Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "I rather hurt than feel nothing at all" How true is it?

Gold Member

"I rather hurt than feel nothing at all" How true is it?

I've been listening to the song "I need you now" by Lady Anthabelum or whatever their name is, and a line they sing got me thinking, do you really rather hurt than feel nothing at all?

I guess youll appreciate nothing more if youve been hurt.

Gold Member
    but is it really worth it? is it really worth going through all of this pain just for this?

I was recently on medication for bipolar. It made me completely numb, I felt dead, I had no emotional reaction to anything. I remember just thinking "I'd rather feel anything than this, even pain". So, yes, it's true. I'd rather feel anything than nothing, at least that way you know you're alive.

Originally Posted by Blackey
    but is it really worth it? is it really worth going through all of this pain just for this?
    You I guess I would prefer to not feel the pain... but I cant change whats already happened

Gold Member
    BrokenBones, we are not talking about your case, we are talking here about specific feelings and symptoms that come as a result of broken heart, this is what we are talking about, do you rather feel this pain than feel nothing at all?

First of all I love that song and I agree with the song. The pain you feel because of love is deep but I would rather go through the pain than to never have felt anything at all. I think love is definititely worth it.

When I feel pain I know I'm alive. When I feel nothing life loses several dimensions and it's difficult to connect with people. Pain is preferable to me.

Better to have loved and lost, than never loved at all I think is what it's all about.

- Matt

PS. Good tune, but me and my friends jokingly call it 'the drunk dialer song' lol!

Platinum Member
    When I felt the pain of a broken heart, I wanted nothing more than to, well....feel nothing at all.

I spent nearly 2 years grieving a break-up. Sometimes, I feel like it was all in vain because the pain of a broken heart has a nice way of clouding everything. But then other times, I think about the (very difficult) lessons learned, and how to apply what I've learned to other interpersonal relationships. And then I think yes, yes, this was worth it. I was described as, and a self-proclaimed, cold-hearted person. That relationship broke me down and taught me a thing or 500 about emotions, sensitivity and empathy.

So in the moment, it never feels worth it. Only once you peek your head out of the clouds.

Yep, I'd rather feel pain than nothing at all - Numbness disconnects you from yourself, from people, from society. Not a very fulfilling way to live your life. I'd never exchange that time with him in order to feel nothing. I opened up my heart, yes I got burned - But I'll never forget how good it felt, how liberating it was for me, and how much I loved to simply love - Instead of being the narcissistic and selfish person I was, the sense of entitlement I had. It was worth it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice