Why Do People Slam Doors? Is It Possible That They Don't Realize It? Can A Person Be That Careless?

RougeKali823

I wake up to a slammed door every morning and it is driving me up a wall. Is it really that difficult to close a door.

My roommate slams the shower door, kitchen cupboards, bathroom door, refrigerator door and her room door. I think it is so inconsiderate and telling of how immature she is. I have asked her to stop, to no avail. I realize that her room door often gets stuck and requires a little pushinhg but she also does little stuff like slamming the toilet seat down. Can a person really be this careless?

Sounds to me like this persistent slamming of doors, cupboards etc has to do with laziness. It takes more effort to close a door, cupboard, toilet seat slowly then to just fling it shut. You can drop the toilet seat down from a close to the bottom rather than from the complete upright position pushing it and letting it drop on its own (which slams it down). A cupboard door or room door can be pushed closed rather than flung shut. Your roommate is either lazy, likes the noise of slamming anything, or just wants to make some kind of bold statement.

Sounds to me like this persistent slamming of doors, cupboards etc has to do with laziness. It takes more effort to close a door, cupboard, toilet seat slowly then to just fling it shut. You can drop the toilet seat down from a close to the bottom rather than from the complete upright position pushing it and letting it drop on its own (which slams it down). A cupboard door or room door can be pushed closed rather than flung shut. Your roommate is either lazy, likes the noise of slamming anything, or just wants to make some kind of bold statement.

That's what I'm thinking because when I get up to take a shower in the mornings I use a piece of toilet tissue so as not to slam down the seat and I also make sure not to slam my door, or the shower door, so as not to wake her up. Yet she just slams everything. She also doesn't wash her hands upon leaving the restroom so she may just be lazy.

Hmm, yes I doubt she's doing it to spite you. I know I only started being careful about not slamming doors when I had a baby living in the same house as me and would get yelled at!

LOL, she is a very self absorbed person and I cant think of any other reason since I've already told her that it bothers me.

I agree with everyone else here. I doubt this person is doing it to spite you. They probably don't know how much it bothers you.

I'd sit down and have a talk with your roommate. Just say that you're very noise-sensitive, and that the sound of slamming doors is very abrasive to you. Or something to that effect; put it in your own words. If your roommate likes you and is a considerate, respectful person, they'll try to abstain from slamming every door, and will be quieter.

My husband's family are very loud people. They stomp when they walk. They talk loud, they slam doors etc. They are not trying to be annoying, it is just who they are.It is super annoying to me and my son who like things very quiet.It gangles our nerves. We learn to live with it. Some people are truly not empathic to anyone's plight at all. That is who they are. I have found very few people who actually go out of their way to be purposely annoying.

My husband's family are very loud people. They stomp when they walk. They talk loud, they slam doors etc. They are not trying to be annoying, it is just who they are.It is super annoying to me and my son who like things very quiet.It gangles our nerves. We learn to live with it. Some people are truly not empathic to anyone's plight at all. That is who they are. I have found very few people who actually go out of their way to be purposely annoying.

I'm am truly one of those few people. I will make myself uncomfortable so as not to annoy others. However, I have Anxiety and the constant noise makes me feel like there is unresolved tension and increases my attacks.

The lady who lived downstairs to me used to slam her door all the time. I think it has something to do with sexual frustration or anger issues.

My roommate is a virgin who is very into oral sex and although she swears she is a commitment phobe, is very easily swayed by men and wants a serious relationship badly. So, maybe.

I'm am truly one of those few people. I will make myself uncomfortable so as not to annoy others. However, I have Anxiety and the constant noise makes me feel like there is unresolved tension and increases my attacks.

Noise really gets to me as well. My son is also autistic and has sensory issues and noise drives him to tears. I know it is hard. Really. Some people however do not understand why WE are so sensitive and have no empathy for it. They are not being mean, it is just that there are very few true empaths around. I really hate noises too, it sets off my PTSD.Try relaxation when you get anxious.

Noise really gets to me as well. My son is also autistic and has sensory issues and noise drives him to tears. I know it is hard. Really. Some people however do not understand why WE are so sensitive and have no empathy for it. They are not being mean, it is just that there are very few true empaths around. I really hate noises too, it sets off my PTSD.Try relaxation when you get anxious.

What are some good relaxation techniques? As you saw in my other thread my anxiety is linked to ringing in my ears and so all this slamming of doors and things is making that a common occurrence. I know you are a holiday person, like me, so I know you will understand that I am ecstatic about going away on Monday for Thanksgiving! That is what has been getting me through for the last week or so.

What are some good relaxation techniques? As you saw in my other thread my anxiety is linked to ringing in my ears and so all this slamming of doors and things is making that a common occurrence. I know you are a holiday person, like me, so I know you will understand that I am ecstatic about going away on Monday for Thanksgiving! That is what has been getting me through for the last week or so.

Ok....let me get back to you on a good relaxation technique. A friend of mine knows a really good one but I can not remember off hand. I usually breath deep and close my eyes and visualize things I love and things I like and I take time to do that every day. The other thing I do is read books about religious figures or the Bible, but not everyone is religious so it may not apply to them. That calms me a lot. I think you are religious though. Spending time in prayer and self reflection is also calming. Every soul NEEDS some quiet, or it becomes so jumbled and anxious.

That's what I'm thinking because when I get up to take a shower in the mornings I use a piece of toilet tissue so as not to slam down the seat and I also make sure not to slam my door, or the shower door, so as not to wake her up. Yet she just slams everything. She also doesn't wash her hands upon leaving the restroom so she may just be lazy.

I don't know how you live with this person. That is just nasty and inconsiderate. This would KILL me. My OCD would come out in full swing. I would not want to touch anything after her. You must be a saint!

You might try looking at your local hardware store or Bed Bath and Beyond for the sticky things that you can put on cabinet doors to prevent the hard slam. The ones we have are clear and they have an adhesive backing. You put them on the two corners of the door and the prevent that hard slamming sound that the cabinet door makes when you shut it.

I don't know how you live with this person. That is just nasty and inconsiderate. This would KILL me. My OCD would come out in full swing. I would not want to touch anything after her. You must be a saint!

You might try looking at your local hardware store or Bed Bath and Beyond for the sticky things that you can put on cabinet doors to prevent the hard slam. The ones we have are clear and they have an adhesive backing. You put them on the two corners of the door and the prevent that hard slamming sound that the cabinet door makes when you shut it.

It has probably been the biggest challenge of my life when it comes to testing my patience. I use lysol spray on all door knobs and I never sit on the toilet. Even on her cycle she will change her pad and not wash her hands, then go get a bite to eat from the kitchen. I swear I am loosing it...I will look into some things that might minimize the door noise until I can move out.

How do you know she doesn't wash her hands after using the toilet?

I hear her every time she goes to the bathroom, she goes in and flushes the toilet and comes right out. Plus I change the soap pump and the sink is dry and the pump untouched each time. My mom noticed it too; I am 100% certain she does not wash her hands upon leaving the rest room. She will openly admit to it too. In the past she has said, we are always exposed to germs so it doesn't matter.

I hear her every time she goes to the bathroom, she goes in and flushes the toilet and comes right out. Plus I change the soap pump and the sink is dry and the pump untouched each time. My mom noticed it to; I am 100% certain she does not wash her hands upon leaving the rest room. She will openly admit to it too. In the past she has said, we are always exposed to germs so it doesn't matter.

um ew...ok that is NOT ok.

How do you know she doesn't wash her hands after using the toilet?

My brother's ex gf never did. I always knew because you heard the flush and then the door to the bathroom open. Grossed me out to no end. The last straw was when she started rummaging in our fridge after the bathroom. We told her about it, but to no avail. Between that and her surly attitude, we finally banned her from our house.

Ok....let me get back to you on a good relaxation technique. A friend of mine knows a really good one but I can not remember off hand. I usually breath deep and close my eyes and visualize things I love and things I like and I take time to do that every day. The other thing I do is read books about religious figures or the Bible, but not everyone is religious so it may not apply to them. That calms me a lot. I think you are religious though. Spending time in prayer and self reflection is also calming. Every soul NEEDS some quiet, or it becomes so jumbled and anxious.

Yes, I am religious and I have this Joel Osteen book that I'm almost finished with that has been helping me. I have tried visualizing and I'll wait on your other technique.

My brother's ex gf never did. I always knew because you heard the flush and then the door to the bathroom open. Grossed me out to no end. The last straw was when she started rummaging in our fridge after the bathroom. We told her about it, but to no avail. Between that and her surly attitude, we finally banned her from our house.

Wish I could ban my roommate from my apartment too she has a really nasty attitude and she's racist.

Archived