I don't grow hair under my arms?

anya85

I'm a 25 year old caucasian woman--and I've never grown any hair under my arms; completely clear and hairless there. Isn't that strange? I grow the usual peachfuzz woman hair all over my body and the normal hair "down there"; I got my period at the normal age(11), the other body hair grew in along with it, but nothing under my arms! This isn't a genetic thing, because all of the men & women in my family on both sides grow it.

Is anyone else like this? Is it possible this could be the cause of something odd with my body--like a hormone imbalance or something? Believe me, I don't miss having to shave or anything, I've just always found it strange.

I'm a 25 year old caucasian woman--and I've never grown any hair under my arms; completely clear and hairless there. Isn't that strange? I grow the usual peachfuzz woman hair all over my body and the normal hair "down there"; I got my period at the normal age(11), the other body hair grew in along with it, but nothing under my arms! This isn't a genetic thing, because all of the men & women in my family on both sides grow it.

Is anyone else like this? Is it possible this could be the cause of something odd with my body--like a hormone imbalance or something? Believe me, I don't miss having to shave or anything, I've just always found it strange.

I wonder if it could be genetic. Just because no one else in the family also doesn't grow hair does not mean it's not an inherited condition. Maybe you inherited 2 recessive genes, one from each parent, for hair growth under the arm. Or a genetic mutation?

If you are really that concerned you could talk to your Dr. I kind of doubt it's a hormonal imbalance.. you would probably have other health issues if that were the case. But I'm not a doctor.

your lucky!!

i think its just different for some women. The other day my bf asked how often i shaved my legs. I was like 'ohhh no dont look'. i hadn't shaved them in ages. He asked if i shaved them a few days ago. There was a bit of hair. I laughed and said no over 2 months ago! (i was on holiday where it was very cold for a month and half no point!). And he laughed and looked shocked and said ' but they are so smooth, theres nothing there'.................. im glad about that! hate to have hairy legs like a man!

I'm guessing you should be happy, save you alot of time on shaving thats for sure. Hair is an odd, odd thing, seriosuly i'm hairy everywere i cant even see my chest cause of the tick black hair, mean while i'm thining, its off the wall we humans will grow hair anywhere else on the body and start going bald, but we would go bald from the front to the back abit and have hair all around the side

When it comes down to it lot if not all of it has to do with genetics and your family life line.

I have no hair on my legs or arms!!! I've never had to shave my legs at all EVER!!!

I am a very fair, caucasion, italian woman with light green eyes and long, thick, curly dark hair on my head!!!!! It is lighter ''down there'' and i don't have a lot of it either..which is odd but my arm pits is maybe the only other place besides my head where i have a lot..i guess we are all different!!!!

I am not sure what cause it, but my mom had cancer awhile back and went through both chemo and radiation. All her hair fell out, and while her hair grew back in on her head and her eyebrows and I think down there as well, she has never gotten any back under her arms and very little on her legs. Her eyelashes are back but they are all different lengths. Everyonce in awhile she will find one long hair under her arms or something, but she loves not having to shave. It is weird though, I wonder what causes hair growth on some parts of the body but not others?

You could try Emotions Anonymous, it's a 12 step group where you'll get support. Pray if you're spiritual. Stay busy with whatever you can possibly find to stay busy with. Think of all the ways he was terrible to you when you miss him or think of the good times. I don't know your story, but someone else he seems to have read it and remembers how terrible he can be to you. If that's true, let him go. Do you love yourself? You deserve to be treated well.

You could try Emotions Anonymous, it's a 12 step group where you'll get support. Pray if you're spiritual. Stay busy with whatever you can possibly find to stay busy with. Think of all the ways he was terrible to you when you miss him or think of the good times. I don't know your story, but someone else he seems to have read it and remembers how terrible he can be to you. If that's true, let him go. Do you love yourself? You deserve to be treated well.

Hmmm this seems a bit off-topic from underarm hair.

• 2 years later...

Hi anya85,

I am 48 years old and also have never grown hair under my arms. No one in my family has the same issue, I have gone back generations to check on this. I have no full blood siblings, I have 10 half brothers and sisters. Maybe my father and mother created a gene defect, just seems strange that pubic and under arm hair should come at approximately the same time and the underarm hair just did not happen.I have two daughters and 1 son, alll have normal hair growth. My daughters are envious of me as they hate shaving under their arms.

I feel blessed not to grow hair under my arms, but I too would love to know why. I have asked doctors, they say I'm just lucky! . I had severe glandular fever when I was 18 months old, I often wonder if the severe swelling of glands in this area damaged the hair follicles.

Cheers Debju

^^^ im a male...but i have no hair on my arms or legs either... all my friends think i shave but im too lazy to take the time to do that lol...

Current man in my life also has no underarm hair although he has normal hair in all the other usual spots. I like it!

I never had hair under my arms until recently, in my mid-thirties. And then, oddly, I grew a few and they were only under my right arm. Now I have hair under both, but it's very minimal. Go figure. There's no reason I can think of, except that I also rarely need deodorant, so maybe there is just nothing going on there.

• 1 year later...

I'm the same way... I've never gotten a hair under my arms and I only have to shave my legs once every 3 months or so. I have very fine hair on my arms and down there but I have tons of hair on my head! I've often thought about hormones but if it was that then I wouldn't have gone through puberty at 11 so now I just think that I'm a lucky gal!!

Archived