match.com online now

blueskiestoyou

Hi All:

I'm hoping someone out there is a techie. I've heard it's possible to have resigned from link removed, but still show up in someone else's search as "online now" simply if you have opened up an email affiliated with the email address you gave to match. Is this possible?

I sure hope so. Otherwise, the man I'm dating, who says has an expired subscription is really and truly online now.

Thanks all!

I am not a fan of cyberstalking in this way (because it ends up eroding trust and makes you crazy!) but what I would do to confirm is sign on link removed (create a fake profile or ask a friend if you can sign on under her name/password) and check his on line activity. It sounds like you don't trust him which is the bigger problem.

I do know that on the site I was on which worked similarly to match, even though I expired my membership and hid my profile, I still came up in some searches, unbeknownst to me until someone pointed it out, and then I learned I actually needed to call and have them permanently remove my profile. I had been signing on to look at friends and their matches (all of which my then SO knew) but didn't realize that I was showing up in some searches as "on line". Maybe your bf thinks he is offline as I did.

No I had an an account at match before, and believe me, if it says that they're online it's because they are online.

Thats one thing I dont' like about link removed - too many people availalble, so that when the novelty of you wears off, they just go in and relog into link removed and find someone else.

Hi All:

I'm hoping someone out there is a techie. I've heard it's possible to have resigned from link removed, but still show up in someone else's search as "online now" simply if you have opened up an email affiliated with the email address you gave to match. Is this possible?

I sure hope so. Otherwise, the man I'm dating, who says has an expired subscription is really and truly online now.

Thanks all!

But you were online too! Maybe you need to discuss this with him - it could be that his reasons are as innocent as yours!

• 4 months later...

I have also heard of this "phenomenon" .. this happens when you have "auto log in" on. not because other websites are affiliated with match, but becuase when you log on to your PC, if you have your different browsers open all the time, they can run in the background and think you are online because of the computer's activity.

Now, why he has the match browser still open/in the background is another story.

My membership long expired but I still apparently come up in matches and have even gotten email from members (though I question this). I can't remember if it said I was online, but I remember getting ims from guys asking if I was on earlier.

• 2 years later...

Well, my fiance just broke up with ME because link removed indicates I'm ON, even when I am NOT. I don't know if I have "auto-signon" and that's what is making it look that way, or what. But I am experiencing the same thing, showing as "ONLINE" when I am NOT.

It has led to the breakup of what was a great relationship, and has totally ruined my life. If anyone else has experienced this, please post here!

• 3 weeks later...
Well, my fiance just broke up with ME because link removed indicates I'm ON, even when I am NOT. I don't know if I have "auto-signon" and that's what is making it look that way, or what. But I am experiencing the same thing, showing as "ONLINE" when I am NOT.

It has led to the breakup of what was a great relationship, and has totally ruined my life. If anyone else has experienced this, please post here!

omg. that's terrible. so sorry that happened to you. i am going through this kind of thing now. he swears he cancelled and he is still showing up as online and active. i wish there was a way to know for sure.

• 2 months later...

I wanted to confirm that YES your profile can say online now, but you are NOT. I have an old "hidden" profile I no longer use...just use it to search and to read profiles that I don't want to use my real profile for..okay maybe weird but I have my reasons. I have looked at my real profile logged in as my old profile and it said I was online now. I have deleted cookies from my phone.. Done everything I can think of.. Haven't logged into my real profile account in days.... Just looked at my real profile while logged into old one and it said I was online now.. But earlier today it said "active within 24 hours. It is driving my crazy! I am not logging in at all and it is randomly changing my status!

I wanted to confirm that YES your profile can say online now, but you are NOT. I have an old "hidden" profile I no longer use...just use it to search and to read profiles that I don't want to use my real profile for..okay maybe weird but I have my reasons. I have looked at my real profile logged in as my old profile and it said I was online now. I have deleted cookies from my phone.. Done everything I can think of.. Haven't logged into my real profile account in days.... Just looked at my real profile while logged into old one and it said I was online now.. But earlier today it said "active within 24 hours. It is driving my crazy! I am not logging in at all and it is randomly changing my status!

Same thing happening to me - just rec'd an email from match that someone 'liked' me - i deleted it but then went anonymously to check my own profile - it says I am online now even though it has been more than a day. Suspicious - faking activity.

• 4 months later...

Hello:

To settle this once and for all, so no one has to guess or suppose or give half-truth information here. IF YOU EVER OPEN AN EMAIL sent to a REGISTERED email address for a link removed profile, regardless of your subscription status, link removed WILL DISPLAY YOU AS "ONLINE NOW!" - just for opening any of their emails (such as "Daily Matches") if you are connected to the internet when the email is clicked open.

As the user above has stated, this is a sad and unfortunate reality with link removed. IF you do not want to be reported as "ONLINE NOW!" to other link removed users, then do not open any of their emails unless you have disconnected from the internet. Their emails contain unique threads that are attached to the email recipient's account - when those pics and graphics populate in the email as it's opened, you are reported ONLINE NOW! immediately. Even after you close the email - even if you didn't look at it - you could still be reported as "ONLINE NOW!" for up to several hours.

TO SUMMARIZE: link removed WILL Falsely report a user as "ONLINE NOW!" - even if they have NOT logged in!!! - Get that: EVEN IF YOU HAVE NOT LOGGED IN - you will still be displayed as "ONLINE NOW!" for merely clicking on their emails to you. Beware of this sad reality before confronting an individual.

-OnlineAdvisor

Hi All:

Thanks all!

Yeah, so if someone opens the email it will say online now. ;] been on there before.

Thank you for posting this, and all the replies!

I've been seeing someone off link removed for a few weeks now and we both talked about removing our profiles. Before a date a little while ago he cancelled his. I didn't see him actually do this, but trusted him.

Two days later I snooped (yes...shame on me) and did an off line search on Match. His profile was not only active, but it was showing as online. Needless to say, I freaked. I texted him immediately asking about it. His reply was to send me a screen snapshot of the email Match sent him confirming his cancellation. The date and time of the email where the exact date and time he cancelled. To this day he has been telling me he has written emails to Match asking for the profile to be removed permanently. No response.

It's been hard for me to believe that is issue can happen with Match, and that he's not just lying. Even after reading these posts, I'm still a little skeptical. I want to be able to form trust, but it's hard when his profile is still showing as active, and occasionally recently online. I'm sure it's also hard for him to trust me when I've asked about it a few times, and admitted that I've been checking.

I want to know why this happens. If it's Match trying to keep the numbers up, shame on them!! You say you want to help people form lasting relationships, but then you do something that could ruin their chances of creating trust. The foundation of ALL good relationships. If it's just men/women lying to be able to keep their profiles active, shame on them! Go back to the club if you just want to play with people. Stop using a DATING site for your hook ups!

P.S. I've actually reactivated my account before and clicked on his profile while it was showing as "Online". Oddly, within the profile it showed "Active Within 24 Hours". I clicked back and forth a few times to make sure this wasn't just perfect timing. Nope. It continued to show two different activities. This added support to the case of Match being the issue, and not him being a liar.

Has anyone ever see this?

• 3 months later...

I'm so grateful for all these posts because my anxiety is driving me crazy. I met a guy on match who is actually great - it's early in the game so I don't want to come accross as controlling, but I told him I hid my profile to see where this goes. He states his profile is " just there" and he is not really doing anything with it...but he shows online at least 4x / day, one time while he was talking to me and driving, so I knew something was not right with match...still aggravating though cause u want to trust and build a relationship. Our dates do not give me any indication to not trust him.

I gotta just stop checking cause its driving me crazy...but it's hard. Any feedback appreciated !!!

• 6 months later...

I am having this issue right now as well. I signed up for a link removed account over a year ago, and as soon as I signed up I realized that you cannot communicate with anyone unless you have a paid subscription. Well, there are too many dating sites for me to PAY for one when I was so new to the dating game.

Well, a few weeks ago, my boyfriend asked me if I had a match account. Forgetting that I had one, because I was never active on it, I said no. Later he asked me again, and so I looked into my email and searched to see if there were emails from Match. Remembered that yes, I did have an account set up. I have not logged into my account in over a year now, and yet my boyfriend was able to screenshot my profile showing that I was online in the last two weeks (This was WEEKS ago that he screenshot this.) and yet, I know for a fact that I never signed in. I had to send myself a password recovery email just to log in to see why it would be showing that, last night.

I called Tech support and they confirmed that if you were to even OPEN an email from link removed, without ever being redirected to the site, it will show you as active. This is a HUGE problem, and unfortunately, I am sure there are more stories out there than ours.

Would anybody know if this also happens on POF?

POF emails contain links, and I understand one would have to click on the link in order to trigger the "on line" indication.

I havent been on POF in months and months; I no longer remember my sign on. While I believe I have disabled my account, I continue to get notices of people in whom I may be interested (according to POF). The same thing happens with Matchmaker. So, I assume my profile is being shopped to others as well, despite me having disabled it. Annoying, and something I will solve one day when I can work the phone and get past the security screen necessary since I can't remember how tot sign on.

• 3 months later...

Those who contend that if the site says "online now" then the person is truly online are totally mistaken. I had the same problem and had to contact link removed customer service. They looked at my profile and told me that it said "online now" while I was signed out and my computer was SHUT DOWN. Work order 140911-000961 was filed and they eventually fixed it. Those who do not know what they are talking about should not answer questions in forums.

Archived