Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 50

Thread: Why do shy people act so stuck-up?

  1. #1
    simplegirl
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    47

    Why do shy people act so stuck-up?

    Just curious


    i realized after having a thing for some shy guys... they act really stuck up.
    like they are too good to talk to anyone?
    Well i use to like this guy and I thought "maybe i should talk to him more"
    so i tried, and he acted so standoffish. I thought it was kind of rude? Do you think you're too good to talk to me? I figured he was shy by watching his body language in class. But why do shy people act like that?

    Im not a mean girl, i meant well. Heck even throwing him a sincere compliment made him feel uneasy and acted like he was scared or didnt want to be around me?
    Whats up with that?

    I have no idea how to tell if a shy person like someone. Because they often act really rude and uninterested
    does anyone else share the same experience?

    I dont mean to be offensive.

  2. #2
    Fudgie
    Forum Supporter
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    14,200
    Thanked
    1416
    I don't think shy people are "stuck up"...they are just perceived this way.

    Some people just clam up when they are uncomfortable and don't talk. It's because they are nervous, not because they are "stuck up" or "too good" for you.

  3. #3
    Mr. Franklin

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    United States
    Age
    26
    Posts
    321
    Gender
    Male
    You answered your own questions. These guys are shy. They're not being stuck-up because they have little say. Shy people normally do not say much.

  4. #4
    vertigoxo
    Platinum Member vertigoxo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    USA
    Age
    25
    Posts
    4,365
    Gender
    Female
    Thanked
    1
    Shy people, or introverted people, are labeled as "stuck up" since they're not the type to go around and throw hugs at friends and strike a friendly conversation with a lot of people. It's not that they think they're better than everyone... They just try to distance themselves from people because, well, they're shy and probably easily embarrassed. Don't take it to heart.

  5. #5
    simplegirl
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by Fudgie [Register to see the link]
    I don't think shy people are "stuck up"...they are just perceived this way.

    Some people just clam up when they are uncomfortable and don't talk. It's because they are nervous, not because they are "stuck up" or "too good" for you.
    but they really do come off as if they are better than anyone else they don't know.
    If i wanted to hurt you, I would come out with it, i'd tell you "hey i dont like you". And thats not how i feel. I do want to get to know you, but how can I when someone acts like they are too good for anyone?

    It just really irritates me. I added the guy on facebook right, and he accepted so i thought 'ok at least he doesn't hate me enough to accept my request' but whenever i say "hey how are you?" he just ignores me. I thought that was so rude. But in class he always looks at me. Whats up with that? At first i thought 'maybe he doesnt use fb too much' but he does, cause I seen his wall-feed and he was talking to this guy he always hangs out with.

    And I thought how rude it was. To ignore someone like that

  6. #6
    Mr. Franklin

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    United States
    Age
    26
    Posts
    321
    Gender
    Male
    Quote Originally Posted by simplegirl [Register to see the link]

    It just really irritates me. I added the guy on facebook right, and he accepted so i thought 'ok at least he doesn't hate me enough to accept my request' but whenever i say "hey how are you?" he just ignores me. I thought that was so rude. But in class he always looks at me. Whats up with that? At first i thought 'maybe he doesnt use fb too much' but he does, cause I seen his wall-feed and he was talking to this guy he always hangs out with.

    And I thought how rude it was. To ignore someone like that
    He may not be shy. A girl did this to me and she is not shy. She was not interested in me. Some people add new friends and do not know the people.

  7. #7
    Fudgie
    Forum Supporter
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    14,200
    Thanked
    1416
    Quote Originally Posted by simplegirl [Register to see the link]
    but they really do come off as if they are better than anyone else they don't know.

    And I thought how rude it was. To ignore someone like that
    I know they come off that way but really, they are just shy.

    I used to be horrendously shy and lots of people thought I was stuck up. I was just scared to talk to people.

    Add in a bit of social awkwardness/ineptness and the fact that they may clam up, and they are going to seem like they are better than anyone else.

    Shyness really cripples you, I have to tell you. You feel like you want to reach out but you just CAN'T. You really don't mean to come off poorly but you just do, sometimes without realizing it.

    And Mr. Franklin is right..maybe he's not shy...maybe he's just uninterested. It can be either. But I can tell you I've been shy and been with shy people and the scenario you have described is very believable for a shy person.

  8. #8
    vertigoxo
    Platinum Member vertigoxo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    USA
    Age
    25
    Posts
    4,365
    Gender
    Female
    Thanked
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by simplegirl [Register to see the link]
    But in class he always looks at me.
    Explain this part for all of us.

  9. #9
    simplegirl
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by Fudgie [Register to see the link]
    I know they come off that way but really, they are just shy.

    I used to be horrendously shy and lots of people thought I was stuck up. I was just scared to talk to people.

    Add in a bit of social awkwardness/ineptness and the fact that they may clam up, and they are going to seem like they are better than anyone else.

    Shyness really cripples you, I have to tell you. You feel like you want to reach out but you just CAN'T. You really don't mean to come off poorly but you just do, sometimes without realizing it.

    And Mr. Franklin is right..maybe he's not shy...maybe he's just uninterested. It can be either. But I can tell you I've been shy and been with shy people and the scenario you have described is very believable for a shy person.
    Oh I see. Its really unfortunate because I actually would want to be friends with him. Its not like I wanted to date him
    I find him to be really intriguing and judging so far, he's really intelligent
    i honestly don't know how else i could reach out to him after ignoring me like that on facebook

    i want to just come out with it 'hi why do you act so stuck-up'
    i just don't think it's really nice...

  10. #10
    Fudgie
    Forum Supporter
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    14,200
    Thanked
    1416
    Quote Originally Posted by simplegirl [Register to see the link]
    Oh I see. Its really unfortunate because I actually would want to be friends with him. Its not like I wanted to date him
    I find him to be really intriguing and judging so far, he's really intelligent
    i honestly don't know how else i could reach out to him after ignoring me like that on facebook

    i want to just come out with it 'hi why do you act so stuck-up'
    i just don't think it's really nice...
    You're right...it's not. It still stinks for you.
    But I think it helps to know that if the person is a shy one, that they may not mean to come off that way. It just happens. Their intentions may not be bad.

  11.  

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Top Threads
Why Does Intimacy Spell "The End?"
Hi There, I'm a first-time poster, and am so glad for a place where I can share a situation that's puzzling me! Briefly, I'm a 57-year-old man
How Could I Develop Some Habits that Would Help Planning Romantic Dates
Dear Strangers on the Internet, I date rarely. But when I date, I find the responsibility of planning the date to be a very stressful thing. This
Wait for him to make the first move or should I ask him out?
I recently went to prom with my crush and had a great time, and I'm pretty sure he did as well. We're both very shy (obviously based on the forum

Featured Threads
Controlling or very opinionated?
Hi, my name is Michael. I came here for some advice on my girlfriend and I's relationship. I am 17 and she is 16 and we've been dating for just shy
Women who prefer/only date younger men
I am dating a woman who is 9 years older than me. However, going after younger guys doesn't appear to be her pattern. In fact, the age difference
Still feels like the first day...
Long long story short.. I'll Coles notes it. I meet the love of my life at a gig I was playing, we ended up not spending a single night apart for
My partner and I have different goals, values, and thinking, should we continue?
My partner and I met a couple years ago when she moved to the city I lived in. We had shared a group of friends but never really knew each other
I'm hurt and not sure what to do ...
So ,this is my first time posting here ,but My mother always said it helps to write things down .So here it goes ! ^^ For a couple of weeks now
Who Am I and What do I Want?
Hi everyone, and thanks for reading this. At the moment I feel like I am having some sort of identity crisis, whilst not knowing what I want for
Is it wrong that I still talk to my ex boyfriend?
My ex boyfriend dumped me last week because he was pressuring me to have sex and I wasn't ready to have sex and he keeps calling and texting me every
Ask For Advice

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •