my 6 year old spayed dog has urine in her blood. help!!!

Trying_to_heal

I have a 6 year old mixed mutt, she is a female and she is spayed. About ten minutes ago she peed in my room (she never does this). It wasn't much, i would say maybe a small cookie size amount but i was very alarmed when i looked at it. It was just red blood. I went downstairs to get something to clean it up with then i saw a large amount of pee mixed with blood on the bottom stair case. In that pee there was tissue like red discharge in the blood. I am very scared and i am going to take her to the vet asap but does anyone have any idea what this might be? She is over weight because my dad feeds her constantly, might this have something to do with it? God this sucks, i just hope she will be okay and it's nothing to serious. I'm freaking out here guys!! Any feedback would be great. Btw i just got a small new kitty, i don't know if that makes any difference.

My guess is a urinary tract infection or kidney infection. Have you ever had a UTI? They are VERY uncomfortable & make you feel like you have to pee ALL the time, even if there isn't much there. Which would explain why she went in the house.. she couldn't hold it anymore!! Blood in the urine is a sign it has reached the kidneys, which is not good!! DEFINITELY take her to the vet ASAP. If it is a UTI or kidney infection, I think she will be fine with proper immediate treatment.

Please let us know when you get back from the vet!!

It could be a number of things, UTI, kidney problems, bladder stones, or even internal injuries. The fact she is peeing in the house when she normally doesn't is a sign you need to get her in quickly. Dogs, by nature, do not like to pee or poo in their living areas, if they are... there is something very wrong. They only do this when sick or when they can't control it. Sorry I can't be more help, but a vet is really the only one who can diagnose what is truly going on.

Good luck and get well soon puppy!

When my dog had the same thing, it turned out to be kidney stones. She had two very large ones the size of peanut M&M's. she needed surgery to remove them. Does she have a problem peeing?

No not really she's been peeing just fine just a little more often.. Did the surgery cost you a lot of money? How was the recovery time for your little one? I'm going to take her to the vet this afternoon when my brother gets home. I can't take her alone since i don't have the car and shes a handful when we go to the vet. I hope she will be okay

It's probably just a UTI, but it could be more serious like a bladder infection, kidney infection, etc.

If it's at all possible, try to get a sample of her urine to bring in to the vet's office. Or try not to let her go to the bathroom so the vet can try to get a urine sample.

It's very urgent that you get her in quickly (TODAY), as an untreated UTI can easily escalate into something much worse.

So i took her in and the vet said they need a urine sample. I wish i would have collected some this morning when i had the chance because now it will be nearly impossible since she always takes a leak in the grass. urghhhhhhh so frustrating!!!! He gave me antibiotics to give her just in case it could be a uti but he thinks its kidney stones. The good news tho is that he said usually if it is kidney stones they can put her on a special diet and the kidney stones can pass. I hope that will be the case.. Thanks everyone for your help.

Archived