Why am i so slow at work?

I've always been quite slow at everything, last one to finish my lunch at school, last one to finish an exam or even the last one to catch onto a joke. Lately at work i have realised that i AM still slow now! I work in retail and thought i was good at my job but apparently i was close to getting fired in the beginning because i am so slow at everything i did i really don't understand how i could go any quicker, it seems the faster i go the slower it happens! Now i am really paranoid that i am **** at my job and if i do something wrong i'll get fired.. Its really not what i need to hear right now, my self-esteem is rapidly running out and this news has really hurt me. I guess i must be better now because i am still there but i just need some advice really on how i can work quicker? Ive tried looking on efficiancy but it all seems to be about more office work. My work is more product based.

Basically i have to go through a list of products, see if they're on the shelf and if they're not then i have to find them and put them out. For some reason i find this really difficult and for me to almost be fired over it i must be pretty bad! Are there any vitamins i can take or a certain diet i can eat to make me more on the ball?

Any replies will be much appreciated, really quite worried here x

I know how u feel. I've always been slow. At work my boss has me use abbreviations alot and the tab button instead of the mouse. Anyway, I hate to say it, but some people are just slow and some are fast. can't really change that other then to find as many shortcuts as u can.

like maybe look for the products colors instead of readin it? (like a red can or scarf for example) Also, if you just wanna improve u brain power eat alot of fish or omega fish oils, also blueberries and do things like sodoku to keep your mind sharp.

Thank you for your reply Christiana glad im not the only one! I thought as much. Guess everyone is different.. but to almost be fired over it! Thats really bad! I could try shortcuts but its all done by lists and its a bit hard to take shortcuts. I've even tried ticking things off that i haven't actually found! Bearing in mind here that i only do this once a week and used to only work once a week until i got a full time contract. I guess judging by the fact that i am still there i must be better now but i am slow, think it runs in the family, my sister is exactly the same if not worse.

I'm going to try taking fish oils, i dont really like fish so im probably lacking omega 3.

Is it true that cocoa is good for the brain, so therefore pure dark chocolate, one square a day?

What are your strengths? What motivates you?

Retail isn't for everyone! I'm a slow mover as well. But depending on where and what I am doing - - some places I'm a lot slower than others. A combination of natural methodical tendencies and motivation (or lack of).

Physical training and proper nutrition of course can help, but we are all different anyways. When something needs to be done fast, to me it's mostly a matter of forcing myself to practice it and push myself until it comes naturally. When the work is boring, I make games out of it and put myself on little time schedules (finish X by this time, etc.).

Oh which reminds me, organization and planning helps tonnes. Especially when what you are doing doesn't play to natural talents.

Thanks itsallgrand What motivates me is art and music, not quite sure of my strengths though i do know that it takes me a loooong time to get settled and to get used to things but i just need to fast forward a bit. I swear no one else at my work has this problem.

I think your right, lack of motivation plays a part in this. I mean i love the people i work with but the work itself is pretty boring! So making games out of it could help, and organization definitely would help. My brain is all over the place; i'll start something then move onto something else, not really a good system! Will try these things next time and see if it helps, thanks or perhaps a career change is needed..

To be honest, crimson-rose, I think it goes with the territory if you're into art and music; it suggests that you're right-brained, and organisation and being methodical don't hang easily with that. On the other hand, are you good at lateral thinking, problem-solving and being creative?

You're obviously OK at your job - otherwise, as you say, you wouldn't be there still - but I am wondering if you are in the best job for you. Don't worry about news which is now history (I'm guessing this was said to you because that's NOT the case any more, and it's therefore safe to say it).

I've got a lot of sympathy. At school, I was always the last to finish my lunch, get changed after games an' all that stuff. I was fifty this year and - guess what! - nothing's changed!

This is very true im very unorganised and not methodical at all however good at being creative and problems solving (and also left handed - so its true what they say; left handed, right-brained) Its just how i can work these into my job.. I know i am in the wrong profession and to be honest - there is nothing wrong with retail - but i want something more than shelf filling, its not very fulfilling or motivating in the slightest. Although some people love it, the only reason i stay is because of the people i work with. I am just not sure what kind of career i can do that matches my personality and way of working? And if i am stuck with it for life, then in case i guess i need to find a job that fits me Thank you for your reply

Its strange you mention that, i was training to be an adult nurse up until a couple of months ago, before i decided it wasn't for me, hence why i am now working full time in retail (which is where i used to work on weekends for a bit of money). However, i kind of withdrew from the course because i wanted to go down the mental health route i spent a month placement working in a mental health unit and enjoyed it. I have the option to start this course in march but i am still undecided if i should stick with this retail job because im not sure what i want.

I love art so much, but have no idea what creative professions there are out there..

Not even sure why this news about almost being fired has affected me so much, guess i just hate the fact that people think of me that way, i like to think i am good at what i do.

You are definitely right about this job not being the right profession.

Not sure how wages in retail compare with being a Nursing Assistant in mental health - you might want to check it out. You don't need any specific qualifications to do this, but you can work towards them whilst still in employment. I see you're based in the UK; why not check out the NHS jobs site?

Other than that, it sounds as though you could do worse than go to your local library and check out the careers advice bit!

Hmm probably alot more in mental health..I earn roughly £14000 a year for my job at the moment (not sure of the exchange rate) but its a reasonable amount and will go up once i have been there a year. I know for an adult nursing assistant its less than that, not sure what is is for mental health.. i will have to look into it. Some careers advice is definitely needed, might help me figure out what i actually want to do for my career and also maybe find something that suits me thank you for all your advice, it has helped alot

Well, what are your strengths as a person? And could you translate those strengths into a given vocation?

Kind of like a person who excels at physical activity could be in professional sport, or a fitness coach, etc. Somebody who likes good food and wine could be a chef, food critic, etc. Another who is very analytical could be a statistician.

I think that most people get fired from a job at least once in their life for being too slow. We all have different skills, and are better at different things.

Just do your best everyday and don't live in fear. If they fire you, they fire you. If they don't, they don't. Just take each day as it comes. Remember, lots of people get fired, and find something else they are really good at it.

• 2 years later...

Hello! I know exactly how you feel. I think I am like that too. But I like to tell myself that I do a more thorough job than many other 'fast' people, which I do believe is true. But trying to work faster and be more productive is on my aim list. For your situation, I would recommend organizing your items in alphabetical order. OR arranging in big categories of items like fruits, medicines, books etc. (hypothetical) and then the items in alphabetical order in each category. Hope that helps!

Archived