I am 28 years old with a bachelors + MBA (from top 50 US business school) and still don't know what to do with my life.
How am I supposed to figure it out? If it helps...
1) When I try to introspect, I feel lost.
2) During my MBA, my then gf dumped me (my only relationship till date) and it wasn't an amicable breakup, which resulted in complete mental trauma for me during my (probably) most important time of career, affecting or clouding my decisions to take courses and do job search (decide job/company) and also affecting my study performance
3) I took a huge loan (about 50 K USD) to do the MBA which means, although I don't enjoy my job currently, I have to stick it out for 2-3 years to repay the loan (Thankfully I have a job and it pays well ... 80K before taxes)
4) I can't quit my job as I am on visa which means I have to back to my home country if I quit the job
5) I started looking for a job outside (corporate) but since my 1 year at my current company hasn't been great (incapable and micromanaging boss + bad work profile), I feel like my post-mba experience is ridiculous and is not helping me land a job. I rarely get interviews + I had one and they said although they liked me they chose someone with more experience
6) I am starting to realize that you get pigeonholed on what types of jobs you can do (function or industry) - at least in major companies - based on your current/prior experience. Which makes me very scared because I hate my current work and not sure if I am in the right industry
7) I couldn't sleep last night thinking about where am I with my life? Huge loan, not happy with the career and a failed relationship. I used to be one of the smarted and also most successful (and likeable) people in school/undergrad/work before mba. So, what is happening now?
If I really look back the happiest days of my life were when I was in my home country with a modest job with a modest pay with the girl that I loved and a couple of good/close friends and doing a bit of volunteering work and music on the side.
9) I can't help but think my life (personal and professional) are going downhill
10) And I still don't know what I should do for my career and my life in general.
10) And I feel like an idiot these days for taking up such a bold step of MBA and now not knowing what to do with my career (I understand external circumstances such as economy and relationships played a role but still)
Many people on ENA have great life experiences and your inputs are really needed. Anything ranging from advice on career counselors to financial priorities to anything... is appreciated.
Thank you folks.