The ultimate formula for age appropriate dating

bmoretimo

Not even just on this forum but also in my day to day life I have heard people asking if it is weird that they are dating someone drastically older/younger than themselves. My friends and I came up with a formula to act as a guide. Obviously, there is no accounting for love and there are exceptions to every rule but this helps those I talk to.

The Standard Creepiness Factor

(Age/2)+7=Youngest person you can date without being a creeper.

For example: I just turned 30 so half my age is 15. Add 7 and you come to 22. I should really be looking for someone 22 or older.

If I was 40 half my age is 20, add 7 and the youngest person I can date without being a creeper is 27.

Again, this is not the "end all, be all" formula. Someone could look/act/feel/etc. either younger or older than they actually are so there are definate gray areas. Just remember that if you love someone and they love you back you have something special. Don't get too hung up on details, remember that age is just a number.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for sharing.

As you said, it's not the "Be all end all" of formulas. I would never suggest this formula as a way to find out if you would be compatible with someone but the formula IS good for determining what age is "appropriate" for you in terms of societal acceptance....if it matters to you. But that societal acceptance in itself will NOT determine if someone should be with you or not...provided that both parties are 18+.

Now, just for fun let's do my boyfriend. He's 58.

58/2 = 29...29+7 = 36.

I'm 20 so...16 years too young. Ah well.

It's all about the individual people, of course, within the boundaries of the law (no dating anyone who is NOT of age for consent). I guess my boyfriend and myself fit into the rule though, since I'm 22 and he's 30. We never think about the age gap.

It's probably a good guideline for most people because the formula allows for more leniency as a person ages. I still wouldn't let it determine whether or not I dated someone. While social acceptance is nice, I would never let it stand in the way of my happiness. I've struck gold and I intend to hold onto it.

I would say that this formula eliminates 90% of the rational (and real) concerns that we who are in age-gap relationships have to consider. Sex, children, health, societal acceptance, etc.

Not that we can't succeed at overcoming these challenges but I would presume a great deal more compromise would be involved... especially on the part of the younger party.

Agreed. I'm the younger partner in a 38 year age gap. I think on my end there are more obstacles than on his. I have to worry about acceptance, the future, etc. Not to say that he doesn't worry but some issues just affect me more because I'm the younger partner.

And I applaud you, just as I do my gf, for being willing to make those sacrifices.

I will add this... in consideration of her disadvantage, I am extremely motivated to give my very best at all times in hopes of bringing a just exchange of generosity to our relationship.

Archived