Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "He who cares the least, has the power."

anya85
    Bronze Member

"He who cares the least, has the power."

How do you feel about this statement? Do you think it's true? Does the person in the relationship, be them male or female, who cares the least--do they have the most power and essentially control the relationship?

jettison

Although it's in some ways true, in reality it's kind of sad if someone is so protected from their feelings that they aren't allowed to show that they care. Usually, this is the little game that people play with each other, and in the end, no one ever wins.

Crazyaboutdogs
    Quote Originally Posted by jettison [Register to see the link]
    Although it's in some ways true, in reality it's kind of sad if someone is so protected from their feelings that they aren't allowed to show that they care. Usually, this is the little game that people play with each other, and in the end, no one ever wins.
    I agree. Whenever people in relationships think of them in terms of "who has more power and control" ultimately it spells an unhealthy relationship and an unhealthy mindset towards relationships. Relationships should not be about power and control, they should be about equality..EVEN if one person cares more.

DropToZero
    Quote Originally Posted by anya85 [Register to see the link]
    How do you feel about this statement? Do you think it's true? Does the person in the relationship, be them male or female, who cares the least--do they have the most power and essentially control the relationship?
    It's true--but saddening, I went from one extreme of that to the other(weakest to strongest and not caring) in a matter of a year or so... and it's not something I recommend, it hurts people--and it's also empowering to not feel as much and feel protected--so it's hard to let go of once you get into it.

thebluest
    Simply put, if you don't care about something, what happens to it doesn't have the capacity to affect your feelings. That inability to be affected by things that happen may make you feel like you have the upper hand in a relationship, but it also shields you from the ability to enjoy the happy things that occur in the relationship. If you don't care about it, then when it works well, you still don't care and can't enjoy it.

A sad, sorry existence.

lostandhurt
    I think you will find if you care the least that your S/O will one day not care for you or the relationship.
    Relationships should not be about the upper hand, they should be an equal partnership. After all they are hard enough without that kind of crap.

Lost

SapphireNoir10
    Its true in that, if you don't care, you can't be hurt...therefore you have the power over the person who DOES care.

Crazyaboutdogs
    Quote Originally Posted by lostandhurt [Register to see the link]
    I think you will find if you care the least that your S/O will one day not care for you or the relationship.
    Relationships should not be about the upper hand, they should be an equal partnership. After all they are hard enough without that kind of crap.

Lost
    Exactly. Very well said. I have also seen plenty of posts on here where someone is heartbroken about losing their partner due to their own initial lack of caring. By the time they figured out that they do care, the partner was so fed up and couldn't care less anymore.

mandellin
    Sad but very true.

itsallgrand
    Quote Originally Posted by anya85 [Register to see the link]
    I don't believe it because....we each have equal say over what we want to do all the time.

So while I see some bits of truth in it, like how when you fall in love with someone this tendency to get drunk on hormones and start to make some dumb decisions even if they don't care about you the same way, I think at a deeper level neither has more control unless one person decides to hand over some to the other guy. And caring about someone doesn't necessarily mean doing that!

I agree tho with the others who are saying that relationships take enough work without that crap, and it's not healthy or really helpful to think of things that way.

What a perfect way to see if someone is capable and worth going more of the distance tho - - what kind of relationship can a person have with someone who would use something against the ones who care about them for their own advantage? Someone I wouldn't want to be with, that's who. I wouldn't even want to work with someone like that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Top Threads
Need advice
Hello everyone, I am engaged, and about to get married this year. I absolutely love my fiancÚ, he is a great guy. However we have certain
He said he had confused feelings for my friend. Was my reaction too severe?
Hi everyone, I would love to get an outside opinion on this as we don't always know in life if our reactions our justified to certain events
he somehow cheated on me and still with her
My ex and I were dating for a year and then he broke up with me 6 months ago because he felt I was pressuring him a lot. a couple of weeks later he
Broke up as he's confused feelings for ex
I met someone a year ago we began speaking and seeing each other all the time .Daily messages . He'd been split from his ex for a year. She had
He Ate My Tea!
Yeah, so you know when you're really looking forward to something nice for your tea...? So, my SO came up to me and asked which of the packs in his
Point of no return?
Hiya, Thanks for all the information it's awesome! I'm in a web of confusion at the moment. I stopped my five year relationship myself a year ago and
"Almost Boyfriend" went to cousins wedding with other girl, not me..
Hey everyone, so I've been dating this guy, lets call him Gabe for 1 month now. We've gone on more 5+ dates and have hung out almost every other

Expert Advice
Featured Threads
Don Juan President
I'm the president of Don Juans. I know all the top moves to make with females and I've had sex so many times. If a man needs advice ask right here.
Talk Dirty to Me!
OMGosh this is rampant. I have been serial dating in hopes of finding a long term relationship. BTW, nn the past two weeks I have been doing really
Is it wrong that I don't drive my parent's car to drive myself places as of now?
I am 20 and I have my driver's license but I don't have my own car yet so I have to rely on my parents and the bus to get me places but my parents
Friendship changes, how to deal?
Hello All, My friend and I are close. We consider our friendship like a brother & sister type. Lately, I've been noticing he has been treating me
Online Dating Descripton Sets Off Red Flags For Me, But Maybe Not for Others?
I have someone who has been giving me attention with Online Dating (yes, I thought I'd give it a gentle go. Dip my toe in the water even though I was
Help
Hi, I'm 37 and I have been with my partner for about 5 years and we have been married just under a year. About 5 months ago my now wife had an
Did you ever get over your first love? Post your stories!
Hello, I've been feeling kind of down lately because I always hear people saying that you never get over your first love, or you'll always compare
Ask For Advice