Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My girlfriend is a sociopath.

tbradley

My girlfriend is a sociopath.

My girlfriend was diagnosed with bipolar disorder 5 years ago but has recently been told that it was a mis-diagnosis and that she is a sociopath.

At first, with her being bipolar, I could handle it. The mood swings, the lack of empathy or guilt... "It'll go away."
    And it always does.
    But now that I find that she is a sociopath and that it can never change... I don't know what to do.

I will never leave her. I never could.

But it kills me.
    I HATE being in those situations. I just can't wait to go to sleep until it's gone. But now all I think about is that it will never stop. It will happen tomorrow and the next day...
    My girlfriend will always be a sociopath and I will always be her "willing victim" as they put it.

Talking to her doesn't help.
    The whole "lack of empathy" thing... That "no guilt" thing...
    She, sincerely, does not think that there is anything wrong.

She doesn't care about how miserable I am.

Sociopaths cannot love someone.
    But I know she loves me.
    But I also know that she would say that... To reel me in.

All she does is tell me to grow up. She tells me that I am being sensitive. That I am overly dramatic.

I don't expect anyone knows how it feels unless they have been in love with a sociopath.
    I don't think "my ex was crazy" covers it.
    I can handle crazy.
    I can't handle mental terrorist.

-Tiffany.

aurevoir

You are contradicting yourself.
    "sociopaths cannot love someone"
    yet she loves you?

I don't know. You can leave her, I think you need to focus on yourself. You sound really needy. WHy won't you 'ever leave' her? I am not saying shes a bad person because she has a mental illness but... I dont think you can put up with a sociopath for very long.
    You'll only go crazier.

And I was friends with a sociopath/manic depressive/narcissistic girl for about 5 years.
    I know what it is like...

IphigeniaSaysHi

That is a huge diagnosis, has she gotten second opinions?
    But, in my honest opinion, there is nothing you can do... I would leave :\

Crazyaboutdogs
    Whatever the diagnosis..someone who lacks empathy and compassion is a lost cause as far as any kind of meaningful interactions with anyone because they just view people as a means to an end...their own self-gratification. They are leeches. If you don't get out now you will end up being bled dry.

jul-els
    Platinum Member
    Love is not a good enough reason to stay in an unhealthy situation. Knowing what you know and choosing to stay is choosing to put yourself in harms way. It's not healthy and you will be the one who loses in the equation.

waveseer
    My opinion is that you are your own worst enemy and if you hadn't found her you would have found someone else who would do your dirty work (i.e. emotionally terrorize you). In my best Forrest Gump voice, "Crazy is as crazy does." It's not wrong to be the way you are, but do yourself a favor and take responsibility for your choices because, as we all know, it takes two to tango.

doiiiieeezie
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by waveseer [Register to see the link]
    My opinion is that you are your own worst enemy and if you hadn't found her you would have found someone else who would do your dirty work (i.e. emotionally terrorize you). In my best Forrest Gump voice, "Crazy is as crazy does." It's not wrong to be the way you are, but do yourself a favor and take responsibility for your choices because, as we all know, it takes two to tango.

You said it better than I could

I would also ask for a second opinion, because that is a very serious diagnosis, and if she is not willing to see the faults of her wrong doings (because we all make mistakes) and get professional help, then I would be out of there quick.

You also need to see someone to help with the issues that this relationship has impacted on your personality. I hope it works out for you either way

dolcemano
    Quote Originally Posted by tbradley [Register to see the link]
    My girlfriend was diagnosed with bipolar disorder 5 years ago but has recently been told that it was a mis-diagnosis and that she is a sociopath.
    I might be of the point here, but I'm interested on how did she react on that diagnosis? Did she just come and told it out, or?

HeartGoesOn
    Never say never...

In the Dark
    Either way, whatever diagnosis she is a (B-word) to you.

Why the fear of dumping her?
    Do you think it will be REAL hard for you to find another woman?
    Possibly because you are a woman as well and it's hard to find another woman with the same sex gender preference?

There is no reason to love who you have, if who you have hurts you.

You just have to realize it's far beyond logical to do so.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Top Threads
It's long, but please, I need all the help I can get.
I'm 32 years old and have been in a relationship for 6 years. My daughter and I live with my boyfriend in a very nice house that we bought together
Being made to feel guilty for not wanting to have sex
Okay. So, my boyfriend frequently gets mad if I don't want to have sex when he does, and he will sulk and make me feel guilty and treat me poorly all
My boyfriend doesn't believe I was raped by my ex.
I've known my boyfriend since I was 8 years old. Our families were super close and I was head over heels for him. We recently got reconnected a few
My boyfriend suggested breaking up
Hi everyone. So I have finally had a discussion with my boyfriend about how it bothers me that he hangs out with other girls one-on-one a lot. So it
Objective Opinion please?
I guess this is a somewhat petty argument in the grand scheme of things but I'd like to get a few objective opinions here because I feel like doing
Should I try to work it out
I've been dating this girl for a year and we both had marriage in our sights but recently I found out we are distant cousins. My great aunt is her
She still lives with her ex
I met this wonderful woman who stole my heart and we got engaged less than 4 months into the relationship. I did say yes because I love her and I

Featured Threads
I would kill just to talk to her again:(
I know, it's pathetic. But it's been 6-7 weeks, post breakup, and I text her only once during that time, which was a short and uplifting text, but to
One year after my wife left, am I ready to move on?
My three year marriage came to an end about a year ago. During the three years, we were very happy, mainly because I was extremely giving. She came
Girlfriend Problems
My friend and I have had a "thing" for about a year now and we're technically dating. We both love each other and we've grown very comfortable around
Too much confusion...
About month ago I felt perfect , everything was going just fine, I mostly stopped thinking about my ex,and then bam - she contacted me. She contacted
Did I do the right thing? Dating a guy with kids whos living with his baby mama
Okay so basically I struck up a friendship with someone online who told me he had three kids and he was still living with his baby mama. The big red
How to make things up with my family?
Hi all, About a couple of weeks ago, I had an argument with my parents that escalated into something way bigger than it should have been, and
She isn't happy with me anymore.
Hi, I just found out about this site and I decided to ask you guys for help. I've been dating a girl for 4 months. She has anxiety and sometimes gets
Ask For Advice