Ask For Advice

Thread: Dating a divorced man. Can't get over being jealous of his ex-wife...

floridagirlal
    Bronze Member

Dating a divorced man. Can't get over being jealous of his ex-wife...

Hello. I have had something on my mind for weeks now and I can't seem to come to terms with it in my head. I'm hoping for some guidance or insight from someone who may have been in my position before.

I'm 38 and have been divorced for 2 years. I have been dating a wonderful man for a little over a year. He is wonderful to me and I know he loves me. My problem is that I can't get over his past. It bothers me to know that he was married and had a life with another woman before me. I can't stand to think about him building a life, a house, kids, and everything else that goes along with marriage with someone else. I have just spent the weekend with his sister and it seemed like she talked about the ex-wife non stop. His sister hates his ex-wife and spoke very poorly of her but we still spent a great deal of time talking about the ex-wife. I feel so immature that I'm struggling to get past these feelings but I am truly having a hard time with this. What's even more ridiculous is that I was married for the same amount of time and had 3 children. My boyfriend never feels jealousy (or never mentions it).

I hope there is someone out there that has experienced the same feelings and can shed some light for me.....

Speranza
    Platinum Member
    The detail you add at the end DOES make this seem a little odd, yes. It's just a matter of mental discipline I think.

And perhaps learning to change the subject very gracefully to something positive when she comes up in conversation. Or if you can't do that, have a phrase at least in your head, like: "Let's leave the past in the past."

What would you say to reassure your partner if he had these feelings about your past?

Crazyaboutdogs
    Are you generally a jealous person? Did your ex husband have a past when you got together with him? If so, were you jealous of his past? Why did you and your ex divorce? Is it possible you have some unresolved issues from your marriage which you are bringing into this relationship? I guess I could understand your feelings if you yourself had never been married, but you have...you basically had the same life experience as he has had. This is your second time around as well as his.

Top Threads
My husband hates my parents
My husband and I are newlyweds and before we even became serious I Co signed a car for my mom due to Financial problems My mom just so happened to
Advice please
My husband and I have been together 5 years, married for one. We just had our first baby and couldn't be happier! My maturnity leave is over, I work
Husband hurts me generally as well as during sex
My husband of almost 3 years of relationship and including almost 2 years of marriage hurts me. He generally punches and twists my arm or pushes me
Why can't my husband move on from the past?
Or anyone in general? He constantly is bringing up and worrying about things that have happened months even years ago. Even after breaking up and
Girlfriend is pusing for marriage
Hello, I am in a serious relationship with my girlfriend for 4+ years. We met in an international university. We are from different countries and
Wife Cheated and I don't know if I should forgive or call it a day.
Three weeks ago my wife of just over a year confirmed she cheated on me after being married for less than year. The affair was with a colleague and
seeking women advice on time and space?
Hi ladies, I am a male seeking input to help decode my wife's meaning of time and space. To start, our marriage is on the rocks. She's made it

Featured Threads
Parent and relationships problems
So clearly i need help sooo i will get right into the story.....sorry its so long I am a 25 year old male who is in a relationship with my 19
My boyfriend is trying to date other woman on online dating site.
I really need help. I am so confused. My boyfriend is on online dating site. He said he wants to date other women. We were on and off relationship
My wife left me without having even a talk
Hi everybody, I wonder if this is normal just to leave a marriage of 7 years without having a proper talk before moving on? It happened to me that
Confused about FWB
Last weekend my FWB and I made plans to meet up. He drove down from his place to go to a party with friends, afterwards he was coming to spend the
Everything is just JUMBLED
I have an extremely, EXTREMELY screwed up life. At least from my point of view it is. At least I think I'm the only one that knows my own
Getting over someone to be with them again later?
Long story short, my ex broke up with me after 4 years because he said he was immature and needed to grow up without me and part of that was meeting
Need Advice - it's urgent for me
Hello Everyone, I meesed up my life and I take full responsibilty. I ned advice and what to do to remedy the situation immediately and prevent it
Ask For Advice