Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: when he says "let's stay in touch"

i'm sandra dee
    Bronze Member

when he says "let's stay in touch"

what does it mean when a man says "let's stay in touch"?
    two men recently said this to me
    is it a brush off?
    why I'd think it's a brush off, I dunno, but that's how it feels when I hear those words
    it's like... we won't be seeing each other for a while.... that's my interpretation
    so lets stay in touch
    am I wrong?

savignon
    I would take it the same way. Friends "keep in touch"....dates date.

Crazyaboutdogs
    "Let's stay in touch" is just one of those phrases people use when they have no set time frame to get together with you. It could be days, weeks, months or never before you hear from someone who says "let's stay in touch". It is just one of those meaningless things people say when they say goodbye after spending some time together. It is just very open-ended.

CatsMeeoow
    We could spend all day analyzing every idiom every stated... context is truly required but I would say if someone stated that to me at the end of a date it would imply...

...thanks... your nice... I enjoyed meeting you... wouldn't be against seeing you again but not really planning on it at this point...

However, if I bumped into an old friend who I hadn't seen in awhile and had a few minutes to catch up it would imply...

... oh, its so great to see you... I have really missed our times together... gee, it would be so nice to do this again if only we both didn't have such hectic schedules...

I would say if you felt like you were being brushed off then follow your instinct. You mostly likely were. Take a step back and see if this person makes an effort to contact you... if not you have your answer!

lavenderdove
    eek... the kiss of death.

If someone wants to stay in touch with you, they'll just do it... pick up the phone, email etc. but if all they do is *say* let's stay in touch, it is often a polite way of brushing you off without social conflict.

so take it seriously if you send an email or call them and they do actually keep in touch. otherwise it's just words.

pinkelephant
    yup, a brush off.

i'm sandra dee
    Bronze Member
    both men who said "let's stay in touch" seem to want a second date

personally I can't stand the use of "let's stay in touch"
    but perhaps I'm over-analyzing what it means
    time will tell what it means to each of them

pinkrobot
    If it's not a brush off and they want a second date, I'd read it as more of an indication they don't want anything serious. "Let's stay in touch" sounds to me like, "I'll get in touch with you if I'm bored and don't have anything else (or any other women) to attend to."

BriarRose
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkrobot [Register to see the link]
    If it's not a brush off and they want a second date, I'd read it as more of an indication they don't want anything serious. "Let's stay in touch" sounds to me like, "I'll get in touch with you if I'm bored and don't have anything else (or any other women) to attend to."

I agree with this. Probably wouldn't say it if it was someone he felt no attraction for or def didn't want to see again.

wheatgrass82
    agree... this is too polite and proper to signify it holds any depth or intention. My advice is to expect nothing. Ideally.. ALWAYS expect nothing no matter what. have low hopes and you will not be disappointed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Top Threads
Million Dollar Question: Why it's so hard to find 1 person we want to commit to?
Someone who we connect with on a physical and emotional level? I realize I'm preaching to the choir here, but I'm seriously baffled. There are
Unhealthy relationship patterns and commitment phobia.
Some of you have probably seen a thread I wrote a couple of days ago about commitment phobes/emotionally unavailable people. I wanted to get to the
What should I do?
Been with him for 2 years, we are both 21. He started working 2 months ago and has a stressful job. Texting has reduced drastically and now he goes a
Girlfriend wants to go to the gym without me, I need advice
So me and this girl have been dating now for a few months. She all of a sudden has an interest in the gym which is fine because I love the gym. I've
Online Dating Descripton Sets Off Red Flags For Me, But Maybe Not for Others?
I have someone who has been giving me attention with Online Dating (yes, I thought I'd give it a gentle go. Dip my toe in the water even though I was
What can I do to look younger?
I'm 23 years old, 230lbs and 6'3. People often seem to think that I'm 30 years old but it doesn't make sense to me. I don't have five o ' clock
How to recover from being insecure
Hi all. I'd really appreciate any input and suggestions you have. About six seeks ago I started dating a woman and we hit it off great. Lots in

Expert Advice
Featured Threads
Don Juan President
I'm the president of Don Juans. I know all the top moves to make with females and I've had sex so many times. If a man needs advice ask right here.
Talk Dirty to Me!
OMGosh this is rampant. I have been serial dating in hopes of finding a long term relationship. BTW, nn the past two weeks I have been doing really
Is it wrong that I don't drive my parent's car to drive myself places as of now?
I am 20 and I have my driver's license but I don't have my own car yet so I have to rely on my parents and the bus to get me places but my parents
Friendship changes, how to deal?
Hello All, My friend and I are close. We consider our friendship like a brother & sister type. Lately, I've been noticing he has been treating me
Online Dating Descripton Sets Off Red Flags For Me, But Maybe Not for Others?
I have someone who has been giving me attention with Online Dating (yes, I thought I'd give it a gentle go. Dip my toe in the water even though I was
Help
Hi, I'm 37 and I have been with my partner for about 5 years and we have been married just under a year. About 5 months ago my now wife had an
Did you ever get over your first love? Post your stories!
Hello, I've been feeling kind of down lately because I always hear people saying that you never get over your first love, or you'll always compare
Ask For Advice