Open Club  ·  31 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

Travelling into the USA from Canada with a Cat?

TearsofFate

I am going into the US next week from Canada. The bridge I'll be crossing by foot is Rainbow Bridge in Niagara Falls. I'll be bringing my 11 month old kitten into the states.

I phoned the Canadian border regulations along with my vet and I even phoned the patrol at Rainbow Bridge itself to ask what I needed.

They all told me the same thing "You don't need any kind of paper work unless you are returning back to Canada with the cat or if it's a dog you need paperwork both ways."

Paperwork = Rabies certificate. I don't have a rabies certificate and he isn't fixed yet but I plan to get that done on the other side of the border where my parents live.

Can anyone tell me if this is true or not. I really can just show up with a cat and they will let me through? He is in good health. Someone also told me to "declare that you have a cat, don't show up unannounced."

What does that even mean?....

How do I declare that I have a cat?

I'm leaving in 2 days and it's a 3 hour journey to the border so any help would be very much appreciated! Thanks!

I was always under the impression that any animals you bring into the USA from another country had to be quarantined and you have to provide a clean bill of health before hand including a current rabies?

Something doesn't sound right get a hold of American customs don't just take the Canadian sides word for it. After all they don't care cause the cats leaving Canada when you fly into the states I know they have to be quarantined for at least 30 days at your cost.

Might want to check here: link removed

Cats are subject to inspection at ports of entry and may be denied entry into the United States if they have evidence of an infectious disease that can be transmitted to humans. If a cat appears to be ill, further examination by a licensed veterinarian at the owner's expense might be required at the port of entry.

Cats are not required to have proof of rabies vaccination for importation into the United States. However, some states require vaccination of cats for rabies, so it is a good idea to check with state and local health authorities at your final destination

Strange, I've brought dogs of varying ages -including a 10 wk old puppy) into both the US and Mexico and back again from Canada many times and all that was required was a "certificate of health" issued within 72 hours of travel. The vet will know what this entails. Usually it is just a letter that says this dog or cat is in good health and vaccines are up to date (as much as possible based on age), signed _vet_. If you can't get to the vet within 72 hours they will just post date the letter for you.

When someone says to declare the cat at the border usually the customs officer will ask if you have anything to declare so let then know "hey, I have a cat here, and here are its papers" usually the customs officer will ask if you have anything to declare

I've never had a problem, nor have I ever heard from anyone of having to quarantine their pet for 30 days if it does not have a rabies vacc yet. That just sounds ludicrous to me, I was sure they had gotten rid of that some time ago.

My mom, who is in America, just phoned the American border regulations and patrol and they also said I don't need any sort of paper as long as the cat appears healthy.

My mom is skeptical about the whole thing since she was asked for a vacc. paper when bringing our 12 year old cat into the states. I really hope I don't get stopped.

Might want to check here: link removed

Thanks for that. I'm going to continue phoning around for answers. If anyone specifically knows the regulations for Niagara Falls New York please let me know! I did phone there, but I'm really skeptical about it since my mom got asked before.

Yeah, I didn't see anything about them quarantining animals. I also read somewhere that they only ask you if you need to go back into Canada with the cat...but for dogs it's different and you need a paper either way.

If I can get my cat accross the border without the vaccination paper that would be helpful. What basically happened is I got my cat a year ago but my building manager is hounding me because this is a no-animal building (yet she owns a bunch of birds..that sit on her shoulder all the time ..oh brother.)

My mom said she would take my cat. The cost for the vets would come to around 200 (plus needles and everything) and I don't have the money until the end of next month but my manager wants the cat gone now.

I would rather my mom keep him, since I am in love with him, and I'll get to see him all the time since I visit America all the time.

I asked my vet about regulations and she was like "Oh my gosh I really don't know! Hahaha, they don't need anything? That sounds so weird!".

So...I'm at a loss.

I wish I could be more helpful but I too am not sure. All I can tell you is that one time my husband and I were driving back to the U.S. from Canada and we were given a hard time about having TOMATOES in our cooler from a farmer's market in Montreal. They said we could only take what we were going to eat THAT DAY - so we could keep one each for our sandwiches but had to give them the other 10. They said it had something to do with regulations but I think they were lying bullies and just wanted the tomatoes for themselves. lol (They were yummy!)

Anyways, check out this site: link removed They give info at the bottom dealing with animals.

LIVE ANIMALS

• Please refer to the CSA Travel Information Guide for general information concerning your pet travelling with you to the U.S.
  • For specific question please contact the USDA Veterinarian at (301) 734-3277 or your local Canada/US border crossing

If it were me, I'd get all vaccinations up to date and keep the proof handy, even if they say that they don't need it.

• 2 months later...

Hello TearsofFate,

I also need to bring my cat from Canada into US from Buffalo border, and my cat also don't have rabies certificate, and I also have read somewhere that only dogs need certificate but cats not

could you tell me if you already have brought you cat into US? did the officers ask for any certificate? Thanks!

Hello TearsofFate,

I also need to bring my cat from Canada into US from Buffalo border, and my cat also don't have rabies certificate, and I also have read somewhere that only dogs need certificate but cats not

could you tell me if you already have brought you cat into US? the officers ask for any certificate? Thanks!

Hello TearsofFate,

could you tell me if you already have brought you cat into US? the officers ask for any certificate? Thanks!

• 5 months later...

I'm sorry for not replying to this post. I found, depending on what border crossing you are driving or walking through determines the regulations. Find out exactly which area you are crossing and phone them up. I asked the border guys at the Niagara Falls crossing, which is where I had to cross, and they said "We don't care, you can just bring him as long as he looks healthy".

You also need to claim that you have a cat. So as you reach the officers at the crossing, just say "I have a cat". I know it's obvious to them that you do, but I guess what they meant to say is don't try and hide it. I needed no papers and they actually liked the cat...thought he was cute, and let us by in 10 seconds.

Coming back into Canada with a cat is different. The Canadian borders require papers.

They actually stopped two guys who had a bunch of pears in their bags. They really don't like it when people bring fruit over the border in general. I think it has to do with illegal planting/selling of foreign fruits. When my brother went to Ireland and was coming back to Canada, one of the questions they asked him was "Have you walked through any farm land, soil, or earthly or damp dirt?"

They asked just because tiny seeds can stick in between the ridges of people's shoes and boots, and then become released in a new country ...causing unwanted growth of foreign plants, veggies and fruits.

Archived