"I rather hurt than feel nothing at all" How true is it?

I was recently on medication for bipolar. It made me completely numb, I felt dead, I had no emotional reaction to anything. I remember just thinking "I'd rather feel anything than this, even pain". So, yes, it's true. I'd rather feel anything than nothing, at least that way you know you're alive.

BrokenBones, we are not talking about your case, we are talking here about specific feelings and symptoms that come as a result of broken heart, this is what we are talking about, do you rather feel this pain than feel nothing at all?

When I felt the pain of a broken heart, I wanted nothing more than to, well....feel nothing at all.

I spent nearly 2 years grieving a break-up. Sometimes, I feel like it was all in vain because the pain of a broken heart has a nice way of clouding everything. But then other times, I think about the (very difficult) lessons learned, and how to apply what I've learned to other interpersonal relationships. And then I think yes, yes, this was worth it. I was described as, and a self-proclaimed, cold-hearted person. That relationship broke me down and taught me a thing or 500 about emotions, sensitivity and empathy.

So in the moment, it never feels worth it. Only once you peek your head out of the clouds.

Yep, I'd rather feel pain than nothing at all - Numbness disconnects you from yourself, from people, from society. Not a very fulfilling way to live your life. I'd never exchange that time with him in order to feel nothing. I opened up my heart, yes I got burned - But I'll never forget how good it felt, how liberating it was for me, and how much I loved to simply love - Instead of being the narcissistic and selfish person I was, the sense of entitlement I had. It was worth it.

I will have to think about that one. I'm 50/50. I know in the end, feeling the pain is worth it because you feel alive and you know that you will feel the opposite, being happy, again someday. Although, when I go to bed alone at night and wake up by myself, I think I'd rather not feel that pain.

Its only been about a month- In time I will feel better and it will all be worth it!

BrokenBones, we are not talking about your case, we are talking here about specific feelings and symptoms that come as a result of broken heart, this is what we are talking about, do you rather feel this pain than feel nothing at all?

that was rather rude. if you ever actually experienced bipolar symptoms you'd know it can feel exactly the same as a broken heart for an extended period of time.

i personally think feeling pain and feeling nothing at all feel about the same.

Archived