Why does he act normal around everyone but me?

glucoze

Okay so, I gathered up a bunch of information...

Yes on my "shy guy"

turns out he's not so shy, especially around my friends?

What the hell LOL... well my friend was explaining to me the way he acts...

All nice and friendly, polite and smiley.

Oh oh, but when I'm around this changes.

He acts totally different. He used to run away when I'd enter the room,

acts like some nervous wreck.. Always seems flustered..

Always has that look like he's trying too hard to concentrate on something..

Walks by me a lot and looks at me. Stares at me from a far, looks away when I look back. The only time he smiled at me was when I approached him..

I don't understand. Why does he act like he hates me but can act so chill and non chalant around me friend?

And if he's not into me he can just spit it out I'm a big girl..

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Simple: He's shy around you because he likes you.

He likes you a little too much, in fact. He cares so much about what you think, or how he should act, when you're around that he gets into his own head and can't get things right. I'll bet he beats himself up over it too.

The reason he's fine around your friends, is simple: he's not interested in them, so he just doesn't care what they think - he can easily be himself around them.

The solution? Hmmm... I could likely provide a solution to him. He's elevated you in his mind to some height; he has to realise that you're only human too - and not the only girl alive.

A solution for you? That's a little harder, since the problem is really in his mind. Are you interested in him? I'd just try to ease into some simple conversation, but be very gentle - it's likely he'll trip over himself at first (by the sounds of it), and it may take a few tries on your part, but if you can make him feel comfortable around you it should get easier for him to act normal.

It's a tough position to be in, for either of you. I personally still screw up interactions when I start liking a girl - it's not so cute when you're nearly 25

Yes I am interested in him. Have been for awhile now. I was always just too afraid to really take it there- to a bigger move other than the few words I've spoken to him about. Because of his behavior and I easily become discouraged by it, I tend it think "okay he obviously doesn't like me or has some issue wit me that I can't understand." But after noticing and seeing how he interacts with my friend, it made me a little sad LOL.

My friend said "he's cool. Very nice, too smiley" and I said "what!!?? Not around me !!!!!!" and of course first thing I am going to assume : he doesn't like you!!

I still remember the first thing I said to him 3 months ago. He acted like idk he acted weird! He was blushing and smiled but he acted like he was nervous and just wanted to go back to studying. Now that I think about it, it's making me more upset because when my friend asked him a fake question all he did was smile and act super friendly with him almost like they were already friends. And of course as my friend told me what happened I stood there feeling stupid.

This guy acts like such a gentlemen and so nice and polite and friendly around everyone but me, helll even strangers but with me. Doesn't smile unless I approach. Stands or sits there looking, all the stuff shy people do.

Makes me sad

Do you see him often?

It's true that time spent with you would likely fix it (and the more frequent, the better). But just try not to do anything to make him feel too uncomfortable - if he goofs up, don't point it out and make it a big deal. Just try talking to him, and getting to know him. Ease into it, smile, be friendly, and gentle. Ask him how his studying is going, maybe even touch his hand a little. If you can get talking to him alone, it would be better (so he doesn't have others in the back of his mind too). Also, I don't know you, but you could pay a little attention to how you dress too - if you're really looking A+ around him, it's going to be harder for him and make things worse. I'm not saying be frumpy, but... dressing down just a little may help if you're willing to.

It sounds like he's super shy, and I'm not sure if he'll be able to overcome it by the sound of it, but there is hope. If it doesn't get any better, I'm not sure there is much you can do.

I'm also really sorry to hear it's making you feel this way. It's got to be really hard on him too. Try to bear in mind that he is just doing this because he does like you, he really likes you in fact, and that he just wants to get it right when you're around. Your story is so cute, but so heart-breaking - I hope it works out for you

Yes.

It's a confusing reaction.

One I am sure he is not happy with himself.

There's a barrier which he puts up as protection from embarrassment in front of you.

I'd say he feels that he would rather stay silent than to say too much and open up to the point where you find out who he really is, ending up not liking him or think less of him.

What if I like him in the end? I don't think he's that much of a bad person.. He seems really polite, and friendly and nice. That's something I do not see on the daily..

All of this just makes me think he doesn't like me. It's really confusing.

Lol

if you're really looking A+ around him, it's going to be harder for him and make things worse. I'm not saying be frumpy, but... dressing down just a little may help if you're willing to.

I have noticed this with the shy guy I'm interested in. Normally, when I like a guy, I will dress a bit sexier when I know I will see him (not super-sexy, but something a little low-cut maybe). But with this guy, it seems to make it worse! If I'm looking really good, he can't even look at me and can barely spit out two words!!

LOL! oh my god

That happens a lot..

with him I mean. Like I could come in wearing jeans and a sweater or something and he'd be around me. But when I wear something that shows alot of skin like short shorts or a dress

all he can he is stare but he stays far away.. and he barely looks at me. I look at him from time to time and he's trying really hard not to stare.

My friends also say that he's trying to make an impression by being really nice and polite with my other friend. I put two and two together, and it makes sense.

he's seen me with my friend at least two times, and now he's being nice with him?

Yeah that's just something i noticed.

It's still a little discouraging though!

If he laughs at you he's not very mature and it'd be a good thing that you're NOT dating him. If he rejects you...hey at least you know he isn't interested and it's his loss anyways.

I vote ask him out, I've acted in the past like he is right now....you'll wait all of eternity if you don't(not to be discouraging or anything).

Archived