he didn't wish me happy birthday

my ex bf broke up with me just over 3 months ago..started dating this new girl like a week later... today's my birthday and i haven't gotten any bday wishes from him.

the weird thing is he was the one who insisted we be friends, yet has made zero attempt to be my friend. today would have been the perfect opportunity just to say hi and wish me well.. but no, nothing.

why are some guys such jerks?? i didn't even do anything wrong in the relationship (no lies, cheating...) we just were incompatible/at different stages in our lives.

i feel so sad and disappointed he couldn't even take the time to wish me a happy day.

i guess he is showing his true colours though... he's really not as thoughtful as i thought he was, even as an ex.

my ex bf broke up with me just over 3 months ago..started dating this new girl like a week later... today's my birthday and i haven't gotten any bday wishes from him.

the weird thing is he was the one who insisted we be friends, yet has made zero attempt to be my friend. today would have been the perfect opportunity just to say hi and wish me well.. but no, nothing.

why are some guys such jerks?? i didn't even do anything wrong in the relationship (no lies, cheating...) we just were incompatible/at different stages in our lives.

i feel so sad and disappointed he couldn't even take the time to wish me a happy day.

i guess he is showing his true colours though... he's really not as thoughtful as i thought he was, even as an ex.

He is your ex for a reason! He has no obligations towards you and you know that. A lot of time guys say they want to remain friends because they don't want to deal with the drama an ex-girlfriend can create for them. Me and you have talked about this before, he clearly has no feelings for you so therefore you should expect nothing from him. There is a reason NC exists.

I know... bdays are supposed to be happy occassions...

But, he isn't obligated to you... I'm sure he thought of you but if he is seeing someone else it would be wrong of him to contact you. And, well look at it from his point of view... maybe he is afraid it is wrong... he just ended it with you. You could easily take it the wrong way... perhaps feel if he did reach out it meant more than it did.

There is no easy answer for this problem this close to a break up.

Try your best to have a great day and not fret too much about what he is missing!

HUGS!

Hi Jessie,

From how you describe your ex, it does indeed seem like he's showing his true colours by not at least contacting you on your birthday! I'm sorry to hear about that. Some guys are jerks, that's for sure, it's strange that you mention that he was the one who suggested that the two of you become friends (which can be hard to do after a relationship) then makes no attempt or effort to do so. By doing this, it seems that he isn't the kind of person you would enjoy having as a friend. A simple "happy birthday" to many people understandably means a lot, whether it be a gesture of friendship or anything at all. In this case, I can see why you would be disappointed, I think he should make the effort to at least send you a text. Try not to spend your birthday feeling too let down about it, go and enjoy some quality time with those in your life who thoroughly appreciate you and your friendship

I wish you a happy birthday and many happy returns for the year ahead!

Happy Birthday!

If he had wished you Happy Birthday do you think you would have taken that as just friends or would you have read something else into it?

i definitely would have just taken it as him being thoughtful and friendly. I don't want him back, and so I wouldn't have read into it as anything more than him being nice.

And thank you everyone else for your thoughts!! I am just accepting the fact that he isn't a nice person. Honestly, a simple text or email "happy birthday" would have sufficed. Saying nothing at all is just thoughtless. Whether he has a new gf or not, if we're on "friendly" terms, like he said we were, saying nothing at all is just inconsiderate.

Happy Birthday!

Well, the girl who ended it with me just had a birthday and I decided to send a "happy birthday" text. She hasn't responded nor do I expect her to as she hasn't exactly been friendly to me these last months.. even if she wanted to be "friends".

I think the best thing is to just let it go and try not to harbor the negativity, as it will only hurt you. You know who you are and the person you are, be proud of that and celebrate YOUR day!

I kind of been in that exact same situation except he still tried to contact me and tried to contact him and he wanted to be friends but then we stopped contacting each other and when my b-day rolled around he didnt say anything either and now he has a girlfriend...DONT get worked up about it because if he truly cared or really wanted to be your friend and try and keep that contact with you he would so he doesnt probably care and he really didnt if he just started dating another girl a week later..he seems playerish...

Archived