My dog has an enormous lump... but doesn't act sick...

Ammy

Hi guys,

My dog has an enormous lump on his hind leg - it's like the whole leg bulges at the top (it's about 2/3 the size of a golf-ball - just looks like his thigh is swollen). We only found it last week when he got his hair groomed (he is a silky terrier with very long hair that makes him look much bigger until shaved). We took him to the vet who went in for surgery but didn't remove it as it is too large and wrapped around the leg. He has sent tissue for a biopsy but no results as yet. They initially did a needle biopsy that came back clear, but now he has got deep tissue. He told my mum to expect the worst... and that given the lump appeared quite quickly it could be an aggressive form of tumor. I don't get it though.. He doesn't act sick AT ALL. He is spritely and eating and playing like normal.

Does anyone know what it could be? Have you ever heard of a dog (or any creature) having an aggressive tumor but not showing any signs of illness?

We have had him for 10 years, he was very close to my dad who died 3 years ago and I'm so scared to lose him. He is beyond precious to me both because of who he is, but also he is a part of my dad that lives on.

Ammy

If I'm not mistaken I think this happens in humans too, that you don't feel sick from cancer until it's too late (unless you catch it early and do radiation treatment, which causes a lot of pain).

It is possible to have benign lumps but usually they wouldn't be this big or this sudden. But I'm no vet.

Sorry, I hope you get the results soon.

there is something called a fatty lipoma that can grow really quickly that is very common in dogs and is not cancerous... you can read about it here:

link removed

I've had two dogs have these, and they come out of nowhere and are harmless unless they are in an awkward place or get really big. It also helps to slim them down if they're overweight, as the size of the tumor goes down when they lose weight since it is composed of fat.

Our dog had a big old nasty looking lump that appeared overnight. Turned out to be nothing major - can't remember what the vet called it, but it might have been the lipoma thing that lavenderdove mentioned. It was all kinds of scary looking, but the vet removed it and all was well. Absolutely no change in his behavior - he was happy as could be. My mom's dog, on the other hand, had a tumor that would fill with fluid and was cancerous in some manner, and you could definitely observe a change in his behavior. He was listless, and i think it hurt him. He would sit and look at you with these big sad eyes, like he didn't know why he was hurting, or at least that was my interpretation. Before that he was a rather bouncy, playful dog.

I had a cat once who lived on a farm before I owned her. She had a growth around her stomach area (that I never noticed and didn't show up on an x-ray). The vet explained to me that a parasite had burrowed into her skin and her body built up this mass to protect itself. I mention this only to say, not all masses are cancer. And until the end, she never let me know she had a mass growing inside of her until it was the size of a kiwi and was blocking her stomach.

I have had a couple cats with severe disorders, most of them don't show pain at all. It's frustrating for sure.

I didn't know about fatty lipoma in dogs.. that makes sense. The parasite scenario is interesting too but usually they burrow near the stomach, right? I guess the part that makes me a bit more pessimistic is that you said they tried to remove it in surgery but couldn't because it's so embedded in her leg. I hope for your (and your dog's!) sake that it's a benign cyst or fatty lipoma. Let us know when you get the biopsy results.

The vet says that it is a spindle cell carcinoma which means it is cancerous. The treatment is removal of the lump which should preserve his life for about 8 months. I am hopeful that we will be able to do this. It is hard to deal with knowing he doesn't have years ahead of him, but I guess we knew it wouldnt be long given his poor health since he was 4... He is a tough little fellow, he beat it time and again and has been battling for the past 6 years with ongoing illness... I don't want to ever lose him, but if I get some more months with him it is a blessing.

there is something called a fatty lipoma that can grow really quickly that is very common in dogs and is not cancerous... you can read about it here:

link removed

I've had two dogs have these, and they come out of nowhere and are harmless unless they are in an awkward place or get really big. It also helps to slim them down if they're overweight, as the size of the tumor goes down when they lose weight since it is composed of fat.

These are quite common in lots of dogs but if your dog has never been diagnosed with one before please see your vet!!! I see lots of lumps and bumps all day and for the most part many are not a big deal and we discuss what to watch for and we when need to take action ---- but some of these come in and I schedule surgery right away... some of these non-painful, innocent lumps are potential killers. The internet is a great tool - especially for researching things once you've been given a diagnosis but please don't rely on it to diagnose your dog. The best way to get the correct answer and peace of mind is to schedule an appointment. Good Luck!

Ooppps - I guess I was in the middle of a post when you were updating the thread...

I'm glad you took him to the vet!

I'm so sorry that you received such a diagnosis... I hope that the surgery goes well and that his doctor can remove not only the affected tissue but is able to remove an adequate margin around the mass as well. He sounds like such a trooper and he is so lucky he has someone like you to advocate and take care of him. His life though may be shorter than some certainly has been longer due to such good care and compassion from you. Will be thinking of you in the days ahead as you prepare for surgery.

Hugs!!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Ammy our 14 yr old Chihuahua had same thing, we didn't know what to do, it didn't bother her, it bothered me. Anyway, Dr just said to watch it, and if it gets bigger let him know, well we did, and he said she's ok, said he can remove but, can't guarantee it won't come back. We waited til it was the size of a lime to have it removed, it took longer than usual to recover because we waited so long. It took about 6 wks. Long story short. Our dog is fine except about 3 wks ago we noticed it's growing back again, it's the size of a grape now, again doesn't bother our dog. It cost $500 to remove the 1st time, if we would of had removed earlier at the it is size it is now, it would of cost $180. But, Dr. said it could come back again, we can't keep spending hundreds for surgery, also took about 6 weeks to heal, I had to bring dog back to Dr.s office every 3 to 4 days for wrap change. Our Dr. Called it a mass and said it was benion so we waited but, like I said I couldn't take it, it was draging on the ground, hurt me not the dog. So I suggest get Dr's opinion, if it doesn't hurt dog leave it alone, because they say most of them do grow back. Unless it starts to drag on ground then you'll want to remove probably like I did. Wish you the best. I love my dogs they are part of my family, I'm sure you do too.

• 3 years later...

[My dog has an enormous lump on his hind leg - it's like the whole leg bulges at the topQUOTE=Ammy;4459204]Hi guys,

My dog has an enormous lump on his hind leg - it's like the whole leg bulges at the top (it's about 2/3 the size of a golf-ball - just looks like his thigh is swollen). We only found it last week when he got his hair groomed (he is a silky terrier with very long hair that makes him look much bigger until shaved). We took him to the vet who went in for surgery but didn't remove it as it is too large and wrapped around the leg. He has sent tissue for a biopsy but no results as yet. They initially did a needle biopsy that came back clear, but now he has got deep tissue. He told my mum to expect the worst... and that given the lump appeared quite quickly it could be an aggressive form of tumor. I don't get it though.. He doesn't act sick AT ALL. He is spritely and eating and playing like normal.

Does anyone know what it could be? Have you ever heard of a dog (or any creature) having an aggressive tumor but not showing any signs of illness?

We have had him for 10 years, he was very close to my dad who died 3 years ago and I'm so scared to lose him. He is beyond precious to me both because of who he is, but also he is a part of my dad that lives on.

Ammy

Ammy;

I see this has been a few years since the post and since I am just going through the same thing I'm wondering if you could tell me anything more about what it had been and how it did or did not progress.

Thank you

bjmsongs

Archived