Ask For Advice

Thread: Guy friend trying to "protect" me??

cbzfmoc
    Bronze Member

Guy friend trying to "protect" me??

So I became really good friends with a guy I have known for years, during the last half a year or so. We *may* both be attracted to each other (I can only speak for myself, but I get signals from him sometimes). Thing is, he does this weird thing where he seems to be trying to show me that can protect me. When we go somewhere, for example the movies, he usually says something like "I will be your buffer" and tries to place himself where he thinks I am most likely to be "attacked." Uhhh so I am never particularly worried about being attacked. I usually kinda laugh it off and say something like, "Yeaaah I am sure those nerdy looking guys are going to attack me." I don't know, it doesn't really bother me (I find it kind of amusingly actually), I just think it's kind of weird because I definitely don't get this from any of my other guy friends. Anyone have any similar experiences or insight?

wayoverit
    A guy saying he's "PROTECTING" you is a way of him saying he doesn't have enough courage to say what he's feeling and is expecting you to make it easier for him to find an entry. Next time just grab his hand, smile, and say "I feel safe now."

ProtestTheHero
    He's either got a lame sense of humor and he's just joking around, or he's trying to playfully show you he cares and CAN take care of you in a low risk way. If you like him, respond positively to it. If you don't, tell him he's being cheesy.

That's a really stupid move on his part if that's how he chooses to express interest, though.

gsxr104
    Hmmm. I wonder if he'll be able to stay in that groove if you really do need protection. I would hate to think he'd run off or faint.
    Last edited by gsxr104; 01-10-2010 at 03:37 AM.

cbzfmoc
    Bronze Member
    I like him. But I don't need him to protect me. I am just trying to understand what is going on in his head, and what I should do next, if anything at all.

zzprometheuszz
    Quote Originally Posted by cbzfmoc [Register to see the link]
    I like him. But I don't need him to protect me. I am just trying to understand what is going on in his head, and what I should do next, if anything at all.
    he's not actually trying to "protect" you per se, it's not like you guys live in the jungle or something

it's just his way of showing his feelings

he cares about you, that's what's going on in his head

Top Threads
What the hell happened ??
I meet this guy thru a mutual friend, i know him for over a year and hung out various times at his house always in a party type settings. We never
Giving a girl chocolate
This guy I've been talking to walked up to me and said "do you want this I've been trying to watch my weight?" It was chocolate that was pink and
When a feamle professor says, "I ame here if you need me."
Hi, My female professor emailed to say, "I'm here if you need me." I was wondering what she really meant. She is my dissertation Chair and mentor
Should I be worried about this? He hasn't texted.
I have a close male friend who I've recently admitted to having feelings for. He responded by telling me that he has feelings for me too, maybe "not
Awkward around certain girls
Is there any way to stop being awkward around some girls? I'm no longer in my teens but I still tend to be awkward when I'm around certain girls
Confused
Hi there, This might be long so please bare with me there are lots of examples here for my confusion. First I would like to start by saying that I
Not Exactly Sure How To Read This Situation (Friend Zoned?)
Hey guys. I'm gonna attempt to make this short and sweet and fill in details later. About two months ago I joined a group of people with common

Expert Advice
Featured Threads
Has anyone on here used face time after meeting someone online?
Met this lady on Craigslist and when I suggested we exchange numbers so we can set up a meeting she preferred face time. I have no interest in face
Does a cheater get a second chance..?
I posted earlier but everybody's just looking at all the negative stuff which I understand but my question is if you find out your significant other
Encouragement and Advice Needed Please
Hi, When I was younger I was very ambitious and optimistic about the future, I believed I could turn things around for myself and create a
Friends..!
Can exes remain friends?
Heard something pretty rude while dining out tonight
So I'm sitting at Paneras when a man and woman sit next to me. The man announces to the woman that as of today, he's lost 35 pounds in 10 weeks from
Too many weddings and babies and I m nowhere
Hi everyone I don't even know how to start but I m feeling depressed. I m in my mid 30's and never had a kid or got married. I had few serious
Is this cheating??
My ex and I got together for closure a few weeks after our break up. We talked and said how much we loved eachother and it was very emotional
Ask For Advice