Open Club  ·  31 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

Pros and cons of living in New York City

LilyXX

This.

But it's amazing, you gotta be kinda rich to live there.

If you had to be rich to live there, then the population would not be nearly what it is. It's a center of immigration. There are plenty of cheap ways to do things. Unless, of course, one is dead set on living in $$$Manhattan$$$.

Another pro is you don't need a car if you live here, so it's great if you don't drive. There is 24-hour public transportation.

Cons: Noisy (earplugs are your friends); also there is litter and junk everywhere.

I agree with previous posters that the density and diversity of things to do and types of places you can shop and eat is amazing. Even if you hate everything except for like 2 uncommon things, you'll be able to find them and do them in New York City. (One of my biggest peeves about other cities is when I have only one day to spend there on my vacation, and it turns out to be "let's close every store and restaurant at 5:30 pm" day.)

Also, unlike every other so-called "big city" I've been to except maybe Beijing and Shanghai, New York is open every day of the week, including Sunday, and we don't have mid-day siestas when everything's closed.

pros - culture abound, diversity of people, food choices, conveniences (if u live near subways/job), nightlife is amazing, beaches not far away in summer, central park, brooklyn,

cons - expensive but roomies can make it easier, can be overwhelming if you aren't used to crowds of people/noise, subways hot as hell in the summer, real estate buying is really hard in manhattan (see expensive above)

i highly recommend it at least once in your life if you can get a decent paying job.

If you had to be rich to live there, then the population would not be nearly what it is. It's a center of immigration. There are plenty of cheap ways to do things. Unless, of course, one is dead set on living in $$$Manhattan$$$.

True, but you got to have money to live in the nice parts; is what I mean.

If you're used to surburban living than New York City will be a hell of an environment change for you. It's beautiful up there but it's also noisy, congested with traffic, people and expensive to live there. If you haven't already, spend a week up there if you can and get the experience. By the end of the week you should know if you can deal with that or not.

Pro: Shopping and dining are the only two things that would make me want to live there, plus Fashion week Otherwise it's a city full of culture, and diversity. and potential to succeed if you can get your foot within the right door. But Many cities are like that just not as recognizable as NYC due to population. The hub of culture. New York is where it happens. To live in New York City is to experience entertainment like you've never experienced it before. New York is far ahead of the schedule when it comes to the latest movies, music, or theater productions.

Con: Really dirty in some places, Noisy, horrific traffic, unless you enjoy a descent job, and work legitimate at your job, you can't afford an apartment in Manhattan. Problematic Pollution. Wherever millions of people live in close proximity, there will be a problem with pollution. Expect to face a bit more smog and a bit less fresh air than you're used to. Major rat problems, euw.

Archived