Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What does it mean when an ex contacts you out of the blue?

Traveler27
    Gold Member

What does it mean when an ex contacts you out of the blue?

Just as the title asks: what do you think are some of the possible reasons why an ex-boyfriend/girlfriend suddenly contacts you after a prolonged period of no contact after a break-up?

My ex-boyfriend just sent me a random text message out of nowhere last night and I have ignored it, but obviously it is bothering me. Why do they do it? Is it manipulation? What motivates them to reach out after so much time has passed? I am tempted to reply, but he hurt me quite badly and I think he must just be bored or lonely. What are others thoughts on this topic?

ElleB
    Ha, if we knew that we'd not be on this forum.
    What did the text say? How long has it been since you heard from him, and since your break up?

I have yet to have my ex "reach out" as it were, but I would imagine feeling both elated and bloody pissed off. Hard to know what their intentions are... friendship, guilt alleviation, reconciliation, boredom, loneliness... who knows!

pumpkinmoon
    Platinum Member
    What did the message say?

BriarRose
    Usually because someone just dumped them.

Traveler27
    Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ElleB [Register to see the link]
    Ha, if we knew that we'd not be on this forum.
    What did the text say? How long has it been since you heard from him, and since your break up?

I have yet to have my ex "reach out" as it were, but I would imagine feeling both elated and bloody pissed off. Hard to know what their intentions are... friendship, guilt alleviation, reconciliation, boredom, loneliness... who knows!
    Precisely. I do feel elated and pissed off both at once -- mostly pissed off though. It feels like an annoyance more than anything. It's been about 4 1/2 months since break-up and there has been no contact since then, however, it was only a 2 month relationship that moved very quickly and got quite intense emotionally and physically speaking. I deleted his number shortly after break-up, but obviously he kept mine. This is screwing with my head now.

Traveler27
    Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Misskitty16 [Register to see the link]
    Usually because someone just dumped them.
    This makes sense as well....

Traveler27
    Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by theshoefairy [Register to see the link]
    What did the message say?
    It said: "Hey hope you are ok? Sorry x"

And he added a sad face as well manipulation?

Cheetarah
    Forum Supporter
    Sadly, it is usually because they were just dumped. I've got an ex that does this everytime he's single. E-mails about how we had this special 'connection' and a lot of other phony sentimental crap. Sometimes I read, sometimes I delete. I never respond. I never felt elated more like..."Ugh...you again?"

And I have to admit, I have done it for that very reason. Newly single, vulnerable, just plain old reaching for something familiar.

pumpkinmoon
    Platinum Member
    It's hard to tell what he is feeling or what he wants from you. Possibly loneliness, looking for someone to talk to, guilt, trying to open communication again for some reason.

How do you feel? Are you over it? Do you want him back?

Why did you break up?

ElleB
    Haha, "ugh, you again" ... bout right!

People think of and use others as safety nets and it's so not cool. I'm really trying not to do that now because of how it feels.

Exes can be such eejuts can't they?

What time was the text sent..? Might he have been drunk? I honestly think if they want reconciliation they oughtta put more effort in .... Other than that it's like, a fly buzzing around, annoying.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Top Threads
Ex Unexpectedly Texted For Bday..Then Got Attitude
Hi All, My ex broke up with me about 7 months ago. I desperately tried to work things out with no success. Afterwards I strongly wished to
Recently Found Out My Most Long Term Ex is Dating Someone Else
Hello everyone, I recently found out that my most long term ex who I dated for a year and a half is dating someone else. We ended 4 years ago but
Embarrassed of posting and ashamed
I dont know if I can do this anymore. Afraid of it all. Broke no contact and replied to text regarding a something very important that needed to be
your ex does think about you
I've been on both sides of the equation. Right now, I'm on the bad side, the person that was broken up with. But I know that he thinks of me. We
Stuck on hurt after cheating ex
Hi My relationship of 18 months came to an end In May. I was deeply in love and I thought he was too, until the last few months when he started
Missing my ex... whats wrong!?
hey guys, i want your thoughts about my current situation.. I was in a long distance relationship with a nice guy i met on a online game.. we were
6 days after break up still struggling
Hi guys My gf broke up with me 6 days ago. we were together 3 years and the first year and a half we lived in the same town and then she moved to

Expert Advice
Featured Threads
Tired of Being His Provider??
Okay so I found this site through Google. This seems like a pretty common topic and I suppose I just need to vent. My husband has been unemployed
Beautiful women who works at lush...
So there is this a girl who works at this place. I've been in there twice now and she is a stunner. Its one of those girls who you have to look twice
Being left for another man by my ex girlfriend
My and my ex gf broke up 7 months ago back in late April. We had bad fights and she stated she was unhappy. She then proceeded to have an active
Wondering?
Ok, I posted before about my situation but I would like to further talk. This woman I became involved with 3 years ago TOLD me she had feelings for
Break up Advice Needed
Hi all, I really need some advice on my recent break up with my girlfriend of almost five years. A few months ago I started to feel unhappy and
She's getting ready for marriage. She thinks that it is what I want. My fault.
So, I am pretty much in a difficult situation. I have been with a girl for the past 4 years. In these 4 years, after a while I realized she really
Venting - Advice...?
Hello, Im a 36 year old male, married with 3 kids. My wife and I are pretty much like roommates. There is zero sex life and its from both ends
Ask For Advice