Long distance is hard...

-Sanguine-

completely worth it for him, but it's hard.

Basically, I just feel like venting and hearing others [positive] experiences with long distance relationships.

So, tell me about yours...

how long were/are you LD?

how did you get through the roughest times?

Just feeling a bit lonely and missing him and I know we're gonna be fine but I'd like to hear some inspiring stories, too.

And yes, I know, some don't work out, but please don't post and tell me that. I am aware, lol.

how long were/are you LD?

A year and a half.

how did you get through the roughest times?

We agreed that even if we have arguments, we would never go to bed angry with each other.

Every relationship takes hard work, but if you're both willing to make things work, anything is possible.

I'm so sorry, I meant to reply to this a few days ago and ran out of time.

My relationship was technically LDR for 7 years. The first three years, we lived three hours apart and had limited access to transportation that would take us to each other. Then I went abroad for a year, and we only saw each other twice in 13 months. For three more years, we were 2 hours away from each other by car, and had vehicles of our own, so we saw each other more frequently, but I still kind of call that LDR.

We are now married and living in the same house, and thrilled at how much money we are saving in transportation costs!

We got through some of the toughest times by making extra effort to stay in communication and keep our communication clear. Others may not like this idea, but planning for our next visit was something that helped me keep my anxiety levels down, which helped me to not start petty arguments.

I also started playing an online game with him - we couldn't be physically together, but being together "virtually" helped. It sort of felt like I was right there with him, and it gave us something to talk about other than how much we missed each other. He was a gamer, though, so it made this option a fairly natural choice.

I like Jd1118's suggestion of not going to bed angry, too. I find that anger festers overnight.

My parents relationship was LDR for....9 years, Like totally on the other side of the world kind of LDR, they lived...like 15 hours apart by plane ride, if my calculation is right. or more lol.

I would say they got through the distance and rough times because they were always set on seeing each other and communicating. They had snail mail stuff from back then it's sorta sweet to see, cause they had loads. It's amazing, but LDR of today would be easier to communicate now rather than my parents time then, so just as long as the people in a relationship are strong on keeping it together. ^^

Oh & when they saw each other back then, they made sure to like spend time truly together and to the fullest, they went all kinda sight seeing and going to places that was memorable to them or creating more memories that they would hold dear, like going to the place where they met and stuff.

And I'm in LDR too, haha. XP But not as long as my parents o.o, right now is 3 months and going to see my love next year round june, though the distance is really far like 15 hrs plane ride as well. I'm set on being together with my baby so we're both workin' hard to see each other more. It's really hard but I love my baby so much, it's really worth it.

Ah, rough times, most of the time we just truly talk about it, when we get into arguments, I won't leave it in a bad note, I just can't. We're just very honest with each other, when we don't get a hold of each other for a two days or so, we would write a long message of what happened, it make it seems like they are part of your everyday I guess. Oh, and we like to keep it exciting now and then, even though we're far apart, we tease each other and do some playful flirting

Love, trust, communication

I've been in a long-distance relationship for almost 18 months.

There have been times when things have gotten really tough. One time we almost broke up, but we realized one of our main problems was focusing on the negatives and on the problems and not just having fun with each other.

It can be really easy to forget to just have fun with the other person when all you can really do is talk. There's no way to go for walks or go to dinner to just ignore the stress. For couples who tend to ignore issues, that can be a good thing, but my fiance and I err on the side of discussing things to death. So we had to remind ourselves to have fun and just to remember why we fell in love with each other.

Archived