Lacking motivation to finish my painting.. Any advice?

Holy crap that's amazing Are you going to major in art in the future? The ground/elephant's detail is beautiful, can wait to see the reflection on the water

Thank you very much! My goal is to, if we can afford it. There's a local art institute I'd love to go to but it's pretty pricey.. but there are scholarships and stuff.

Heh, I was actually offered a scholarship to some art school in Georgia when I won my art show, but I was too young to qualify.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you very much! My goal is to, if we can afford it. There's a local art institute I'd love to go to but it's pretty pricey.. but there are scholarships and stuff.

Heh, I was actually offered a scholarship to some art school in Georgia when I won my art show, but I was too young to qualify.

With the way you paint, you should be able to get a full scholarship. I've taken quite a few university art courses and you're more talented than half of them... and they're mostly in their 20s!

With the way you paint, you should be able to get a full scholarship. I've taken quite a few university art courses and you're more talented than half of them... and they're mostly in their 20s!

Thank you, *blush* It's strange because in all honesty I haven't been doing this that long.. well, painting at least. I've always been drawing. And recently my art teacher has been bringing up every art scholarship opportunity available for me, so it's just a matter of time I guess.

My art teacher said that the only things I have to worry about for college are managing my time, working faster, and the focus of the picture.. She said that they would probably call me out on my elephant being centered because the elephant and the foreground capture your attention, whereas if he were off-center your eyes would take in more of the entire picture.. but I can't do that. I think it's the OCD, but I can't stand the thought of him being off-centered.

Thank you, *blush* It's strange because in all honesty I haven't been doing this that long.. well, painting at least. I've always been drawing. And recently my art teacher has been bringing up every art scholarship opportunity available for me, so it's just a matter of time I guess.

My art teacher said that the only things I have to worry about for college are managing my time, working faster, and the focus of the picture.. She said that they would probably call me out on my elephant being centered because the elephant and the foreground capture your attention, whereas if he were off-center your eyes would take in more of the entire picture.. but I can't do that. I think it's the OCD, but I can't stand the thought of him being off-centered.

I had the same exact problem. When I used to paint or draw, everything had to be centered and perfect... same with the photos I used to take. Everything just lined up so neatly. Eventually, I started learning from my boyfriend who is a photographer and I'll admit--things look MUCH better off-centered. It was difficult at first because I wanted to apply those 1st-grade-art techniques (you know, the straight horizon line and the road that's like a triangle).

I had the same exact problem. When I used to paint or draw, everything had to be centered and perfect... same with the photos I used to take. Everything just lined up so neatly. Eventually, I started learning from my boyfriend who is a photographer and I'll admit--things look MUCH better off-centered. It was difficult at first because I wanted to apply those 1st-grade-art techniques (you know, the straight horizon line and the road that's like a triangle).

Looking at some of my stuff, I'd have to say almost all of it is centered... On some of them, I tried to make the subject more to the left or to the right to give them some breathing room but they still appear to be sort of centered.. I guess it's a habit I'll have to work to break.. but on something that's on a much, much smaller scale.

One little update.. I'm insanely close to finishing. I can't see it taking more than five hours.. I have to add the ripples in the water and the elephant's reflection (which, on second thought, looks more like a shadow...)

image removed

The lighting in my house is remarkably bad. Sorry bout that.

It is like painfully close for me. It's difficult because I still have school going on and finals to take this week.. but I'll take the risk and attempt to finish it tonight.

This is where I am now... Decent photo this time. I still have to do the right half of the water.

image removed

There's no doubt in my mind -- I'm going to finish this week. I'm really feeling tomorrow, but if not, I've accepted that. I'll have almost the entire school day thursday to paint. I guess it's time to think about what I should call it. I've just always referred to it as "my elephant" or "my painting" or "the thing that has possessed my life for the past 6 months" ..

Things to think about I guess. It's strange.. I feel the school year coming to a close and my painting finally getting finished.. It feels as though my life is starting to lack purpose.. Heh, isn't that weird?

Well.. I'm done.

Thank you, I'm very proud. Two years ago, I don't think I would have ever expected myself to have accomplished anything like this. I'd also like to thank everyone for their guidance and support.

image removed

I'll try to get a better picture of it soon.

Here's a close-up of the ripples. I'm glad you like them.. they almost drove me insane!

image removed

I sort of wish that I'd signed it bigger... but there it is, signed Stephanie Taylor, dated 6-9-10.. Completed 6 days shy of its 6-month-mark.

I'm definitely going to keep painting... I just don't know what will be next yet.. I think I want to do a person.. Maybe I'll finish the gorilla painting I started a month or two ago. Whatever it is, it will be a long time before I do it on a canvas this big again. (it's 36" by 24" I think. 3ft tall. I myself am barely 5ft.)

Once again, thank you all.

Oh wow, that's really good! The ripples look awesome. It was fun watching the progress! Amazing to see the first pic and the final painting. You should be very proud. Keep painting!

Thank you! I'm very proud of it, especially since I rarely follow through with my projects past the sketch. It's sort of hard for me to believe that I'm capable of it, because there was that period when I came here when I wanted to just stop working on it. I took pictures of the entire 6-month process, from the sketch to the final product. I think I have around 3gb worth of pictures of it..

For the curious, this is the sketch of it from January. I chose not to add the branches in the upper left or the three reeds infront of the water. I thought it felt more open that way.

image removed

Then this is the better picture of the final product.

image removed