Inhaled rubbing alcohol, not sick but WORRIED

Last night I cut myself while clipping nose hairs and I thoroughly cleaned the cut area inside my nose with rubbing alcohol and inhaled it by accident. My sinuses and eyes immediately stung and became uncomfortable for the rest of the night. Today my eyes feel dry and uncomfortable. Am I at risk of going blind? The alcohol did not come in contact w/ my eyes externally, but i am still concerned.

Also, i already have severe dry eye so i use drops. I am worried if I use the drops today, that might cause some sort of unseen problem. Am I just being obsessive?

I am sure you will be fine. Rubbing aclohol will sting any open cut. It does the same thing to my eyes if I get the bottle to close.

Wood aclohol will make you blind if you drink it, not inhale it. If the problems persist call your eye doctor for advice on how to relieve the discomfort and for assurance you will be okay.

Lost

right, but i didnt inhale from the bottle. i literally had a cotton swab of alcohol in my nostril, so it was a quite a jolt when i inhaled. afterwards i read the warnings and it says: do not apply to mucous membranes (aka nostrils), so since then i've been worried. still think i'll be fine?

thanks.

I don't think you're at any risk of going blind from just inhaling it (if so, it would come with a lot more warnings). You could always call your local poison control for their opinion, or see your doctor.

EDIT: just saw what you wrote above. I think the warning is just there because mucous membranes are sensitive and could get dried out from the alcohol. Do you have saline you could use to flush your nostrils?

In the future you might try a nose hair trimmer. I got one for my Dad and brother last year as a gag gift for X-mas (after asking to borrow a pair of scissors from my brother and being told they were his nose hair scissors). My Dad told me it's actually been really useful. They're pretty cheap.

thanks everyone for taking the time to respond... What's the scoop w/ saline? I've never used it before. Also, I'm at work so I won't be able to until later.

also, I agree I need to buy a nose hair trimmer.

Saline is basically clean salt water. It does wonders for your body. You can gargle with it to help with a sore throat, squirt it up your nose to help the membranes, things like that.

I typically like to use a saline spray in my nose every time after the shower. I don't have a lot of sinus problems like a lot of people here in the summer and such and I think this is why. My boyfriend has bad sinuses (he got surgery a while ago) and he uses saline spray in the morning and night and it has done WONDERS for him.

It will help with the dryness/irritation in your nose. You can pick up a small bottle at a drugstore.

It will help with the dryness/irritation in your nose. You can pick up a small bottle at a drugstore.

Yep. Look for the aisle with nasal sprays and you should see one that says saline. Typically the only active ingredient is sodium chloride, there are no drugs. One reputable brand is Ocean but generic works just as well. It helps cleanse and restore moisture balance to your mucous membranes.

• 6 years later...
Last night I cut myself while clipping nose hairs and I thoroughly cleaned the cut area inside my nose with rubbing alcohol and inhaled it by accident. My sinuses and eyes immediately stung and became uncomfortable for the rest of the night. Today my eyes feel dry and uncomfortable. Am I at risk of going blind? The alcohol did not come in contact w/ my eyes externally, but i am still concerned.

Next time use vodka. 1 ounce vodka to 2 parts distilled water. Also if u were using a Q-tip there's not enough to reach ur lungs when inhaled but it is t very nice on the eyes. A few days and they should feel pretty normal again. Try a cool cloth ocross ur eyes and lay back for awhile for the discomfort.

Archived