stress, anxiety, yoga, health problems...i need some help

So...I have a medical condition (have had it for 2 years now) that was just recently diagnosed. It usually has no symptoms, but I was one of the lucky few who got them, and they are pretty miserable at times.

The condition itself isn't very important--what IS important is that my body needs to be able to fight it off, or else I have no choice but to have surgery. I recently quit taking my birth control pills, which my doctor said might have been inhibiting my body's ability to use its immune system to its fullest. She also advised that I take a multivitamin (have been doing so for over a year now) and eat plenty of fruits and veggies...and then she addressed the stress issue.

I have anxiety problems to begin with--but as long as I've had problems with this condition my stress levels have been OUT of control. I can't calm down. Ever. My doctor suggested I take up yoga, but I tried yoga a long time ago and it didn't help me to relax or feel less stressed whatsoever. So, my questions: Does yoga help more with stress if you do it on a regular basis? If so, can anyone recommend some good videos or something that will help me to really get into it? And, is there anything else that's actually WORKED to help lower your stress levels? I've researched it a lot but nothing I seem to try works. I exercise 3-4 times a week; deep breathing seems to help while I'm doing it, but unless I stop breathing like a normal person and do nothing but take deep breaths 24 hours a day it's not helpful. My doctor was really concerned about the impact my stress levels are having on my ability to kick this problem, so I'm desparate to find *something* that will help!

So...I have a medical condition (have had it for 2 years now) that was just recently diagnosed. It usually has no symptoms, but I was one of the lucky few who got them, and they are pretty miserable at times.

The condition itself isn't very important--what IS important is that my body needs to be able to fight it off, or else I have no choice but to have surgery. I recently quit taking my birth control pills, which my doctor said might have been inhibiting my body's ability to use its immune system to its fullest. She also advised that I take a multivitamin (have been doing so for over a year now) and eat plenty of fruits and veggies...and then she addressed the stress issue.

I have anxiety problems to begin with--but as long as I've had problems with this condition my stress levels have been OUT of control. I can't calm down. Ever. My doctor suggested I take up yoga, but I tried yoga a long time ago and it didn't help me to relax or feel less stressed whatsoever. So, my questions: Does yoga help more with stress if you do it on a regular basis? If so, can anyone recommend some good videos or something that will help me to really get into it? And, is there anything else that's actually WORKED to help lower your stress levels? I've researched it a lot but nothing I seem to try works. I exercise 3-4 times a week; deep breathing seems to help while I'm doing it, but unless I stop breathing like a normal person and do nothing but take deep breaths 24 hours a day it's not helpful. My doctor was really concerned about the impact my stress levels are having on my ability to kick this problem, so I'm desparate to find *something* that will help!

I have a "Yoga for Dummies" dvd. I like it a lot. I like the instructor, I find her calming. I'm also taking a "real" yoga class. I would advise you to take a class if you can. My class instructor is very good, and I'm learning how to put together a routine that I can do at home after the class is over.

I find Yoga does help relax me for a little while but I don't feel like it lasts forever.

My best stress relief is to read a good book. I grab a mug of hot chocolate and a warm blanket and a good book and just read. Escaping for a few hours has always helped me. I also have a small book of comics ("Get Fuzzy" is my favorite!!" that I can turn to if I can only have a few minutes to de-stress. Humor always does help with stress.

I have a "Yoga for Dummies" dvd. I like it a lot. I like the instructor, I find her calming. I'm also taking a "real" yoga class. I would advise you to take a class if you can. My class instructor is very good, and I'm learning how to put together a routine that I can do at home after the class is over.

I find Yoga does help relax me for a little while but I don't feel like it lasts forever.

My best stress relief is to read a good book. I grab a mug of hot chocolate and a warm blanket and a good book and just read. Escaping for a few hours has always helped me. I also have a small book of comics ("Get Fuzzy" is my favorite!!" that I can turn to if I can only have a few minutes to de-stress. Humor always does help with stress.

Actually, that is one thing that does slightly de-stress me--making tea and reading a book. If only I could sit around all day every day and do that, then I'd be stress free.

That's what I'm worried about with the yoga, though, is that it won't last--I'm sure it can be plenty relaxing while you're doing it, I just can't imagine it would carry with me when I get up and return to the real world.

Actually, that is one thing that does slightly de-stress me--making tea and reading a book. If only I could sit around all day every day and do that, then I'd be stress free.

That's what I'm worried about with the yoga, though, is that it won't last--I'm sure it can be plenty relaxing while you're doing it, I just can't imagine it would carry with me when I get up and return to the real world.

First off, this is NOT a request that you name your condition.

It is, however, a suggestion to consider that if you fear the condition so much that you try to address everything 'around' it while holding it as such a blight that you're unwilling to name it even anonymously, then this might help you identify the elephant in the room.

I'd consider the potential relief of counseling. It might be a helpful purge to take yourself to someone with whom you can just name the thing and rail against it!

From there, your attempts to stretch your body in yoga, free your mind in meditation and heal yourself through any other means you select might offer a bigger payoff.

Consider the suggestion above as a means to relieving emotional constipation--and once you relieve that, better results may follow.

First off, this is NOT a request that you name your condition.

It is, however, a suggestion to consider that if you fear the condition so much that you try to address everything 'around' it while holding it as such a blight that you're unwilling to name it even anonymously, then this might help you identify the elephant in the room.

I'd consider the potential relief of counseling. It might be a helpful purge to take yourself to someone with whom you can just name the thing and rail against it!

From there, your attempts to stretch your body in yoga, free your mind in meditation and heal yourself through any other means you select might offer a bigger payoff.

Consider the suggestion above as a means to relieving emotional constipation--and once you relieve that, better results may follow.

I agree with catfeeder, you should try to find a therapist that specializes in medical conditions and how they affect anxiety.

I have a medical condition as well (migraines) that are made much, much worse by depression and anxiety issues. I found a therapist that dealt with both sides of my issue---how to deal with a real migraine and how to deal with the pit of depression that I will always have to deal with them and the anxiety of this knowledge.

It was really hard for me to get my migraines under control when I knew they were "permanent". It really overwhelmed me. Therapy really helped separate the medical condition from the psychological condition and taught me how to deal with both.

And you know what? Now that I have a good handle on my depression and anxiety, my migraines have reduced a thousand percent.

Now, I don't know what your medical condition is, but I guarantee getting that anxiety under control via therapy will help with the medical condition.

I agree with catfeeder, you should try to find a therapist that specializes in medical conditions and how they affect anxiety.

I have a medical condition as well (migraines) that are made much, much worse by depression and anxiety issues. I found a therapist that dealt with both sides of my issue---how to deal with a real migraine and how to deal with the pit of depression that I will always have to deal with them and the anxiety of this knowledge.

It was really hard for me to get my migraines under control when I knew they were "permanent". It really overwhelmed me. Therapy really helped separate the medical condition from the psychological condition and taught me how to deal with both.

And you know what? Now that I have a good handle on my depression and anxiety, my migraines have reduced a thousand percent.

Now, I don't know what your medical condition is, but I guarantee getting that anxiety under control via therapy will help with the medical condition.

[...] Now, I don't know what your medical condition is, but I guarantee getting that anxiety under control via therapy will help with the medical condition.

Bingo! The one problem I've noticed with relaxation methods is the assumption that you're able to reach that state by denial of all the tricky emotions that come with real life.

I've tried denial, and it almost gave me an ulcer.

Go punch pillows and rage at the unfairness of it all, and speak of The Big Thing that really impacts your life. Venting THAT without need to appear as though you've got it all under control can be The Thing that actually gives you back that control.

Yeah, you have a point there. I initially avoided specifying the condition because it's, ahem...a gynecological issue and I was trying to spare the men from having to regret they wandered into this thread, lol. But possibly that's just the excuse I was giving myself, when subconsciously it's more along the lines of what you've said...

Anyway, catfeeder AND Sunny, thank you both for your advice. Only thing is, is it expensive to see a therapist? I saw one while I was going to college, for other reasons (it was free then as long as you were a student) and I really liked it, but I don't know if I can afford to do it.

I participated in a mindfulness-based stress reduction course and found it very helpful. It is good for addressing pain, illness and emotion-based stress. Here's a link: link removed. I'd like to take a refresher course to be honest! As for yoga, if you practice yoga mindfully and not a fast paced competitive form, it definitely has long term benefits. Just practicing helps train you to be in the moment, stay connected with yourself, not to mention improving posture, flexibility, etc. Find an instructor that helps you tune into yourself and coordinate movements with breath. It does work. Good luck

I don't know about cost. Mine was covered under insurance. Although when when we switched insurance it was no longer covered (luckily I was nearly done anyway) but my therapist said she was willing to work on a sliding scale.

The only way you'll know about cost is to start calling and ask. If you have insurance at least a few sessions should be covered. If not you can try calling therapists and ask if they will work on a sliding scale (you pay what you can afford to pay). There are occasionally free clinics for this type of thing, you may be able to get recommendations from therapists of where to go for free.

Oh, and call your old school's therapist and see what they recommend as well.

Archived