My Boyfriend thinks i'm insane...am I?

Siena

I have a question, maybe it wud sound weird but couple days ago I made a bet with my best friend that we both gonna go to work in the restaurant for 2 weeks n whoever backs out first get 1000$ that we bet on…

So I told about my bet to my bf and he told me I was insane, he said that if I do something like that im insane and that I don’t appreciate or respect what other people have to go through while working there, he thinks that I shd not interfere with “ less fortunate “ people that do the job…I was so shocked, cuz we volunteered to work for free at the restaurant …anyways.. I do technical analysis for the financial company but I earned that, and honestly I don’t see anything wrong with just working for free at the restaurant but he insists its wrong… am I wrong?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The "less fortunate" people who do that job? People who work in restaurants and stay there are typically very hardworking. Some support their families by waiting tables as a side job or a full time job. Some people work in restaurants because its flexible and helps them go to school or take care of their kids

And besides, "whoever backs out first" GIVES the other person $1000? They could quit on the first day.

I don't know if you are insane, but you certainly have a poor opinion of folks who are there putting in honest work. Maybe you have never had to really do any hard work?

See..thats what i am talking about...no one gets it. we just had a bet with my friend whoever survives first...maybe u just dont know all the restaurants in LA, like the one we chose , the owner forces waitresses to sell a 150$ bottle of wine ans do a hard selling on everything...and believe me, i am not trying to insult any jobs, all i asked was ur opinion...

and how am i wasting anyone's time? its not like someone doesnt get hired cuz of us or hired...its just a bet, whoever makes more money selling wins the bet, plus we dont even keep the tips, we give it all away to ppl who work there...i actually see it as helping, dont u?

If you have $1000 to bet, do yourself a favor. Each kick in $500 and have a night on the town. Don't take jobs from people who are desperate for work. While you two mess around, two other folks who sincerely want the jobs could have started. If you have $1000 to bet you obviously don't need this job.

I know you say that you "just want opinions" - but we are giving them to you. We are not going to pat you on the back and say that that's a great idea if we don't think so.

and how am i wasting anyone's time? its not like someone doesnt get hired cuz of us or hired...its just a bet, whoever makes more money selling wins the bet, plus we dont even keep the tips, we give it all away to ppl who work there...i actually see it as helping, dont u?

How are you working for free and giving people tips?

YES you take away from people being hired because with you there, even working for free, they don't need other people to cover the business. I tried to get a job once at my local school and in the end they decided to go with two volunteers rather than hiring me to save money. They had two retired ladies who didn't want the money split their time and do the job I would have had to support myself.

How are you working for free and giving people tips?

YES you take away from people being hired because with you there, even working for free, they don't need other people to cover the business. I tried to get a job once at my local school and in the end they decided to go with two volunteers rather than hiring me to save money. They had two retired ladies who didn't want the money split their time and do the job I would have had to support myself.

Exactly, you're taking away sales from people who actually need the job.

We are not taking anyone's job, the owner didnt want to hire anyone before anyway..he was full staffed... and the tips that we get, we never keep, we just give them away to whoever works there...i really dont understand why everyone so much against it? its like charity, no one is against that...

We are not taking anyone's job, the owner didnt want to hire anyone before anyway..he was full staffed... and the tips that we get, we never keep, we just give them away to whoever works there...i really dont understand why everyone so much against it? its like charity, no one is against that...

I think every post you continue to make about this is the exact same reason it is giving your b/f a bit of a bad taste in his mouth.

It sounds kind of shallow and self serving. I think that is what he is picking up on with this and why he said what he did to you.

No... he never worked in the restaurant, he is an engineer and he makes money, but he said it just interferes with his moral standards, which i cant understand cuz he can spend more than 5000$ on his suit and shoes... where is the logic?

but why?

what is the point in seeing who backs out first? I cant even see if being fun.

Theres many others ways to have a bet with a friend.

No... he never worked in the restaurant, he is an engineer and he makes money, but he said it just interferes with his moral standards, which i cant understand cuz he can spend more than 5000$ on his suit and shoes... where is the logic?

he probably cant understand why you are doing.

And while he may spend that on suits - which im guessing are for work - so im not sure how it works out to be the same what you are planning to do.

Why are you doing this at all?

we just wanted to have some fun, believe me, being a trader is a very competitive job, we thought we try something different, something both of us have no clue how to do...

and we never intended in any possible way to insult or take away someone's job...

i guess it doesnt matter what i say next and how much i try to justify myself some ppl just wudnt get it...and i understand it... i just thought being open minded and going for ur dream doing whatever it takes was the point ( cuz i went thru a lot of circumstances and hard work to get where i am right now)...well..thank u all for taking time to respond, really THANK YOU

we just wanted to have some fun, believe me, being a trader is a very competitive job, we thought we try something different, something both of us have no clue how to do...

and we never intended in any possible way to insult or take away someone's job...

i guess it doesnt matter what i say next and how much i try to justify myself some ppl just wudnt get it...and i understand it... i just thought being open minded and going for ur dream doing whatever it takes was the point ( cuz i went thru a lot of circumstances and hard work to get where i am right now)...well..thank u all for taking time to respond, really THANK YOU

I think the responses you are getting here are very valuable because what you are hearing is probably EXACTLY what he was thinking.

TO

but why NOT???? ppl live there lives doing the same thing over n over again... if someone decides to do something dif, maybe wrong in ur understanding its automatically becomes taboo... no..i dont think so...

I mean, honestly, u never desired to do something that wud be weird to other ppl, i bet u thought of it...but ppl are always too afraid to show or act on their emotions n i dont agree with that, i believe sometimes u are allowed to do something out of ordinary..not always but just to feel that you are alive...

Theres so many ways to have fun! And i cant actually see how working in a restaurant for nothing would be fun.

if you want to work for free , theres animal shelters, homeless shelters - i think if you were doing it at a place like that, peoples opinions and your boyfriends may be different...

I also think it'd be different if you were working at this restuarant for nothing - to help the owner, to get experience for you - but instead you are doing with a friend as bet as to who lasts longer.

But you asked about your b/f's reaction....no matter what your justifications are this is likely what he is thinking as well.

He's probably thinking that are a lot of other ways to work for free that are a bit less ... err don't even know the word I am thinking but shallow keeps popping up. NOt trying to offend you, but the attempt is kinda shallow.

I really don't see the big deal, you sound eclectic and like a lot of fun. Its just a bet, there are a million bets on earth that make no earthly sense at all...this is just another weird one. if you were in my neck of the woods I would buy you a beer. i say have at it and let me know who wins.

TO

but why NOT???? ppl live there lives doing the same thing over n over again... if someone decides to do something dif, maybe wrong in ur understanding its automatically becomes taboo... no..i dont think so...

I mean, honestly, u never desired to do something that wud be weird to other ppl, i bet u thought of it...but ppl are always too afraid to show or act on their emotions n i dont agree with that, i believe sometimes u are allowed to do something out of ordinary..not always but just to feel that you are alive...

I still say "why"....what is the point in going to a restuarant and having a bet who lasts longer?

Its not about if i ever wanted to do something and people thought it was strange. I went and sky-dived - people thought i was nuts, crazy and weird to do that - but i did it anyways and obviously if you really want to do this, you are going to....

i just cant see why. you are either gonna be 1000 dollars better off or have lost 1000 dollars. Theres many other ways to have a bet that doesn't require you 'working'.

The more i read ur responses the more i understand how close minded and boring people became, COMMON people, how do u have fun...

let me hear it...oh yeah, of course, u go to the clubs, eat sushi n go to the movies? anything else????

seriously, sometimes i dont get the judgment, what's to judge?

I still say "why"....what is the point in going to a restuarant and having a bet who lasts longer?

who cares? whats the point of bungee jumping, or slapstick hockey, or when boys play "how can take a punch and not cry" the WWF or ANY sport for that matter. Whats the point of half of the things on tv.

And who cares if its self serving...so is makeup, and working out, so is everything you do with your Ipod, so is everything on the Bravo channel, So is sex ( if you're not trying to make a baby) so is sex ( if you ARE trying to make a baby). Its 2010, many things in todays world are self serving. If it doesn't hurt anyone, why not do it. Unless you don't want people to think you're weird.

BTW- Siena...I think you're weird. Fun, but weird. I say do it, and when ure done, ure gonna think twice about half the things you do at a table. TRUST me

Archived