Ask For Advice

Thread: Guy friend trying to "protect" me??

cbzfmoc
    Bronze Member

Guy friend trying to "protect" me??

So I became really good friends with a guy I have known for years, during the last half a year or so. We *may* both be attracted to each other (I can only speak for myself, but I get signals from him sometimes). Thing is, he does this weird thing where he seems to be trying to show me that can protect me. When we go somewhere, for example the movies, he usually says something like "I will be your buffer" and tries to place himself where he thinks I am most likely to be "attacked." Uhhh so I am never particularly worried about being attacked. I usually kinda laugh it off and say something like, "Yeaaah I am sure those nerdy looking guys are going to attack me." I don't know, it doesn't really bother me (I find it kind of amusingly actually), I just think it's kind of weird because I definitely don't get this from any of my other guy friends. Anyone have any similar experiences or insight?

wayoverit
    A guy saying he's "PROTECTING" you is a way of him saying he doesn't have enough courage to say what he's feeling and is expecting you to make it easier for him to find an entry. Next time just grab his hand, smile, and say "I feel safe now."

ProtestTheHero
    He's either got a lame sense of humor and he's just joking around, or he's trying to playfully show you he cares and CAN take care of you in a low risk way. If you like him, respond positively to it. If you don't, tell him he's being cheesy.

That's a really stupid move on his part if that's how he chooses to express interest, though.

gsxr104
    Hmmm. I wonder if he'll be able to stay in that groove if you really do need protection. I would hate to think he'd run off or faint.
    Last edited by gsxr104; 01-10-2010 at 03:37 AM.

cbzfmoc
    Bronze Member
    I like him. But I don't need him to protect me. I am just trying to understand what is going on in his head, and what I should do next, if anything at all.

zzprometheuszz
    Quote Originally Posted by cbzfmoc [Register to see the link]
    I like him. But I don't need him to protect me. I am just trying to understand what is going on in his head, and what I should do next, if anything at all.
    he's not actually trying to "protect" you per se, it's not like you guys live in the jungle or something

it's just his way of showing his feelings

he cares about you, that's what's going on in his head

Top Threads
I need to tell him how I feel
Please refrain from commenting things such as how inappropriate / messed up this situation. If you disagree with the situation in entirety, I
How to talk to a girl in the gym
I frequently go to the gym and I have seen this one girl that I think she is pretty. It might be me but every time I turn she is looking at me or
is he into me or nah?
Hello, I got single 7 months ago and ended my contact with my ex for good 4 months ago, it ended very badly and my ex turned out to be a complete
Wierd situation with a younger guy!
Hi! First of all I want to just clarify that I don't live in the US so excuse my spelling mistakes! AND I WANT TO THANK YOU FOR YOUR PATIENCE WHILE
She's trouble
Hey everyone! So recently split from my gf of 8 months (my decision) and kinda came to terms with the fact that my head has been turned by a girl
what does this mean
Hello guys, I am looking forward for your opinion about this dilema I'm currently having quite a while back (maybe you guys faced with a similar
Girl sends me mixed signals. What does it mean?
There's this girl at my job that I'm attracted to. She's beautiful. She has a boyfriend who she has a kid with and has been with for a while. But

Featured Threads
Who is in the wrong?
This person isn't really a "friend" she is 24+ years older than me. I have a feeling I'm getting taken advantage of because of my age. I started
I became engaged with a girl who calls herself a "free spirit"......need clarity
I met a wonderful and bright girl 3.5 years ago and she by far stole my heart. She is appositely beautiful, funny, intelligent and outgoing. She is
Has anyone ever totally given up on finding love?
Hello everyone! Well I been wanting to post this for a few weeks now. I don't really know how to say it or word it. But, who here has or knows
Today "should" have been our 6 year anniversary
Today was suppose to be our 6th year together. Today is the first time on this date that we are not together. We made this date a big deal
Shoud I break up because my girlfriend hooked up with my cousin in t
I'm jealous because my girlfriend had casual sex with my cousin before she met me. We've been dating for a year, she's very funny, caring, sexy
I'm in love with my co-worker 😥
My coworker and I started working together about 10 months ago. We work closely together all day just the two of us mainly. From the day he started
Aggressive Courting
There's this girl I really, really like, and would really want to be in a relationship with. Unfortunately, recently I messed up, and now I think she
Ask For Advice