Ask For Advice

Thread: Stopping your breath while falling asleep ?

Tarkan

Stopping your breath while falling asleep ?

Last night I couldn't sleep because everytime I tried I had a strange sensation of suffocation, like if I forgot to breath. It doesn't happen on regular base but it wasn't the first time either. Seriously, I was so afraid to go to sleep because it really felt like dying !

Is this a bad sign for anything else ? How can you prevent this ?

gsxr104
    If I don't stand to be corrected, this is called sleep apnea. You could either rent an uncomfortable mask for, anywhere from a few days to who knows when, have surgery to correct the issue or you could lose some weight- about ten pounds, which would probably correct the problem on it's own.

MrWallFlower
    Anxiety can cause this symptom too.

15 Storeys High
    Platinum Member 15 Storeys High's Avatar
    Sleep apnea occurs when you are already asleep. If you're not asleep and are getting these feelings whilst trying to fall asleep it's likely to be stress or anxiety related. You cannot "forget" to breathe. You brain won't let you unless it is severely injured. The brain will automatically wake a person suffering with sleep apnea once it detects carbon dioxide levels getting to high. If this continues and you find this anxiety increasing you will need to go and see a doctor. A lack of sleep is incredibly debilitating.

Tarkan
    Ok thanks alot, no surgery for me then

I was indeed awake. And it's probably anxiety since I was worrying to much that night. What's the best way to relax then ? Because I really felt like dying

15 Storeys High
    Platinum Member 15 Storeys High's Avatar
    There are lots of techniques around to help a person relax. Breathing and visualisation techniques are the easiest.....try having a look at this web page....

link removed

Victoria66
    Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    This happens to me every night as I fall asleep. It feels like your breath catches in your throat and you are suffocating and gasping to catch your breath. I agree it is stress or anxiety. I know for me it is panic. I know it is not apnea because I breath perfectly fine when I am asleep. I also get this when I am awake. I just close my eyes and breath deeply and imagine something that I enjoy and remind myself that there is no way I am going to die and it is only anxiety and that I can control that.

camarina
    This happens to me from time to time as I fall asleep. It seems to happen when I am feeling very stressed and/or anxious. It's not apnea and it has nothing to do with my weight (I'm fit).

cami

Top Threads
Soft Drinks
I have decided to give up soft drinks for 1 week to see if I can do it. I love diet coke! I have read articles on how people lose weight by cutting
Weird quitting smoking withdrawals..help?
I quit smoking just a couple of days ago. I knew that craving cigarettes is a no brainer being part of the quitting process. But I'm having the
Related to IUD or something else
Yesterday I awoke to a sharp pain, I believe in my ovary. Today it's more dull than sharp, but my period started about 4 days ago, so I'm not
Medication review & feel secure about no longer needing it
It has been a long haul since my complete breakdown in July 2012. After a few years of therapy ,a year and a bit on Klonopin and then only very
Always hurting inside, low self esteem?
I was ok, not the best, but all this super low esteem came out when my dad started giving me these lectures. I could say there is no worse pain then
I feel like I'm going to go insane.
So, this is going to take forever. I'd be tempted to just drop down and accept what I'm becoming, but I do need some serious help and I have nowhere
Too many things piling up at once.... I feel like I'm spiraling down.
I started my first semester at college in September. Making friends has been incredibly hard, but I managed to make an incredibly close friend who I

online counseling
Featured Threads
Ugly pictures
We had a professional photographer come in at work. I used the photo and put it on my dating profile. But when my Roomie saw it,she said take it
Not being "too" available.
I posted a few days ago about the younger guy I've been dating for 6 months and how he doesn't want to use BG/GF labels. I got some great feedback
I am having difficulty accepting my boyfriends bisexuality for no reason
So here goes; the main reason why I got this account here is probably because I am so ashamed of myself and that because I am surrounded by either
relationship advice
hi... I'll start by saying i'm a guy, i just really needed a woman's point of view for this, so i hope you can help me! My mom is paying for my
Seeing ex tomorrow..so confused. Need advice!
Hi everyone. I'm really confused with my ex. Dated two years; he was very hurt by the breakup. He hasn't dated many people, and I was his first
Needing advice and/or support with ex girlfriend
Ok. Long story short... I ended up in a serious relationship with my best friend of 7 years. The last 3 years of which we were in a serious
I really need some advice and a outside opinion
I really don't know what to do ... My girlfriend and I have been dating for about a year now she is no longer attracted to me but tells me she loves
Ask For Advice