Open Club  ·  30 members  ·  Free

Book Talk

darker fiction recommendations

greywolf

Dean Koontz has some good ones. Like the Odd series, Darkest Evening of the Year, One Door Away From Heaven, The Good Guy. And Nora Roberts has some good series too, the Circle Trilogy and The Sign of 7 trilogy. Don't know if those are exactly what you are looking for but they are pretty good.

• 2 months later...

Laurell K Hamilton's Anita Blake series has all that you want. Bondage, torture, murder, vampires, werewolves, blood, guts and lots and lots of sex. lol

There are 19 books in the series now. Start with the first one. Anita is all chaste and uppity, but as you read more and more, she is quite the kinky perv!! lol

You might try Broken April by Ismail Kadare. It's not actually fantasy... it's actually historical fiction which makes it a heck of a lot darker. It's not really creepy, per se. It's just very disconcerting, I guess. I loved it.

• 1 month later...

Gone Series by Micheal Grant

God, I love this series. It's about this town where suddenly a barrier cuts them off from the outside world and everyone over 15 disappears. Suddenly the kids start developing strange powers. The cruelest and most cunning start vying for control of the town against the average kids.

It's like Lord Of The Flies meets X-Men. It's well written and can be read by older people (Stephen King has given the book good reviews), it's not kiddie stuff. It's dark and explores what people can do when there's no one there to stop them, but isn't outright horror and is very exciting.

Gone is the first book, the second is Hunger, and the third and most recent is Lies. There will be six in all. (Plague, Darkness, Light come next.)

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

"The Book of Lost Things" by John Connolly

This book is pretty dark. It was really difficult for me to get through. It was too violent and gory. I absolutely hated it and almost stopped reading mid-way through. However I purchased it for $15 and that was a lot of money for me at the time, so I decided to keep reading. I'm really glad I did because I can't believe how the ending changed everything! Let me tell you it is sooooo wonderful in the end! I don't even know how the book takes you from such a dark place to a place of enlightenment.

I let a friend at work borrow it, and she couldn't get through it. I don't blame her, if I hadn't bought it myself I would have never finished reading that book. I can't describe it because the ending making all the suffering through it worth it.

If you like fiction/fantasy, gore doesn't bother you, and you can withstand the darkness, I think you'll absolutely love it all the way through. No matter what you'll definitely love the ending!

I read the book maybe two or three years ago (found it on google books), and I still remember it. It's one of my favorite books. Although, I haven't read it a second time because it was so dark. It doesn't start off super dark but it definitely gets that way.

Archived