Ask For Advice

Thread: Tanning Safety?

owl27
    Bronze Member

Tanning Safety?

Hi all--
    Recently I heard that tanning beds are as risky as cigarettes. I know tanning in general can increase your chance of skin cancer. However, I am wondering about this comparison to smoking.
    For instance, if I were to go to the beach once or twice a month and wear a lot of sunscreen, just how dangerous is that? vs. smoking how many cigarettes? And how does tanning outside with sunscreen compare to using a tanning bed? If I were to go to the tanning bed 1-2 times a week for 2 months a year, how dangerous is that?
    Any advice you can give would be great. I am very safety conscious. I am a light skinned woman (non-smoker) who gets the best results from occasional tanning bed use. I don't tan on a regular basis but I feel better with a "glow." I find it very relaxing, as well. I'd hate to completely give it up so I would like to get a true idea of the risks.
    I've tried the self-tanners and they have never worked for me. I tried the mystic tan in the salon. Very expensive, very unappealing results. The lotions from the store don't work well, either. I am highly sensitive and I have yet to find an unscented self-tanner. No matter how much I exfoliate, I always end up splotchy and the color is not flattering.

Chocolatefrogs
    Tanning beds are worse than going in the sun, especially for light skinned people. It's something to do with the type of UV waves, which scientists originally thought were ok but have now realised are even worse.

If you are light skinned, its best to avoid tanning (sorry, annoying truth I know, I'm light skinned myself!)

Personally I find that what looks realistic is a moisturiser with a little bit of tanning agent in it. You won't notice a difference with one coat, but if used regularly it will build up to a colour that isn't orange, isn't blotchy and looks like a realistic tan.

dramallama
    What's so attractive about a tan, though? You should aim to preserve your natural skin tone, whatever it is, through wearing sunscreen every day and avoiding getting sunburnt (tanned) where possible. There's no real way to tan safely, because a tan is the result of damaged skin. Also, IMO, if you are born fair-skinned, a tan kinda looks weird on you because it doesn't look natural.

arwen
    I am light skinned too (reddish blond hair, green eyes, freckles)... in the past I was very fond of getting a tan in a tanning bed. But when I read about the risks, I quit doing that. I started to use high protection lotions/sprays in the summer (at least SPF 20, preferably higher). And you know what? Instead of getting sunburnt I get a nice healthy glow! So: stay away from fake sun, and protect yourself for the real thing. Also don't sunbathe... Just exercise outside. You'll look healthy from living a healthy lifestyle, not from fake sun

owl27
    Bronze Member
    Thanks for the info. I agree with what everyone says overall. I'm glad that more people appreciate lighter skin these days. However, my main issue is the veins on my legs. They're bad--really bad. Insurance won't cover the removal and I can't afford the treatments. So I wear pants. When I get a slight tan (outside or tanning bed) I feel 80% more confident, especially when wearing shorts or skirts or a bathing suit. Luckily I am past the point of trying to impress others but I also know looking good can mean feeling good, too. I REALLY wish I could use those lotions but my allergies to scents is just too much. I get migraines. Maybe one day they will invent an unscented tanning lotion/self tanner.

Top Threads
Related to IUD or something else
Yesterday I awoke to a sharp pain, I believe in my ovary. Today it's more dull than sharp, but my period started about 4 days ago, so I'm not
Need peace
This is more spiritual than anything else right now. So many things going on in my life, things just haven't gone how I'd have liked them to go over
Should I be concerned about my very dark/ deviant stories?
Hi there. Backstory: I [22M] believe this in some way is a catalyst; I lost my Mom what is now a year ago. Don't have any real memories of March
Too many things piling up at once.... I feel like I'm spiraling down.
I started my first semester at college in September. Making friends has been incredibly hard, but I managed to make an incredibly close friend who I

valendtine's  day counseling
Featured Threads
How should I proceed?
I have financially supported my wife for the first 10 years of our marriage. I paid for everything (including her student loan from college) while
Was it rape if it wasn't violent?
Okay, I've never posted this on a forum or anywhere before so it's a little uncomfortable for me but bear with me. I met a guy two years ago that
Not sure what to make of this
So my boyfriend, 28, and I (26) have been together a year and a half now. My boyfriend, "Brett", used to be a member of this site called 'Suicide
Was He Cheating?
I need some advice. I have been with my bf for 2.5 years. I recently went through his phone which I never do but I had a bad feeling. He's been
My mother is snooping into my relationship
I know I posted about how my boyfriend came out as a bisexual after three years of dating right before he wanted to propose. And if some of you don't
hello new here and have a very unique situation
I just want to say HI and share a situation that I need help with desperately. So I will start off. I am a 37 yr old male, healthy and fit. I own
Do I leave my secure relationship for my soulmate?
So I've been with my fiancÚ for about 6 years and engaged half that. I've also been friends with a coworker of his for those 6 years. Only about a
Ask For Advice