Honey / Cinnamon weight loss.

Hey I've been reading up on this and have tried it a lil bit haven't noticed nothing after almost 2 weeks. My question is this though. Why does the water have to be boiled then letting the cinnamon steep? why can't I turn on the tap put honey and cinnamon in and bang just drink it like that since after you appearantly have to boil it you put the rest of the mixture in the fridge anyways to drink it cool later. Will I not get the benefits of it if the water is cold ?

I think it would just be to infuse the water with more cinnamon - just like adding a tea bag to cold water doesn't infuse the water half as much as adding a tea bag to hot//boiling water.

Honestly though, I was just reading about this and it sounds like total superstition, no actual basis in fact that it really causes weight loss. I'm very skeptical.

While honey has health benefits itself, presuming a health benefit from any "cleansing" aspect of this concoction is complete fad BS. If you want to supplement an already balanced diet with this, go ahead. You won't cause yourself harm (like I said, a bit of honey is good), but I doubt you'll see any weight/fat loss (and if you do its certainly not from 'cleaning').

I only REALLY get vocal when people combine stuff like this with fasting, which has outright detrimental health aspects, as well as being counter-productive to any attempts to improve your body (especially for men) since fasting wreaks havoc on your metabolism, burns significantly more muscle tissue than fat, and screws with your blood-sugar and hormone levels.

As for your question - there may be merit to heating the honey, as the heat can activate protein enzymes. This affect is seen by the sedative nature of warm/hot milk.

As for your question - there may be merit to heating the honey, as the heat can activate protein enzymes. This affect is seen by the sedative nature of warm/hot milk.

Actually, according to what I just read online, you specifically CAN'T heat the honey, because the hot water will destroy enzymes in the honey. You heat the water, soak the cinnamon in it, then when it's cool add the honey.

Great post, BTW.

Philminator, have you spoken with your doctor about your weight loss efforts? I know a lot of them will just throw the old diet and exercise at you without many specifics, but a lot of doctors I know are very keen to see their overweight patients lose weight and will really help them with figuring out appropriate diet and exercise plans.

Actually, according to what I just read online, you specifically CAN'T heat the honey, because the hot water will destroy enzymes in the honey. You heat the water, soak the cinnamon in it, then when it's cool add the honey.

Ahh ok, I was mistaken about that bit.

OP, that DESIRE you are showing to get fit will be far more effective than any little fad thing like this.

My quick guide to getting fit (in order of most effective with least effort):

1. Stop drinking soda and juice. Drink water only (coffee/tea is good).

2. Get your daily fibre.. any way you want.. just make sure you get it.

3. Eat smaller portion sizes. This is hard for about a week but then you don't understand how you used to eat as much as you did.

4. Eat several times a day of small amounts (coincides with point 3).

5. HIIT (high intensity interval training) is your friend... can provide more than 10x the fat burning of regular exercise. It is HARD though, takes SOO much willpower.

6. Eat protein just before weights.

7. Eat carbs just before endurance cardio.

8. EPOC (excess post oxygen consumption) is also your friend. It is a result from working out and it's higher from weights than cardio. It jacks up your metabolism for 24-48 hours after your work out.. you literally burn calories while sleeping.

9. Get enough sleep. Every night.

10. Be less concerned about WEIGHT loss, particularly RAPID weight loss, than about getting fit and strong.

Keep yourself motivated, and if you can keep it up for 2 months, you should see enough improvement to keep motivated for as long as you'd like.

My doctor is useless and getting a new one is out of the question, even my diabetic nurse is not helpfull other then, eat 2000 calories a day and exercise, I do that and im getting stronger and more toned and my cardio is gone through the roof, whoopie im still 50 pounds overweight. I walk 5-7 km a day as well.

well I'm on the right track, I been smoke free, drug free, alcohol free, soda free for 10 years. All I drink is water my bread is whole wheat, I take fibre 1 cereal. I walk ALOT and I just started weights last week for the first time in 12 years. And yes I will do that interval training thing. Example.... correct me if I'm wrong. Run super fast for 30 seconds then slow down for 2 or 3 minutes then run again super fast for 30 seconds and slow down again for 2-3 on treadmill or eliptical correct? and to be honest I think before it's hard to tell exactly as I never kept track much but for about 10 years I think I ate roughly 3500 calories a day and didnt move at all all day since I'm on disability. now the past year I'm walking a lot and keeping active and my calories as of just about 10 days ago are roughly 2000 calories as directed by my diabetic nurse, I have to admit it's hard. sometimes I feel like I'm shaking and going through withdrawls from food if I keep at 2000, so drugs booze, and cigarettes were easy to cut out of my life but cutting back calories is so hard, go figure

Yup, you got the interval training thing. You can actually do it for weights too - but don't go FAST like with cardio... just go high weight, with a short rest, then repeat.

I'm surprised about this 2000 calorie level ... but a medical nurse is more qualified than I, and I do recall something about very restrictive calorie levels for diabetics and borderline diabetics (my friend has recently been diagnosed and has something similar despite being a 6'7" giant). Still though, too steep of a calorie deficiency can result in muscle loss just the same or faster than fat loss, although that ratio changes the more overweight you are (more overweight then more fat is lost). If diabetes was not a factor, I'd say 2000 calories was too few at this stage, and you should be aiming more around 2600, to be reduced gradually as your weight comes down, until the 2000 mark when you are within desired weight range.

Walking is great for a person that is out of shape and is starting to ramp their activity levels. That said, if you feel your body is ready for it, you probably should start shifting some of your walking time into more intense activity. By this point your walking - while better than doing nothing - is probably reaching its limit on its effectiveness for you.

Please confirm with a [good] doctor that an intense workout regime is appropriate for your medical situation before trying the more serious things like HIIT, as my research and experience haven't involved diabetes.

Archived