How long does it take for a shy guy to ask you out?

Valentine

There's this shy guy I really like. I have him for a few classes and one day he came up to me and introduced himself. But after that he never said a word, just stared. After a few weeks of staring at me, I came up to him and said hi since i didn't have the patience to wait for him to do it. that was about a week ago. I think he needed that push because since then he's been approaching me a lot more and seems to be more comfortable talking to me. I know he likes me because of how he acts when i'm around. But the semester will be over in a month and i really don't want to lose contact with him. Do you think by then he would ask me out? or ask for my number? I really don't want to be the one to do it.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i would just keep on smiling and giving him a lot of openings.. mention how you like certain places or doing certain things.. don't expect him to bite right away so mention it once and then give him sometime to absorb it and then mention it casually a day or two later. he should bite..

Maybe you can add him on facebook and/or AIM? Bet he'd be a lot more confident online lol. But yeah, if you want him to make a move in person, you actually need to put some work into making it really easy for him to. Talk to him and make sure to look like you're having fun and smile and laugh a lot, and ask him 'leading' questions like what he's doing tonight or tomorrow and try to make him ask you the same thing and of course, try to get him to ask you out.

Well I don't have a facebook... and I have tried to facilitate things for him... I usually walk up and talk to him if i see him and I smile a lot when i talk to him....he does the same...I really like him which is not something that happens often and I've tried to show him that but I'm mainly worried about how long this is going to take, is there anything more that i can do to reassure him that i'm interested?...i'm kind of shy too so it's not easy for me to be very bold about my feelings.

Maybe suggest doing something but don't make it seem like a "date". You take the same class, maybe he could help you with homework after class. Maybe meet at the library or for coffee and do some studying. I'm not sure if you are in college or high school but if its college you could ask if he is going to a school event/game/a party, and let him know that you wanted to go but your friends couldn't join you and ask what he is dong but if he is really shy he probably won't pick up on that.

If you really want to let him know your interested just ask him out! I know it's really hard, but wouldn't rather take the risk yourself then wait until the end of the semester and him never ask? Plus if you ask him I think that will be a huge confirmation of your interest and will help out his confidence!

LOL you are so cute. "I really don't want to be the one to do it"

Awe, well if you think that way, nothing will happen.

take small baby steps. If he still didn't ask you, ask him out.

But don't make it sound so serious cause he'll probably get scared, just ask if he wants to watch a movie or go see a cool concert.

I'm in college....and I have asked him for help on some homework...that's usually the excuse i use to talk to him..and everytime he seems so happy to see me he always has this big smile...it's so cute...but I dont think i have the guts to ask him out...i've never done that before, before when i've liked someone, they approach me so i've never really had to make an effort. But he is completely worth it. How long should I wait and see? a week, 2 weeks?? I don't want to be pushy and scare him away or make him uncomfortable.

I'm in college....and I have asked him for help on some homework...that's usually the excuse i use to talk to him..and everytime he seems so happy to see me he always has this big smile...it's so cute...but I dont think i have the guts to ask him out...i've never done that before, before when i've liked someone, they approach me so i've never really had to make an effort. But he is completely worth it. How long should I wait and see? a week, 2 weeks?? I don't want to be pushy and scare him away or make him uncomfortable.

Listen, you have to do it. Just ask him if he wants to see a movie, laugh and even fake a smile. Dont look too serious, Be like "oh my god my favorite movie alice in wonderland is out, but i have no one to go with, wanna go see it together? it'll be really cool!" with a big fat playful smile. He won't resist.

I know guys usually ask me out too, but you obviously like him.

Please do not let this one go. Just do it.

You don't even have to wait. You've talked to him before already, you guys are overdue to move further with each other.

You can choose to let your own shyness determine what will happen: Not make a move and bitterly let him go, or jump the gun and boldly initiate the hanging out first.

You said you already ask him for help on homework on such. So ask him to help you with like a whole chapter or section or something, but you don't have the time right now, so can you get his number and meet up later to learn that part? And then when that time comes you can also throw in an "oops-I-was-so-busy-I-skipped-a-meal-today-and-am-hungry..." You get it.

I just don't want to make it obvious that I want him to ask me out. He hasn't told me he likes me but I know he does. What bothers me is that even though I don't want to lose the opportunity neither should he...at least if he likes me as much as I think he does. I was the one who broke the whole silent staring for weeks think by talking to him, and I don't want it to always be the one to do the pushing...he is the guy. By now he has to know that I like him..and his friends always stare at me when i'm around...he had to have told them something...so why won't he just ask me out?? or at least ask for my number? I won't say no so i just don't understand his hesitation

You are stereotyping. Just because he is the guy and society pushed some view that guys should always ask the girl out, doesn't mean its fair. A lottt of guys would love to ask girls out, they are just afraid. And if you KNOW he likes you, why can you not make it easier for him and just ask him out? It is not like you are going to marry him. I know it's hard and frustrating, but he will love you for it. Unfortunately, that is just how it's going to be for a little while. You having to initiate first. I bet in his eyes he sees you as a goddess and he doesn't want to mess up with you at all, so he just sticks around without really doing much.

You have to. Just because you make a move, doesn't mean he's yours. You have to keep going at it. But hey, if you're just too shy and you want to stick to that kind of mentality - he's supposed to ask me out first! - I hope you have tons of fun living with regret when he actually slips away.

I will never understand it either. But he's shy. That is how shy people are. People like us think "really? what do you have to be shy about? we are talking now! I am friendly, and you are friendly! I've initiated a conversation with you, so you really have nothing to worry about" and then when they still don't do much it can irritate us. But keep going at it. You know he likes youuuu.

I will never understand it either. But he's shy. That is how shy people are. People like us think "really? what do you have to be shy about? we are talking now! I am friendly, and you are friendly! I've initiated a conversation with you, so you really have nothing to worry about" and then when they still don't do much it can irritate us. But keep going at it. You know he likes youuuu.

That is exactly what I'm always thinking. I know he likes me and I like him...so why does there have to be all of this jumping through hoops?..I'm a very straightforward person so I wish I could say it and get it out of the way but I don't want to screw it up and scare him away...i really like this guy....everytime i've come up to him or been more obvious he's always seemed happy about it but i haven't known him that long so I don't know how he'll react...It's like if there were a pink elephant in the room and nobody talks about it...

That is exactly what I'm always thinking. I know he likes me and I like him...so why does there have to be all of this jumping through hoops?..I'm a very straightforward person so I wish I could say it and get it out of the way but I don't want to screw it up and scare him away...i really like this guy....everytime i've come up to him or been more obvious he's always seemed happy about it but i haven't known him that long so I don't know how he'll react...It's like if there were a pink elephant in the room and nobody talks about it...

You gotta take a chance.

Just ask what hes doing for the weekend even

Just make it as obvious as possible. I'm a shy guy when it comes to women, we are terrified of rejection and even if we have an inkling that a girl likes us we still do nothing about it just in case there's still a 1% chance that we might be wrong and be rejected. Hopefully if you make it obvious enough he will realise 100% that you do like him and pluck up the courage to make a move.

Well...I haven't asked him out...still waiting...but today he made a lot of progress...I feel like he's more comfortable talking to me now but still isn't ready to take any risks. just talking to him makes me so happy that my cheeks hurt from all the smiling. That has never happened to me before.But...I'm scared to take a risk and lose the friendship I have now.

Archived