birth control alone?

-Sanguine-

I don't know why, maybe I'm being paranoid, but I'm worried I might be pregnant.

When we started having sex, he would use a condom and I would use birth control. But probably about a month or two ago, he stopped using a condom. They have never been comfortable for him and honestly, it was kind of nice for me too without. So we've been doing it that way recently.

Is it a bad idea? Is my birth contol effective enough? I've never missed a day so far.

I'd feel better if he would wear a condom, but I knowhe would enjoy it less.

I'm supposed to get my period in about three days. I'm not even sure what makes me think I might be pregnant - It's more of a paranoia. Well, I've been peeing a lot.. and I have weird stomach cramps today but I've also had a bladder infection recently.. I also think it's cause I know we had a lot of sex last week.. more than usual anyway. So that would up the odds..

I dunno.. what do you think?

You're probably just freaking out because you've been used to using two methods of birth control and now that one of the methods has been removed, you're worried that there is greater chance of BC failure.

If you don't come to trust hormonal birth control alone (maybe it'll have to "prove" itself in a way over the few next ways), it might be worth it to explore another back up method.

What about withdrawal + bcp?

If you're taking the pill properly, haven't been sick, haven't taken antibiotics or anything else that could stop it working then it's unlikely that you are pregnant.

I've just started taking the pill too and have stopped using condoms. This week is my first "break" and I've had no bleeding so far (only day 3 though). I've just spent a couple of hours doing some reading too because I was getting a bit paranoid but apparently for the first month it's normal to not have any bleeding. And there's no need to worry unless I haven't taken it properly (which I have).

The pill is highly effective if taken properly. So it should be OK to take it and not use condoms. But if you'd feel better if you used condoms then you should ask him. Obviously no birth control is 100% effective so it probably is a better idea to "double up" if you want to be extra sure.

I wouldn't worry just yet. See your GP or do a test if you get no bleeding after the 2nd month. But you should be OK just taking the pill and not using condoms (obviously if you're sure you're both clean too though).

Don't worry! I worry too much too. I spent hours reading after I started taking the pill, was sure it wasn't a good idea to stop using condoms. Thought condoms were a much better idea because you can see if they've failed. With the pill you just have to sort of wait and see. But I actually feel less edgy and worried about pregnancy at the moment. We've talked about it and it wouldn't be a big deal if I did become pregnant but it's better if I don't.

But, yeah, don't worry. The pill is almost 100% effective (not completely but to me 99% is very good).

I really wouldn't worry unless you actually miss your period. I used the pill as my only method of bc for 6 years and never once got pregnant, so as long as you take it properly you shouldn't worry too much.

That's good to hear. One set of stomach cramps and I'm sitting here worrying! Haha, maybe I'll calm down a bit. It's only a few days I suppose.

Almost all accidentally pregnancies that occur when a woman is on Birth control are caused by misuse. Take it everyday, the same time everyday, tell your doctor that you are on birth control if he ever tries to prescribe you antibiotics, don't have sex for a while if you have the flu (throwing up and diarrhea will compromise the effectiveness).

You should be A-OK if you follow these simple rules.

Almost all accidentally pregnancies that occur when a woman is on Birth control are caused by misuse. Take it everyday, the same time everyday, tell your doctor that you are on birth control if he ever tries to prescribe you antibiotics, don't have sex for a while if you have the flu (throwing up and diarrhea will compromise the effectiveness).

You should be A-OK if you follow these simple rules.

Good to know. I take it first thing whenever I wake up during the week, I wake up a bit later on the weekends so I hope that's not a problem. Otherwise I haven't missed a day.

Thanks for the input everyone, I feel a bit better.

I think when they say take it at the same time every day, as long as it's within a few hours of when you normally take it it should be OK (if that makes sense).

Taking it the same time is more of a tool to help you remember.

If you take it as soon as you wake up everyday, there is less of a chance of a "did I take my pill?".

As long as they take it within a few hours the same time everyday, it will be just as effective. But, it's easier to remember if you take it like clockwork.

The funny thing is, people trust condoms more than the pill, even though the pill is far more effective if taken regularly. A condom breaking or leaking seems really unlikely, but it's about 20x as likely as hormonal contraception failure.

It's use where contraception usually fails. Not remembering to take the pill, or staying connected too long and letting a condom slip off.

The funny thing is, people trust condoms more than the pill, even though the pill is far more effective if taken regularly. A condom breaking or leaking seems really unlikely, but it's about 20x as likely as hormonal contraception failure.

It's use where contraception usually fails. Not remembering to take the pill, or staying connected too long and letting a condom slip off.

I would definitely not feel safe or comfortable having sex with JUST a condom. We have never done that before.

Oh gosh, I would never use JUST a condom. condom reliability depends on so many factors...how you put it on, it can't break, etc.

With the pill, if you take it RELIGIOUSLY (and I mean religiously) as well as taking it the same time every day and never forget, then you'll be fine with just that. Provided that you're both monogamous and STD free, then you should be fine.

I use just the Pill but I am mostly infertile to begin with (rarely ovulate) so I would probably not get pregnant anyway (and if I did, I'd likely miscarry) but I still feel that it's fine for normal woman to just use the pill as long as they are smart about it.

The reason why people say "OMG DON'T TRUST THE PILL" is because they are stories out there about women who took it "everyday" (I doubt this) and then got pregnant. It's easier to blame it on the pill than to say that you screwed up, forgot to take it, and then got pregnant. I don't believe most of these stories.

I relied solely on the pill for many years with my partner, but I was reaaally anal about taking it on time, and would be extra precautions with things like vomitting, diareah, antibiotics and would either choose to abstain from sex, or have him wear a condom when there's a slight chance the pill may be ineffective. But that was rare, and we used just the pill for a good three years or so..and didn't have any pregnancy scares.

Now we are just relying on condoms [and have been for several years], and we are both fine with that, and are at a point in our relationship and lives where if there was something to happen, we'd be fine, happy and looking forward to it.

I think it's a good policy to always ask your doctor (or someone close to you that is a doctor) if a medication will interfere with your BC control. It's best to ask when you start a new one just to be sure. If anything, it will give you a sense of peace.

Also, if I remember correctly, I asked the doctor if the medication would interfere with my birth control and they said no.

I always took extra precautions regarldess.

I had one doctor who would always ask if I was on the pill when prescribing antibtiocs..and then once I went to a walk in clinic for a UTI and asked if it would interfere and he looked at me and said very sternly "Of course. You have no idea what will interfere with your body and the pill.." etc and gave me this big lecture and was so sure of himself that all antibitioics had potential to interfere. I never risked it.

Archived