Comforting words for a friend whose been cheated on?

Anatolia

I felt kind of bad for not knowing what to say to a friend of mine

who went through so many break ups and all but one was because

they cheated on him. So any comforting words you have that I could

pass on? He's at the point right now where he's constantly

asking what he's doing wrong to keep having them cheat on him

and he doesn't want to risk dating and can't bring himself

to fully trust anyone in a relationship with him. Thanks!

Sometimes it's not what you say, it's what you DON'T say.

When my ex cheated on me the last time I had reconnected with my best friend and when I told her she just reached over and hugged me. Sometimes there are just no right words to say to a person. Some people just need to know you are there for them and that they have your shoulder at any time to cry on....

I asked those questions too but most of the time I just wanted somebody to listen, not really answer but listen to what was going on in my brain.

I felt kind of bad for not knowing what to say to a friend of mine

who went through so many break ups and all but one was because

they cheated on him. So any comforting words you have that I could

pass on? He's at the point right now where he's constantly

asking what he's doing wrong to keep having them cheat on him

and he doesn't want to risk dating and can't bring himself

to fully trust anyone in a relationship with him. Thanks!

we say this time and time again...one person not responsible for another person cheating....he's picking the wrong people to date. there are signs ... but you need a trained and educated eye as to they type of folks you pick. i can look back now and see that both cheaters i was with had the same M.O.

When I went through it the first time...the BEST advice I got was my buddy who had me look at it from a variety of sides. He supported me, but also told me to look at what I was doing that would cause my wife to look outside the marriage. He also didn't go into backlash....I fell away from those who wanted me to act out upon revenge. Most were wanting revenge and hate...and whatever they said I latched onto.

To be there for your friend...listen to them...take them out and do things...stay away from alcohol...(tell them that absolutly under no circumstance are they to touch beer, wine or anything hard) ...the mind will send them into a crazy state....

...don't go religious on them...

tell them that the other person acted wrong...but there were other circumstances...what wasn't your friend providing for him/her. Let them know that this is a VERY VERY VERY LONG process. One year later they will still be dealing with this. It'll stay in your psych for years.

be smart and you were smart in coming in here.

• 3 years later...

Archived