question about pregnancy..

-Sanguine-

It's different for every single woman. For the vast majority they don't have "immediate" symptoms - most symptoms (other than a missed period) come one a few weeks later and in some cases even a month or two.

The key is: It's different for everyone.

Okay thanks.

Hopefully I'm just being paranoid then.

I'm assuming you had unprotected sex and are wondering if you're pregnant?

Haha, you guessed it.

I haven't had any symptoms or feeling sick or anything. It happened once.. well technically it wasn't completely unprotected - I am on the pill.

But for some reason I'm still paranoid. I'm not late for my period yet, I should be getting it by tomorrow.

It also happened right at the end of my last period. Does that decrease the chances?

Hmm, yeah. So I dunno why I'm worrying..

Most women who are on the pill have sex without any other form of birth control tens of thousands of times without getting pregnant. What you're thinking of as "unprotected" is actually normal for a lot of couples.

If you take it regularly and don't screw it up by taking antibiotics or something, your chances of getting pregnant after a year of having sex with no other form of birth control is about 1 in 1000. If we're talking twice a week or so, that's 100 times having sex for those odds. Getting pregnant after just once is about 1 in 100,000. Your odds of being in a car accident are much higher.

Actual failure rate is about 2-3 in in 100 after a year of sex, but the difference is all in use. Either forgetting a pill and having sex anyway, or taking medication that interferes with it.

Even though the pill is far more effective than a simple barrier method like a condom, it's natural to worry when there's nothing visibly protecting you from pregnancy. My ex used to convince herself she might be pregnant 3-4 times a year when we were using the pill.

Very true.. the odds are not high. I guess I've always just been very cautious and before I ever had sex I always told myself I wouldn't do it without a condom AND birth control at the same time. I don't think I trust either of them seperately, even though I know both are quite effiective. Maybe it's like you said.. it's because I can't physically SEE the protection so I worry. I won't worry anymore, unless I miss my period, which would be highly unusual for me. I don't think I've ever missed one or had anything irregular.

Very true.. the odds are not high. I guess I've always just been very cautious and before I ever had sex I always told myself I wouldn't do it without a condom AND birth control at the same time. I don't think I trust either of them seperately, even though I know both are quite effiective. Maybe it's like you said.. it's because I can't physically SEE the protection so I worry. I won't worry anymore, unless I miss my period, which would be highly unusual for me. I don't think I've ever missed one or had anything irregular.

If you are on the pill, you are MOST likely not pregnant. I would not worry. I am on the pill and have sex all the time (without any other protection) and I'm fine. Don't worry about it - you're fine!

Archived