Ask For Advice

Thread: Guy friend trying to "protect" me??

cbzfmoc
    Bronze Member

Guy friend trying to "protect" me??

So I became really good friends with a guy I have known for years, during the last half a year or so. We *may* both be attracted to each other (I can only speak for myself, but I get signals from him sometimes). Thing is, he does this weird thing where he seems to be trying to show me that can protect me. When we go somewhere, for example the movies, he usually says something like "I will be your buffer" and tries to place himself where he thinks I am most likely to be "attacked." Uhhh so I am never particularly worried about being attacked. I usually kinda laugh it off and say something like, "Yeaaah I am sure those nerdy looking guys are going to attack me." I don't know, it doesn't really bother me (I find it kind of amusingly actually), I just think it's kind of weird because I definitely don't get this from any of my other guy friends. Anyone have any similar experiences or insight?

wayoverit
    A guy saying he's "PROTECTING" you is a way of him saying he doesn't have enough courage to say what he's feeling and is expecting you to make it easier for him to find an entry. Next time just grab his hand, smile, and say "I feel safe now."

ProtestTheHero
    He's either got a lame sense of humor and he's just joking around, or he's trying to playfully show you he cares and CAN take care of you in a low risk way. If you like him, respond positively to it. If you don't, tell him he's being cheesy.

That's a really stupid move on his part if that's how he chooses to express interest, though.

gsxr104
    Hmmm. I wonder if he'll be able to stay in that groove if you really do need protection. I would hate to think he'd run off or faint.
    Last edited by gsxr104; 01-10-2010 at 03:37 AM.

cbzfmoc
    Bronze Member
    I like him. But I don't need him to protect me. I am just trying to understand what is going on in his head, and what I should do next, if anything at all.

zzprometheuszz
    Quote Originally Posted by cbzfmoc [Register to see the link]
    I like him. But I don't need him to protect me. I am just trying to understand what is going on in his head, and what I should do next, if anything at all.
    he's not actually trying to "protect" you per se, it's not like you guys live in the jungle or something

it's just his way of showing his feelings

he cares about you, that's what's going on in his head

Top Threads
Is she interested?
So i met my good friends step sister about a week ago and we have hung out about 4 times. I was sleeping over my friends house and she was watching
I like a guy at work but i'm not allowed to date him
alrighty so i started a new job a few weeks ago and i think that one of our security guards is super super cute. but since i'm a cashier, according
Can I Convince Him Long Distance Is Okay?
So there's a guy I met. He asked me on a date. We've been on three so far. Between the first and the second he told me that he's moving after
Significance of holding hands with interlocked fingers
Holding hands with fingers interlocked or intertwined - is it a strong indicator of romantic intentions?
What does it mean if my friend asks me to go over to his apartment?
One of my guy friends who I have known for a couple of years recently asked me to go over to his apartment after a night out when we were quite
She flirts with me,but she loves a guy who doesnt care. What should I do?
She recently found out about my feelings for her (because she told me she liked this other guy, and I started ignoring her after that), and started
Am I overreacting?
I have been with my boyfriend for 9 months and it has been wonderful, however I have recently started to get feelings of jealousy after his frequent

Expert Advice
Featured Threads
Completely Confused? What does this mean?
Hi All- I was dating a guy for almost a year. We had a pretty great relationship- Things got serious. We told each other we loved each other. Even
Boyfriend told me he couldn't afford holiday, next day books one to Thailand
Basically my boyfriend of 6 months is $40k in debt (I'm debt-free). We had talked about going to Vietnam and he said he needed 6 months to save up
Not a regular here, I have a few questions...
I'll try to make this brief. Been in a relationship (23F) with a man (35) for 5 years. Typical in the beginning, though I always wondered how he
Weed or Me
Hi, I have been dating my boyfriend for a few months - he is 31 and I am 24. He has recently started smoking weed every night and I don't really
Is He Hiding from Me?
Hi All, Need some advice from those that are familiar with social media apps such as Instagram.. I'v been friends with this guy for about a
Red flag in friendship
I've been through a terrible first break up and was in a lot of pain. I was physically and mentally sick due to the stress of the break up but I'm
I broke hard NC after 7 months (B I G M I S T A K E)
No surprise, I'm absolutely devastated. She pretty much blew me off like I was a piece of trash. At first I was happy because she actually responded
Ask For Advice