third World

my superiors over the years

Where I've worked and gone to school, my superiors almost always wanted to be on a first name basis with their employees/students. they seemed not comfortable with being adressed as "sir," "maam," professor," etc.

I come from a place where this isn't heard of, where if you called a superior by his/her first name, you'd really be frowned on. even now I still dont feel comfortable saying something like, "Good morning Jim," in the workplace. This feels like too casual a basis to be on with a boss when they're supposed to be above you in some way. it's just what I'm used to from years ago, and what do you people think??

Its just different cultures, different areas/companies/countires are all different. At school it was always Miss or Sir, and at work I call everyone by their first names.

I come from the same culture, much different from in the US where it's accepted to call by their first name. Go with what's accepted socially and within the company; it's different everywhere.

somewhere between the free world and the Third World
    Originally Posted by SapphireNoir10
    Its just different cultures, different areas/companies/countires are all different. At school it was always Miss or Sir, and at work I call everyone by their first names.
    I think you have a point here, and you too sir below, thanx.

Give Advice
Ask For Advice