Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

A day in the life of Mama Metro (metrogirl)

metrogirl

Almost 3 years as a member here and I have never done a journal. I do enjoy reading everybody else's journals and thought this would be a good time to start mine.

I have officially completed one month of healthier eating and exercise. In that one month, I was able to drop 9 lbs.

I'm not entirely sure what prompted this lifestyle change, although I do think it had something to do with an ongoing stomach issue that I have had for many years.

I feel good, I have more energy and I look forward to feeling better than I ever have. I need to have the stamina to chase the grandbabies around. They are quick little buggers.

The timing of it all was interesting because shortly after I started my journey to a healthier me, my bf was diagnosed with multiple serious health issues.

He's eating better and taking care of himself much better because I have been doing the same. I think if I was still shoveling the food down and not lifting a finger to do any type of exercise, he probably wouldn't either. So it's a win win situation for the both of us. He's motivated by my desire to feel good and I'm movitated because I want to be there for him through good health or bad.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At 11:00am I had a really good home cooked lunch, extremely satisfying yet now I have this awful craving for cheetos. I have been doing really well with not snacking on junk food but today I feel like I have to have them. Ugh....it's driving me insane. I'm sure it has everything to do with my cycle that is due to start.

Stupid cheetos....why do you have to be so bad and yet so good? Grrrr....

I love cheetos.

Oh god, do I love cheetos..

but i've had a constant nagging craving for andy capp's hot fries.

Met, i'm really proud of you for your new healthy out look on life..it's hard to break habits..and you can still treat yourself every once in a while [hellooooo, mexican food?] but it's all worth it!

Those grand babies are gonna keep you on your toes and you need to be in tip top shape to keep up with them!

btw, how is your daughter and her boyfriend doing..? Is he still pushing for her to move to las vegas..? or have they moved..?

I love cheetos.

Oh god, do I love cheetos..

but i've had a constant nagging craving for andy capp's hot fries.

Met, i'm really proud of you for your new healthy out look on life..it's hard to break habits..and you can still treat yourself every once in a while [hellooooo, mexican food?] but it's all worth it!

Those grand babies are gonna keep you on your toes and you need to be in tip top shape to keep up with them!

btw, how is your daughter and her boyfriend doing..? Is he still pushing for her to move to las vegas..? or have they moved..?

No they didn't move to Vegas. I think she realized what a bad idea that would be. There is some stuff brewing though, I just haven't talked about it here. That will likely be coming soon though.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I did it before and I can do it again.

On a positive note, I took the bf for his weekly bp check today and his bp was lower and he lost another 6 lbs. Can I say that I hate him? It took me a month to lose 9 lbs and he lost 10 in just over 2 weeks.

That's 19 lbs between the two of us. That's pretty cool.

I think I may have picked up a bug from the gym. I woke up with a sore throat today.

I'm feeling good though overall. I definitely have more energy lately which is a good thing. Who likes feeling like a sloth? I know I didn't.

My son has been going to the gym with me, he's lost 3 lbs although his goal isn't to lose weight as he is slim already, he wants to bulk up for the girls.. LOL

I was sick with a sore throat yesterday and today I woke up much better so I decided to hit the gym for an extra hard workout. It went well, I left super sweaty and pumped up.

Now here it is 10:30 at night and I can't sleep. Perhaps I'm too tired to sleep, or maybe it's the thought of everything I have to do tomorrow. Why can't I ever just have some quality me time? It seems that lately, if I'm not cooking, cleaning, washing clothes then I am running endless errands. By the end of the day, I'm wiped and it's time to go to sleep and do it all again the next day.

I took Jade to the ENT doctor this morning. Not suprisingly, he wants another hearing test done on her but he did acknowledge that her hearing loss in one ear is likely nerve related. His goal now is to keep track of what hearing she does have in the other ear. As long as she has some hearing, her quality of life will be better. (his words).

Metttttro!!!!

How awesome that you're making such progress, are so motivated and have already been seeing and feeling the gains!

I'm sorry your bf has been dealt a rough hand but it sounds like you are making a good team of it, together! Yay!

Really proud of you...this is really gonna pay off bigtime.

xx

Well as of today, I have lost a total of 12 lbs. I must admit, it's a pretty good feeling. It sucks that I could have been doing this a long time ago but was afraid of feeling deprived food wise. I honestly lived for food, when I would eat breakfast I would already be planning on lunch and naturally when I was having lunch, I couldn't wait til dinner time. It was a never ending cycle of eat eat eat.

This experience has turned out to be much easier than I had anticipated.

I would kill for some fried chicken though. Sigh.....

Well as of today, I have lost a total of 12 lbs. I must admit, it's a pretty good feeling. It sucks that I could have been doing this a long time ago but was afraid of feeling deprived food wise. I honestly lived for food, when I would eat breakfast I would already be planning on lunch and naturally when I was having lunch, I couldn't wait til dinner time. It was a never ending cycle of eat eat eat.

This experience has turned out to be much easier than I had anticipated.

You have inspired me, Metro! Thanks so much. I cut out sugar. Not caffeine though. I want to lose weight, but I have to have one crutch.

Not to throw you off course or anything, but what I've found is that there is no food which I "can't" have, if I just indulge occasionally and then make up for it by not making it a habit and balancing that out later. (Though maybe this is something you'd like to do when you reach your target weight.) So like, if you have a major hankering for something greasy, you can eat it but just eat lighter later, or skip the butter on something you would have buttered. Also, quantity is everything. I can eat 3 bites of a cheesecake and feel I've surrendered to my craving, but I don't have to eat the whole slice, it was just enough to savor and feel like I'm not being totally deprived. It's amazing how that's all it takes sometimes, especially when it's really rich.

Also, eating slowly, that makes each bite feel more satisfying and substantial, because you're bothering to taste more. So you can feel a craving is satisfied on less quantity.

Just some things that have helped me not feel terribly deprived. But great for you, how determined you've been! Can't knock being on a roll....

You have inspired me, Metro! Thanks so much. I cut out sugar. Not caffeine though. I want to lose weight, but I have to have one crutch.

Welcome to my bandwagon. LOL I hear you on the caffeine. I have cut my coffee down to one large cup in the morning. I won't give that up, I just won't.

Not to throw you off course or anything, but what I've found is that there is no food which I "can't" have, if I just indulge occasionally and then make up for it by not making it a habit and balancing that out later. (Though maybe this is something you'd like to do when you reach your target weight.) So like, if you have a major hankering for something greasy, you can eat it but just eat lighter later, or skip the butter on something you would have buttered. Also, quantity is everything. I can eat 3 bites of a cheesecake and feel I've surrendered to my craving, but I don't have to eat the whole slice, it was just enough to savor and feel like I'm not being totally deprived. It's amazing how that's all it takes sometimes, especially when it's really rich.

Also, eating slowly, that makes each bite feel more satisfying and substantial, because you're bothering to taste more. So you can feel a craving is satisfied on less quantity.

Just some things that have helped me not feel terribly deprived. But great for you, how determined you've been! Can't knock being on a roll....

Thanks ToV. I do allow myself the occasional treat. Yesterday I bought some super yummy muffins for the family and I didn't really want to eat a whole one, so I just grabbed a bite from one my daughter's and I was fine with that.

I think for right now, I will just say clear of the fried chicken until I have been doing this a bit longer. Only because I know myself when it comes to fried chicken, I can tell myself that I will only have one piece and then be good after that but I know I will want 2 or 3 pieces and all the good stuff that goes with it. Better to be safe......

So I am probably the only person on the planet that doesn't own an Ipod. Lame I know but it is what it is.

So my workouts have been without music until today. I bought a cheapy MP3 player and I gave my son a list of songs that I wanted and he took care of business for me. I went to the gym with my new little gadget and I can't believe how great my workout was. It's amazing what some groovy music can do to boost it all up. I left out of there hot and sweaty and feeling great.

My son is truly a sweetheart as I never would have figured out how to do all that music download stuff. I am extremely challenged when it comes to anything technological.

I think I will reward him with a bike frame that he's got his eye on!

I wasn't quite sure which direction this journal would take when I started it. It seems to be mostly about my working out which is good but I suppose it can be anything I want it to be, it's my journal after all. LOL

So I am just going to put it out there, I'm going to be a grandmother again. I just needed to get if off my chest but I'm not really ready to talk about it. Only 1 person here has known and I thank her for listening to me while I went through the initial emotions. When I am ready, I will talk more about it. I just don't want to feel so overwhelmed with everything that I come undone. I am very much trying to stay strong through everything so that I can be there for all of my loved ones.

We should be finding out soon if the bf will be needing any medications to assist with his ongoing medical issues. I do think he is doing a good job with his eating and he was walking more until he fell at work and banged up his shin. He ended up with a nasty cut and multiple bruises on his shin which made it painful to walk. It's healing now so hopefully he will be able to resume his walking. He has his weekly bp check today. Last week his bp was much lower and he had lost more weight. I look forward to these appointments with him.

congrats on you being a grandma again.

And I always enjoy reading your journal. You are an inspiration to a lot of people on here.

Thanks Renny, that does mean a lot to me.

I know it was January of last year that I wanted to get healthy but I couldn't/didn't stick with it. However this time, it feels very easy almost natural. I'm not really having any problems exercising or eating well, I think my only issue is I really really want some fried chicken. Everything else was easy to part with, fried chicken not so much. Well I can't really say that as I haven't had any fried chicken since I started my journey on the 1st of Feb but I seriously want to just have a nasty greasy fried chicken day. LOL

MG, most people when dieting, have a "cheat day" built into it, so that they can keep with the diet and not "fall off the wagon". Why don't you designate yourself a "cheat" day so you can have some fried chicken, and the other days keep to your diet and exercise schedule?

I'm thinking about it, I really am. I think I could probably wing it (no chicken pun intended LOL). I work out 4 -5 days a week and for the most part, I eat well.

One breast wouldn't kill me would it?

MG, no it won't.

Also, most people suggest a cheat day, that way you don't fall off the wagon when it comes to dieting.

I dunno. I am bad when it comes to dieting and I commend you for the efforts and results that have come about from your dieting.

Thanks Ren....

I have to skip the gym today so I can take the bf to the doctor for his bp check but I will be back at it tomorrow.

There's also great alternatives to your favorites..my mom makes oven 'fried' chicken..there's all kinds of recipes for it if you google it.

I can't say anything though because I love me some popeyes, haha.

I'm so proud of you, metro..you're doing great..and congrats on being a grandma again.

There's also great alternatives to your favorites..my mom makes oven 'fried' chicken..there's all kinds of recipes for it if you google it.

I can't say anything though because I love me some popeyes, haha.

I'm so proud of you, metro..you're doing great..and congrats on being a grandma again.

That's not a bad idea. I'll google some recipes and see what I come up with.

Thanks

Well the boyfriend wasn't feeling well yesterday so he cancelled his appointment and I ended up going to the gym anyway. I'm happy I did, it was a good workout. I even spent some time in the jacuzzi afterwards. The wet steam room is proving to be a god send to my skin. My face looks a lot clearer.

Archived