Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Why do guys ask you out then make up excuses?

  1. #1
    goodkarma_1
    Bronze Member goodkarma_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Sunny Cali!!
    Posts
    331
    Gender
    Female

    Why do guys ask you out then make up excuses?

    ok, so there's this guy that will ask me out every so often (the pattern seems to be like every other week) but then makes up excuses like he got sick or decided to stay home and bbq lol. Its not a total bummer because I'm not head over heels for him, I just want to understand why they arrange for a date then make excuses. I'm sure its because he found something else better to do or someone else that he would rather spend time with. Why even bother to ask a girl out you know? Maybe to see if she would go just to satisfy his ego? I guess I'm just kind of confused and feeling rejected. I was with my ex for years so all this dating and figuring out all these different personalities is new to me.

  2. #2
    savignon
    Platinum Member savignon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    USA
    Age
    40
    Posts
    6,094
    Gender
    Female
    Thanked
    4
    I think the reason anybody keeps doing any behavior is because they can. If you're not interested in a guy who doesn't follow through, then say "no thanks" next time he asks you out. If you keep saying yes, he knows you'll be around if and when he decides he'd like to see you.

  3. #3
    jettison

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    West Bay
    Posts
    5,708
    Thanked
    2
    Personally, I think it's because he doesn't really love women. He loves the idea of women, and he loves to imagine that perhaps a woman adores him, but he doesn't really love them. If he did, he wouldn't be backing out like this and in this way. He may also have some self-esteem issues which don't limit the cajones it's taking him to ask you out, but do limit the confidence he has in himself for making a good connection with you in reality.

  4. #4
    goodkarma_1
    Bronze Member goodkarma_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Sunny Cali!!
    Posts
    331
    Gender
    Female
    Quote Originally Posted by savignon [Register to see the link]
    I think the reason anybody keeps doing any behavior is because they can. If you're not interested in a guy who doesn't follow through, then say "no thanks" next time he asks you out. If you keep saying yes, he knows you'll be around if and when he decides he'd like to see you.
    I agree with you. We have hung out before just not on an "official date". We hung out as a group and since he's asks me out twice and changed his mind both times. The reason I agree to go out is because I'm always getting advice to look outside of the box and try something new so I'm trying here IF he does ask me out next time I will defiantly say no thanks, I have plans etc. so he sees that I'm not at his beckon calls. Guess I thought I would give him a second chance because stuff does happen but the second time made it clear

  5. #5
    goodkarma_1
    Bronze Member goodkarma_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Sunny Cali!!
    Posts
    331
    Gender
    Female
    Quote Originally Posted by jettison [Register to see the link]
    Personally, I think it's because he doesn't really love women. He loves the idea of women, and he loves to imagine that perhaps a woman adores him, but he doesn't really love them. If he did, he wouldn't be backing out like this and in this way. He may also have some self-esteem issues which don't limit the cajones it's taking him to ask you out, but do limit the confidence he has in himself for making a good connection with you in reality.
    Interesting, thanks. From what i get from him I don't think that he suffers from low self esteem, he's much of a flirt. But I think you called it correct that he loves the idea of woman and enjoys being adored. He is good looking and a quite a smooth talker and these are the kind of men that think they are a gift to woman..in most cases. Its always the one that you don't want that want you and vice versa. I hate the fact that I'm attracted to "tools". My ex was the definition of a tool which is why I'm no longer with him Being single and as I learn more about myself I'm starting to see a pattern. I want to break this.

  6. #6
    oldenoughtoknow
    Platinum Member oldenoughtoknow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Age
    56
    Posts
    2,923
    Gender
    Male
    Thanked
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by goodkarma_1 [Register to see the link]
    I agree with you. We have hung out before just not on an "official date". We hung out as a group and since he's asks me out twice and changed his mind both times. The reason I agree to go out is because I'm always getting advice to look outside of the box and try something new so I'm trying here IF he does ask me out next time I will defiantly say no thanks, I have plans etc. so he sees that I'm not at his beckon calls. Guess I thought I would give him a second chance because stuff does happen but the second time made it clear
    Just a suggestion. If he does ask you out again, say no thanks, but don't make up an excuse that you have plans or whatever. Stand up for yourself and say "no thanks, you've cancelled on me twice. That's over my limit." Put him in his place, under no uncertain terms. Every time you stand up for yourself, it's really a nugget of self-improvement. He might learn from it too - sometimes jerks (for whatever his reasoning/justification is) need a wake up call (or two) for them to get that their behavior is not acceptable. And, if you're still interested, he might try to make it up to you. It's a win-win-win.

  7. #7
    top bloke
    Platinum Member top bloke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Age
    47
    Posts
    2,442
    Gender
    Male
    Thanked
    11
    If you dont really like this fellow then as above dont go out with him. I wouldnt want to have the company of people who act like that...so what is the point of accepting...ask yourself this question.

  8. #8
    goodkarma_1
    Bronze Member goodkarma_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Sunny Cali!!
    Posts
    331
    Gender
    Female
    Quote Originally Posted by richpart [Register to see the link]
    Just a suggestion. If he does ask you out again, say no thanks, but don't make up an excuse that you have plans or whatever. Stand up for yourself and say "no thanks, you've cancelled on me twice. That's over my limit." Put him in his place, under no uncertain terms. Every time you stand up for yourself, it's really a nugget of self-improvement. He might learn from it too - sometimes jerks (for whatever his reasoning/justification is) need a wake up call (or two) for them to get that their behavior is not acceptable. And, if you're still interested, he might try to make it up to you. It's a win-win-win.
    hey richpart, thanks! That's good advice. I think i tend to be "too nice" because I don't want to come off as B and more so I don't want the guy to know I'm upset about it and think I cared about him or whatever. I guess bad on my part. Your right, I'll make it clear that he cancelled twice and no more. I hope he contacts me again lol :P

  9. #9
    goodkarma_1
    Bronze Member goodkarma_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Sunny Cali!!
    Posts
    331
    Gender
    Female
    Quote Originally Posted by top bloke [Register to see the link]
    If you dont really like this fellow then as above dont go out with him. I wouldnt want to have the company of people who act like that...so what is the point of accepting...ask yourself this question.
    I don't dislike him, I just thought I'd try to get and see what happens. I've known him for months and we have fun together (but again we are in a group) so I thought id try going on a date and get to know each other outside of a crowd. I know there is no point in accepting, I see that now. I agree.

  10. #10
    BriarRose
    Platinum Member BriarRose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    7,570
    Gender
    Female
    Thanked
    3
    Is usually because they are seeing others.

  11.  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Top Threads
Potential trouble between current fling and ex.Need advice
Hello all.Okay so I'm a 34 y/o male there someone in my life that means the world to me .Someone that i'm very much in love with. I've been seeing
Bf stays up all night drinking beer and watching TV
I'm at my wits end. I'm so annoyed by his behavior and I've spoken to him about it. He is 37 and unemployed and has only had 1 job(that he only had
Got Too Drunk On Second Date
Hi everyone, A little background information, I'm 24 years old and got out of a year long relationship a couple months ago. I recently decided to
Confused and frustrated
Alright guys... I know this is about to sound crazy but I can't put my mind at ease. I've been talking with someone since May of this year, we live
Dating Across Racial Lines
Dating Across Racial Lines Hello guys, thank you for taking the time to read this! Something thatís been bugging me for a while and I was hoping
Boyfriend wants to break up but still live in the same house
My boyfriend and I have been dating for over 3 and a half years. We've had a bumpy road, but we've stuck through it all. Until yesterday, when I
He wants to take it slow physically
Hi, am new on here so thanks for reading my post. I am a woman dating a man who wants to take it slow physically. We had about 12 dates so far, we

Expert Advice
Featured Threads
Weird crazy breakup
Here goes. We was together 4 and a half years, lived together for the most of that with her grandparents, yeah moved in pretty quick because of
is my bf racist? is there a future?
I am a bit dumbfounded and confused.. pls comment.. I have been dating my bf for 3 years. I look asian and he looks european. Things have not always
Great conversation but she Ghosted me?!
When I asked for her phone number, she kinda looked at me (the really dude? face). I knew it was over, but seriously it bothers me that we had a
My Girlfriend's Extreme Anger and Dramatic Behavior Are Ruining Our Relationship
This is gonna be a long one. Bear with me.. Okay, so this is my absolute first post on any forum ever. I am a 21 year old male, and I am currently in
Wrapping your head around an incurable condition
How does one do that ? While my condition is not fatal it is incurable and my life quality will steadily deteriorate over time. Most possible will
My mom kept a secret for 28 years
I'm 28 years old, my mom always told me to not sleep around, said she never slept w anyone till she got married, etc. well randomly tonight she tells
Confusing relationship with ex
So my ex and I broke up about 3 months ago. There was a lot of hurt, I was really depressed for the first weeks until I got back on my feet and
Ask For Advice

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •