10 days late period, some spotting, but no real bleeding....

saren

I've never had a problem with irregular period (except when I was on oral B/C, which I stopped in August). On Haloween, I had unprotected sex, and was pleased when my period (which was 2 weeks late) arrived the next day. It did it's thing without incident.

I was due for next period Dec. 1. Nothing has come my way, except 6 solid weeks of cramping, and some minor spotting this morning (8th). On the 2nd I took a home pregnancy test, which was negative.

I'm thinking the chances I'm pregnant are pretty low (even though my mom didn't get a positive on a pee-stick until nearly 3 months). However, when I went to see my doctor about this, she told me not to worry about it and if it does it for a couple more months, to come back. The thing is, the constant cramping and "full" feeling are getting pretty old.

Has anyone else had this experience?

If I were you I would take another test. First day after a missed period can be a bit early for a positive test, but if you were pregnant it's unlikely that you'd test negative now.

If the test turns out negative, wait and see. Personally (and given that I really don't want to have a baby), I would make an appointment at the doctor's office to have a blood test if my period did not show up within the next week or so. If I were pregnant, I'd want to know ASAP.

LOL that was why I WENT to the doctor. She seemed to think that the 3lbs of water/weight fluctuation threw off my period, and made me pee in the cup! I wanted th blood test, but she didn't want to do it. *sigh*

When did you go to the doctor? Today? So you had a urine pregnancy test today and that came out negative?

I guess I would wait another week, and if no period, march in there demanding a blood test.

I went to the doctor around the 23rd of November. Around the time a blood test should pick up, but before a urine test would pick it up.

My HPT was on the 1 Dec (1 week ago, the day I was due) -- Neg

No sex since Halloween?

If that's the case, it doesn't sound like you need to worry. I'm sure your period will turn up sooner rather than later.

OK, so I went to the doctor yesterday, and she gave me a urine test (neg), and a requisition for bloodwork. They want to test HCG, kidney function, prog/est, and a couple other things.

So, we're 13 days late, and still the same story. No period, no positive test, and morning spotting (this time, though, it extended itself to about 1pm and then stopped).

Ho hum. Can't get to the blood lab until Monday, and should have test results back to Dr. a week from then. Back to peeing in the cup/on the stick, I guess.

13 days isn't TOO bad. Honestly, I think up to a month late is pretty normal, as long as it's not happening on a regular.

Sometimes our bodily functions can be irregular due to the slightest change in stress levels, change in lifestyle, diet, exercise, etc.

My best friend's period is so irregular that she freaks out when it actually comes on time lol She can't even keep count anymore, cuz it has a mind of its own. She'll get it today, then 2 months from now, then the next month, then skip 3 months, etc., and there's apparently nothing wrong with her.

I also doubt you're pregnant, and you have been bloated for a while & are feeling symptoms of your period coming on. My guess is you're pretty close to shedding, but for some reason it's just taking longer than usual.

Don't stress it for now. Whenever I'm a few days late on my period, I freak out (even though I haven't been sexually active for months). The moment I forget about it & stop freaking out is when I get it lol

I'd just wait it out if I were you. 18 days still isn't too bad, I dont want to scare you but I didn't get a positive on both my pregnancies til I was 10 weeks gone. For some reason my blood and urine just didnt throw anything up til then. Bit like your mum really. With this pregnancy I had no idea and I know that sounds dumb of me but my periods were irregular and when it didn't come in July like it should have I suspected but tested and waited then tested again...and again. lol. I put on weight, not bloated, actually put on a few pounds around the middle.

Im not saying you are pregnant but just be aware that it could happen, there is no point worrying yourself and freaking out, you cant really make any decisions til you know for sure anyway can you? I know its hard but just wait it out and try to carry on as normal. Hope this helps

I got a call from the Doctor's office today: said that it's "not urgent, but they would like me to come in".

Whatever that means...

I'm not trying to worry you, but when my doctor's office contacted me a few months ago, they said the exact same thing. "It's not urgent, but it's important that you come in at your earliest convenience."

It was for the results of my first pap smear. I ended up having HPV (gone now), but it scared the heck out of me.

I hope yours isn't anything similar, but you should go in as soon as possible just to be safe.

They called me in for NOTHING it seems.

He said my HCG is "zero" and my hormones seem spot on, but then said I should retest (blood) in another 3 weeks if I still haven't menstruated. THEN he said that the other doctor was jumping the gun testing me for these things anyway (thought I was glad my thyroid was working 100%, long wondered about it, figured to ask for it since I was getting poked anyway) and that they don't usually start diagnostics for amenorrhea until 3 months.

And THEN he gave me the little pep talk about how these things tend to sort themselves out on their own, but if my discomfort gets worse, to by all means come back. And then he made me pee in a cup to test for UTI (was this this reason for calling me in?) and send me on my way.

So....? I get to get bloodtested again in 3 weeks?

I talked to my friend who is a nurse, and she said that no woman ever has "Zero" HCG, and even Wikipedia confirmed that (when has THAT ever lied to me, LOL), and said I should get an ultrasound, even if I have to pay privately for it. I'm actually about to, just to put an end to this, and know if I can enjoy my annual mulled wine festivities this week or NOT. If I am pregnant, I would be about 7 weeks now, and that should show up on imaging.

PS: This was a cocky young male doctor, not the "Everybody's Mommy" doctor I had before who ordered the blood test (and, ironically, prescribed the birth control! LOL) I've never seen this young man before, but he certainly seems to think he's an expert on the way a woman's body works.

My period was 6 weeks late one time..your body has 'funks'..sometimes it malfunctions. I highly doubt your pregnant..and to be honest..think the ultrasound is uneccesary.

I would give it a few weeks and see if your period shows up..then get the blood work again if you haven't as your doctor instructed..and then consider an ultrasound..

It's easy to obsess and over-react..

6 weeks eh? Maybe I'm not so bad. I'll give it some time, and we'll see.

Regarding the ultrasound, it's not just the lacking period that makes me think of having one, it's that this isn't entirely painless. Every time I tighen my abs it even hurts, and if I lie down and palpate the lower abdominal area, it's tender, and then I hit one particular spot on the left hand side and "!!!!!!!!!!!" Oh my God. Not cool. That was part of what brought me into the doctor's office the first time around. That pain used to be consistent cramping, starting around the third week of October, and now it's intermittent, unless I touch it. Whatever it is, it's not a particularly good time.

Archived