My Cat is Becoming so Needy!

BellaDonna

My cat is about 7 years old. For the past few months, she has been so much more needy than usual.

She has always been a really sweet cat who is very lovable and affectionate. She was always independent though, but recently that has changed.

Lately she is almost driving me a little bit crazy because she is always following me around meowing now and wants to be in physical contact with me any chance she gets. She was even trying to go in the shower today while I was in there. ](*,) She is constantly under my feet now and manages to get in the way when I am carrying laundry, etc. If I open a cupboard door, she jumps in it. Very "in your face".

I should mention that she is in excellent health and I keep her indoors. She is very good with my son. They play together. I've noticed that she gets more needy with me when he is not around. Is she bored when he isn't there or something? She does the same thing to the babysitters.

I feel guilty being annoyed by her because she was my first baby, but I need space too. lol She never used to try to wake me up at night or early in the morning, so why is she doing it now, when I need sleep the MOST?

I wonder if it is simply due ot her aging. Almost all of my cats got more friendly as they got older but she is quite obnoxious about it. lol

Mine is 11 years old, and just as I was reading your post she jumped into my lap. It's unbearable at times. But I coddle her as much as possible. Sometimes when I am just too tired, I close her out of the room. Then I feel guilty.

She's pretty much been needy from day one, but maybe because she was abandoned at a shelter when she was a kitten. But it does get worse as the years go by.

just as I was reading your post she jumped into my lap. It's unbearable at times

LOL- my cat is constantly invading my ENA space. lol

It gets too warm with her AND a laptpop on my lap. I have to push her over to the side, but she still needs to be squished up against me. Poor thing. It's just so annoying.

I think part of the issue is that I also have a little boy that hangs on me all the time. So I just see her as yet another being invading my body space. lol The ideal would be if she just cuddled with my son. Then we'd all be happy.

If it's not a toddler on me, it's a fluff ball. I can never be ALONE.

Having grown up with cats for most of my life, I can say I've been in the same position plenty of times. I don't think it's so much their age, but simply the fact that cats can get attached and pine for the attention of the first person they know will give it to them. When your son isn't around, mommy is the next in line because kitty knows mommy will give her treats or attention.

Is she spayed? By my experience, cats tend to flip out or get antsy when in heat...maybe that's something to consider? I have never had a cat that wasn't weaving in and out of my feet while I'm walking or wasn't biting at my feet in the middle of the night, though, so I think it's safe to say your cat is totally normal

If it's that bothersome, maybe try a spray bottle, or locking yourself in another room where the cat can't get at you? Although sometimes they tend to be annoying by clawing under the door when you do that...

She's spayed. Cats in heat are so annoying, I'd never be able to stand it. She went into heat once when I was waiting for her spaying appointment, and all she did was cry and roll around on my rugs with her ass up, like a weirdo.

I would feel really mean spraying her with a bottle, for just wanting love. I feel bad for her. Every where I go, there she is. I am NOT that interesting that I need to be followed. She must be so bored.

She did have an exciting week last month when she helped catch a mouse that got into the house. It was nice. I didn't see her for a while because she was too busy stalking prey. She acted like a nocturnal predator again instead of a lovebug.

Maybe I need to get her the PetSitter videos.

I think I am going to have to lock her out on some nights because not only does she meow in my face, but now she leaves and returns to the bedroom several times overnight instead of just staying there- and each time she comes back she feels the need to meow.

It's too bad that she hates other cats so much and wants to murder them, because I would get her a friend.

Oh my cat is a klingon too. Best thing I ever did was get her used to sleeping in the garage.

She used to sleep with me all the time, and it got to be a little silly, like she thought we were dating.

Do you have a garage or somewhere she could safely be at night besides the house? She might just be bored, yeah.

I would feel terrible with a spray bottle too, I've just heard about others that use it. I don't feel it's inhumane, but I totally hear you on feeling bad about it.

One thing that keeps my parents' cats entertained are lasers. They have ones that fit on their collars and they'll sit there chasing the darn thing forever, or they have these little laser teepees that project a laser onto the floor and it spins in circles, which will keep the cat occupied. But cats love lasers, at least by my experience. Maybe that'll keep her occupied?

If anything I would probably have her sleep in the basement, which is re-finished. There is sofa and carpet down there with heat, etc.

I can't have her meowing and scratching from being locked out/in the basement though. If she wakes up my son in the middle of the night with the noise, I will not be happy. That will be worse than her clinging on me at night.

My problem is that my cats aren't clingy enough. I constantly have to force them to endure a hug or kiss.

I could never make my cats sleep in the garage or a locked room. They're my babies. I'd rather just enjoy the clinginess. I think I love cats too much.

One thing that keeps my parents' cats entertained are lasers. They have ones that fit on their collars and they'll sit there chasing the darn thing forever, or they have these little laser teepees that project a laser onto the floor and it spins in circles, which will keep the cat occupied. But cats love lasers, at least by my experience. Maybe that'll keep her occupied?

LOL. She loves those!!! She has a few of them. The problem is that she wants to play with lasers non-stop. She is WORSE THAN EVER with following me when she knows there are lasers around. She will meow and start looking at the ceiling in hopes of me taking out the laser so she can chase it. Any time I grab my keys, or a pen, or anything remotely similar in size/shape to her laser she gets activated and is on high alert, ready to chase.

I had to hide the lasers so that she would calm down and stop crying for them.

Maybe the solution is to get some new toys with catnip, maybe one of those cat play houses too, and keep them in the basement and have her stay down there at night.

My girl kitty (9 years old this month) is a total cuddlebug and she has been that way all her life. Her brother is also very affectionate--towards me only though, a total hellion to nearly anyone else--and usually one or the both of them are near me if not on me at all times. One favorite thing of theirs to do is sit on my hands whilst I'm typing or using my computer mouse so that I pay attention to them instead of my work! I'll admit I am completely owned by them and I don't think I could have it any other way.

I raised them from the time they were 10 weeks old--they have always slept with me, even the first night they were home, and we share the couch when I'm watching TV or reading. Nice to have the "family" all in one little place.

It's endearing but I can see how it may be annoying if you have things to do and the cat's in the way. Perhaps to her you are another cat? Or the alpha cat? I think my cats might think of me that way.

maybe get her some new toys she can play with. some very interactive toys!

that is sweet. i wish i had a little cat now. my last cat was quite independent. he NEVER wanted to sit on my lap, or anyone else's lap. unless I was crying and upset. then he would force his way onto my lap and purr. like he wanted to make me feel better. sweet boy.

My problem is that my cats aren't clingy enough. I constantly have to force them to endure a hug or kiss.

I could never make my cats sleep in the garage or a locked room. They're my babies. I'd rather just enjoy the clinginess. I think I love cats too much.

Don't worry. She isn't suffering in my garage. She has lots of interaction and can come and go as she pleases. It's been good for her.

Some cats are more independent than others.

Oh- now I have to give my cat a hug and not lock her out. I'm feeling so guilty!!!!! lol

She is a sweetie. Always has been. I just noticed a real difference in the neediness aspect in the last few months. She was always a lap cat but but she is all over me- and also anyone that comes to babysit- morning, noon, and night!

It probably doesn't help that the weather is getting warmer. In the winter I welcome her fur- now she is overheating me.

Don't worry. She isn't suffering in my garage. She has lots of interaction and can come and go as she pleases. It's been good for her.

Some cats are more independent than others.

Well, I'm sure you have a nice, comfortable environment for her! If she's independent, I'm sure she loves it. My cats would too since they're also independent. I just couldn't do it. I'd feel so bad. Plus, I like clinginess in cats. They just won't sit on my lap or follow me around enough for my tastes. I wonder if when they grow older I will be complaining then when they're too clingy.

Well, I'm sure you have a nice, comfortable environment for her! If she's independent, I'm sure she loves it. My cats would too since they're also independent. I just couldn't do it. I'd feel so bad. Plus, I like clinginess in cats. They just won't sit on my lap or follow me around enough for my tastes. I wonder if when they grow older I will be complaining then when they're too clingy.

Well I wonder how tough it would be to be a mother to children. Bc even with my fur child, my girl, I feel guilt no matter what I do. I felt guilty when she was inside all the time. Now I feel guilty that she ISN'T inside all the time. It's ridiculous.

Several months ago we bought expensive new LEATHER furniture for our living room. I knew the cat would ruin this if she ever jumped on it, so I made a special effort to give her something very nice at the same time.

I bought her this dog bed.

link removed

Since cats need that wall around them, I put her regular cat bed on top of it. And she has NEVER been seen on the furniture. I was amazed at how she seemed to understand how much this means that she stays off. A few times she has stood on her back feet as if begging for me to say OK. But when I shake my head and tell her no, she just goes to her bed. It's pretty cool. And she doesn't seem to get on my lap as much either, come to think of it.

Archived