Ask For Advice

Thread: Guy friend trying to "protect" me??

cbzfmoc
    Bronze Member

Guy friend trying to "protect" me??

So I became really good friends with a guy I have known for years, during the last half a year or so. We *may* both be attracted to each other (I can only speak for myself, but I get signals from him sometimes). Thing is, he does this weird thing where he seems to be trying to show me that can protect me. When we go somewhere, for example the movies, he usually says something like "I will be your buffer" and tries to place himself where he thinks I am most likely to be "attacked." Uhhh so I am never particularly worried about being attacked. I usually kinda laugh it off and say something like, "Yeaaah I am sure those nerdy looking guys are going to attack me." I don't know, it doesn't really bother me (I find it kind of amusingly actually), I just think it's kind of weird because I definitely don't get this from any of my other guy friends. Anyone have any similar experiences or insight?

wayoverit
    A guy saying he's "PROTECTING" you is a way of him saying he doesn't have enough courage to say what he's feeling and is expecting you to make it easier for him to find an entry. Next time just grab his hand, smile, and say "I feel safe now."

ProtestTheHero
    He's either got a lame sense of humor and he's just joking around, or he's trying to playfully show you he cares and CAN take care of you in a low risk way. If you like him, respond positively to it. If you don't, tell him he's being cheesy.

That's a really stupid move on his part if that's how he chooses to express interest, though.

gsxr104
    Hmmm. I wonder if he'll be able to stay in that groove if you really do need protection. I would hate to think he'd run off or faint.
    Last edited by gsxr104; 01-10-2010 at 04:37 AM.

cbzfmoc
    Bronze Member
    I like him. But I don't need him to protect me. I am just trying to understand what is going on in his head, and what I should do next, if anything at all.

zzprometheuszz
    Quote Originally Posted by cbzfmoc [Register to see the link]
    I like him. But I don't need him to protect me. I am just trying to understand what is going on in his head, and what I should do next, if anything at all.
    he's not actually trying to "protect" you per se, it's not like you guys live in the jungle or something

it's just his way of showing his feelings

he cares about you, that's what's going on in his head

Top Threads
Do any of these guys like me or am i being played by a group of friends ?
Im new here, so sorry if I talk a lot, but next time i will summarize my posts. Crazy enough, I found myself attracted to this guy Jay the first
Does he like me???
So there's this guy. His always flirting with me and asking me to go places with him. I really feel like he likes me, but today we were talking and
Did he not tell me about her because maybe he once considered leaving her for me
I met Ash during a high school field trip to see the Great Gatsby. He went to a high school 2 hours away, but we got to know eachother and he even
dad says go.find a.rich girl lol
Was at family reunion and my dad tells me go find rich chinese girl. He tells me how meighbour wifes side family bought house..the girl is lawyer and
She kissed me while being drunk
So I know this girl as a language exchange partner for about a month... we text and sometimes talk on the phone but are often busy to meet. Today I
So confused with mixed signals, help!
I've been working with this guy for 3 years. He is in a relationship with a girl and I'm in a relationship with a guy. We all work together (except
Patience is key?
So I have been talking to this guy for a couple of months and I really like him. We are both in college I and are both 19. He has told me he likes

Expert Advice
Featured Threads
Tired of Being His Provider??
Okay so I found this site through Google. This seems like a pretty common topic and I suppose I just need to vent. My husband has been unemployed
Beautiful women who works at lush...
So there is this a girl who works at this place. I've been in there twice now and she is a stunner. Its one of those girls who you have to look twice
Being left for another man by my ex girlfriend
My and my ex gf broke up 7 months ago back in late April. We had bad fights and she stated she was unhappy. She then proceeded to have an active
Wondering?
Ok, I posted before about my situation but I would like to further talk. This woman I became involved with 3 years ago TOLD me she had feelings for
Break up Advice Needed
Hi all, I really need some advice on my recent break up with my girlfriend of almost five years. A few months ago I started to feel unhappy and
She's getting ready for marriage. She thinks that it is what I want. My fault.
So, I am pretty much in a difficult situation. I have been with a girl for the past 4 years. In these 4 years, after a while I realized she really
Venting - Advice...?
Hello, Im a 36 year old male, married with 3 kids. My wife and I are pretty much like roommates. There is zero sex life and its from both ends
Ask For Advice